Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Is my seatpost clamped correctly (first tri bike)?
Quote | Reply
Hi all,

I completely recognize this might be a totally asinine and overly-neurotic question, but it's really bugging me, so was hoping to run it by everyone. I recently had my LBS build up my new tri bike. After receiving it back, I noticed that the screw on the seatpost clamp is looking kind of funny - it's going in at an angle instead of level. Is this normal?

Again, I know this might be a stupid question, but this is my first tri bike and I've read some horror stories on here with seatposts cracking because of incorrect clamping. So just wanted to check before taking this out for my first spin - can't wait!

Thanks in advance!

Images here
Last edited by: SBR10003: Dec 20, 17 18:26
Quote Reply
Re: Is my seatpost clamped correctly (first tri bike)? [SBR10003] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Wedge press, so angle is normal.
Quote Reply
Re: Is my seatpost clamped correctly (first tri bike)? [SBR10003] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply

The edge of the screw in the last picture looks messed up like the wrench slipped.

Once, I was fast. But I got over it.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Example of clamp that is likely of similar design (not a QR). I positioned it so you can see the bolt will follow line of seatpost and top cap will true to top tube creating an angle. Through hole is "egg" shaped to accommodate, of course a QR expert, i.e. Slowman can confirm specifics of the clamp, but I am 99%:)

Cheers!

Quote Reply
Re: Is my seatpost clamped correctly (first tri bike)? [ktm520] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ktm520 wrote:
Example of clamp that is likely of similar design (not a QR). I positioned it so you can see the bolt will follow line of seatpost and top cap will true to top tube creating an angle. Through hole is "egg" shaped to accommodate, of course a QR expert, i.e. Slowman can confirm specifics of the clamp, but I am 99%:)

Cheers!
Hey, thanks a lot for taking the time to take that photo - I really appreciate it! That does indeed look very similar to the QR seatpost clamp, although not exactly the same. That puts my mind at ease considerably!
Quote Reply
Re: Is my seatpost clamped correctly (first tri bike)? [hblake] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
hblake wrote:

The edge of the screw in the last picture looks messed up like the wrench slipped.

Hmm... yeah, I see that. It might have slipped a little bit. But not a problem as long as it's supposed to go in sideways (like ktm's) image, I suppose...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yeah I get it, I had this clamp as a backup from an old Specialized Transition if my failing memory serves me.

The key ingredients would be carbon assembly compound and a torque wrench.

Enjoy it.
Quote Reply