Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Spurred by Tax Reform Law? Big Corporations Making Spending Announcements
Quote | Reply
It's like a bidding war (for available labor) out there now: ;-)

1. Fifth Third BankcorpAlso Announces Additional Bonuses, Hiking the Minimum Company Wage to $15/hr Due to Tax Cut (Joining Wells Fargo in Doing So)

2. And Now Comcast Follows Suit And Announces $1000 Bonuses and $50 Billion Infrastructure Investment, Due to Tax Reform and FCC's Undoing of Net Neutrality

NB: Comcast/NBC Universal salaried employee (and economic genius) Savannah Guthrie suggested to Paul Ryan that he was living in a "fantasy world" by thinking tax cuts could spur economic activity. ;-)

3. And Now Boeing CEO Announces $300 Million in Employee-Related and Charitable Investments

(Eh, kind of tiny compared to some of the others in this bidding war, but still good stuff. ;-)

Behold all the death and destruction!! LOL!

"Politics is just show business for ugly people."
Quote Reply
Re: Spurred by Tax Reform Law? Big Corporations Making Spending Announcements [big kahuna] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Aaaah idiot Comcast employees. My favorite is Dick Engel. His election night rant is still one of the funniest things I have ever heard.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jZBO02xENks

Markets were to crash. The military were reading the constitution to see what options they had, the man is an idiot. Guthrie is an idiot. Joe and the idiot family wreaker are idiots. NBC, MSNBC, CNN... all full of morons who really do not get it.
Quote Reply
Re: Spurred by Tax Reform Law? Big Corporations Making Spending Announcements [big kahuna] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Doom I tell you!!! This is killing the country!!!

The company I work for currently employees 188,000 associates. I sent them an email with this information, worth a shot. Maybe they will step up and pass it on to our hourly associates.

I will be fired after Christmas probably.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Would this be winning?

Sure seems like unexpected bonuses for the hourly workers and corporate spending in the U.S. is a good thing.

Be really cool if they pass the conceal carry reciprocity bill.
Quote Reply
Re: Spurred by Tax Reform Law? Big Corporations Making Spending Announcements [B.McMaster] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Sure seems like unexpected bonuses for the hourly workers and corporate spending in the U.S. is a good thing.

You have to wait and see what happens on the Corporate side. The idea that companies will suddenly start hiring people maybe premature as many companies will just use the after tax cash to buy back stocks, no real benefits to workers.

As for winning, I think it might be a short-term win but the addition to the debt might offset any gains. The one thing I learned is that neither party really is concerned with debt or deficits when in power, but when they are out of power, it's the only thing that matters.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Is it a one time deal or do they plan to keep it up year over year.

Wells Fargo minimum pay to 15 is good and all but what if they keep that flat for a few years till inflation catches up? Will these 1k bonuses continue?

If they do, great, if not, it was all a PR stunt.
Quote Reply
Re: Spurred by Tax Reform Law? Big Corporations Making Spending Announcements [AndysStrongAle] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It’s going to depend on the company and how it takes for management compete on pricing.

Companies where their sales prices aren’t driven as much by other competitors will be fine keeping that. However, AT&T, grocery stores etc where either the margin is thin or there is intense competition I don’t see how they keep their prices higher with the lower costs. Someone will cave quick and drop prices to drive more clients to them.

I think you are going to see this a lot with everyone who competes with Amazon. Amazon has been killing companies in price wars and this will give them a chance to try to catch up for a little bit. Not that I think it’ll last long with amazons price technology but I think you’ll see lower prices because they need to try to drive more clients to their stores instead of amazon and this might give them a bit of a chance.

That said it’s all going to depend on which companies this actually helps vs hurts from a tax perspective. It’s just a math thing and I don’t know how many companies will be really saving a ton vs not because of how complex their taxes are.
Quote Reply
Re: Spurred by Tax Reform Law? Big Corporations Making Spending Announcements [Sanuk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Sanuk wrote:

You have to wait and see what happens on the Corporate side. The idea that companies will suddenly start hiring people maybe premature as many companies will just use the after tax cash to buy back stocks, no real benefits to workers.

As for winning, I think it might be a short-term win but the addition to the debt might offset any gains. The one thing I learned is that neither party really is concerned with debt or deficits when in power, but when they are out of power, it's the only thing that matters.

Tom Brady sucks!
Quote Reply
Re: Spurred by Tax Reform Law? Big Corporations Making Spending Announcements [jwbeuk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jwbeuk wrote:
Aaaah idiot Comcast employees. My favorite is Dick Engel. His election night rant is still one of the funniest things I have ever heard.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jZBO02xENks

Markets were to crash. The military were reading the constitution to see what options they had, the man is an idiot. Guthrie is an idiot. Joe and the idiot family wreaker are idiots. NBC, MSNBC, CNN... all full of morons who really do not get it.

That was awesome. That guy might be patient zero for TDS.
Quote Reply
Re: Spurred by Tax Reform Law? Big Corporations Making Spending Announcements [jwbeuk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply

Civilize the mind, but make savage the body.

- Chinese proverb
Quote Reply
Re: Spurred by Tax Reform Law? Big Corporations Making Spending Announcements [AndysStrongAle] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The fact of the matter is that for many of those employees it was a situation where they'd already had fairly flat wages for many years. Wage stagnation has been significant in the States for around a decade now. At least the minimum wage increases announced at Wells, etc. are going to bring the most needy people in their workforces up to a more livable wage. I'm not sure if Wells has higher market wages in places they do business where cost of living is really high already, but it goes a long way to significantly help the teller who's making $12/hour at a Wells branch in rural Indiana. As quickly as these announcements went out, I wouldn't be surprised in the White House was already working with business leadership in the country for a two pronged plan -- cut taxes permanently for corporations and later offset some of the reduced revenue by cutting entitlement spending, selling this to corporate America as now being part of their responsibility to ensure that their employees don't need entitlements. That's a cynical thought. But either way, this is a good thing for those employees who will receive a bump and a better lifestyle opportunity as a result, in addition to the perks those companies may already offer (like tuition assistance, group health care, retirement, etc.).

As for the bonuses -- why should that have to continue beyond a one time payout? I'd personally rather see companies give that one time by end of year so they realize the tax savings of that expense and then revisit their overall wages in 2018 to catch people up who are above their new minimum wage threshold but have had stagnant wages the last several years, making the gains permanent and not as volatile as a bonus plan.

As much as I dislike Trump and as much as I question these kind of tax plans when they're not accompanied with a hard look at overall spending, what these companies are choosing to do seems honorable to me. It's far too expensive to be a PR stunt.

AndysStrongAle wrote:
Is it a one time deal or do they plan to keep it up year over year.

Wells Fargo minimum pay to 15 is good and all but what if they keep that flat for a few years till inflation catches up? Will these 1k bonuses continue?

If they do, great, if not, it was all a PR stunt.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
big kahuna wrote:

1. Fifth Third BankcorpAlso Announces Additional Bonuses, Hiking the Minimum Company Wage to $15/hr Due to Tax Cut (Joining Wells Fargo in Doing So)

2. And Now Comcast Follows Suit And Announces $1000 Bonuses and $50 Billion Infrastructure Investment, Due to Tax Reform and FCC's Undoing of Net Neutrality

NB: Comcast/NBC Universal salaried employee (and economic genius) Savannah Guthrie suggested to Paul Ryan that he was living in a "fantasy world" by thinking tax cuts could spur economic activity. ;-)

3. And Now Boeing CEO Announces $300 Million in Employee-Related and Charitable Investments

(Eh, kind of tiny compared to some of the others in this bidding war, but still good stuff. ;-)

#FakeNews

#WeAreTheForge #BlackGunsMatter

"Look, will you guys at leats accept that you are a bunch of dumb asses and just trust me on this one? Please?" BarryP 7/30/2012
Quote Reply
Re: Spurred by Tax Reform Law? Big Corporations Making Spending Announcements [CruseVegas] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
CruseVegas wrote:
big kahuna wrote:

#FakeNews

Is there any other kind of news these days? ;-)

Then there's this:

US Economy Grew at Fastest Pace in Two Years in Third Quarter

3.2% and it's expected that will be going up as well. And we just had a report that the 4th quarter estimated GDP growth rate was 3.98%, which is just an atom's width away from the 4% growth that liberals said was impossible and that we'd never see again in our lifetimes. ;-)

"The U.S. economy grew at its fastest pace in more than two years in the third quarter, powered by robust business spending, and is poised for what could be a modest lift next year from sweeping tax cuts passed by Congress this week.

Gross domestic product expanded at a 3.2 percent annual rate last quarter, the Commerce Department said in its third GDP estimate on Thursday. While that was slightly down from the 3.3 percent rate reported last month, it was the quickest pace since the first quarter of 2015 and was a pickup from the second quarter's 3.1 percent rate.

It also marked the first time since 2014 that the economy experienced growth of 3 percent or more for two straight quarters."

Naturally, CNBC goes on to recite cite other measures of economic health that show the economy performing less well than the cited GDP growth rate. It's amazing that they've rediscovered certain alternative assessment techniques, to downplay the economy's health, that served them so well during the Dubya Bushitler interregnum but which mysteriously disappeared for about 8 years after Bushitler rode off into the sunset... ;-)

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
big kahuna wrote:
CruseVegas wrote:
big kahuna wrote:

#FakeNews

Then there's this:

3.2% and it's expected that will be going up as well. And we just had a report that the 4th quarter estimated GDP growth rate was 3.98%, which is just an atom's width away from the 4% growth that liberals said was impossible and that we'd never see again in our lifetimes. ;-)

"The U.S. economy grew at its fastest pace in more than two years in the third quarter, powered by robust business spending, and is poised for what could be a modest lift next year from sweeping tax cuts passed by Congress this week.

Gross domestic product expanded at a 3.2 percent annual rate last quarter, the Commerce Department said in its third GDP estimate on Thursday. While that was slightly down from the 3.3 percent rate reported last month, it was the quickest pace since the first quarter of 2015 and was a pickup from the second quarter's 3.1 percent rate.

It also marked the first time since 2014 that the economy experienced growth of 3 percent or more for two straight quarters."

Naturally, CNBC goes on to recite cite other measures of economic health that show the economy performing less well than the cited GDP growth rate. It's amazing that they've rediscovered certain alternative assessment techniques, to downplay the economy's health, that served them so well during the Dubya Bushitler interregnum but which mysteriously disappeared for about 8 years after Bushitler rode off into the sunset... ;-)

#MoreFakeNewsTheMostAwesomeestBestestFakestOfAllFakeNewsEverBelieveMe

Duffy, has an in with the prophet Richard Engel, listen to him, he knows whats happening and what's going to happen.

If you don't believe me, just wait, Kay, Sanuk and cerveloboy will explain to us how this is bad. All these employees with this new found cash will also be burdened with more taxes to pay. Thank Trump for raising their taxes!!!!!

#WeAreTheForge #BlackGunsMatter

"Look, will you guys at leats accept that you are a bunch of dumb asses and just trust me on this one? Please?" BarryP 7/30/2012
Quote Reply
Re: Spurred by Tax Reform Law? Big Corporations Making Spending Announcements [CruseVegas] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
CruseVegas wrote:
big kahuna wrote:
CruseVegas wrote:
big kahuna wrote:

#FakeNews

Then there's this:

#MoreFakeNewsTheMostAwesomeestBestestFakestOfAllFakeNewsEverBelieveMe

Duffy, has an in with the prophet Richard Engel, listen to him, he knows whats happening and what's going to happen.

If you don't believe me, just wait, Kay, Sanuk and cerveloboy will explain to us how this is bad. All these employees with this new found cash will also be burdened with more taxes to pay. Thank Trump for raising their taxes!!!!!

NPR had the balls this morning to bring on an economic expert who said that increasing wages to $15/hr at these firms would lead to inflation and decreasing lower income folks purchasing power.

Blew my mind.

They really seem to be digging deep to find something, anything that they can complain about. Talk about TDS.

Can’t remember how many times I heard that individual taxes are only reduced temporarily....for a decade.

Smdh

----------------------------------------------------------------

My training
Quote Reply
Re: Spurred by Tax Reform Law? Big Corporations Making Spending Announcements [stal] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Aren't these the same folks who are ideological fellow travelers with the "Fight for $15" crowd? And now $15 hourly is a bad thing? And raising peoples' pay and giving them Christmas bonuses is a bad thing?

Those guys need to come here to the Detroit area. If we all of-a-sudden gave our 1,500 local employees a $1,000 bonus (even a $500 or $250 one) for Christmas and raised their pay by just $.50 hourly there'd be dancing in the streets, to quote Martha Reeves. And every one of them would shout "F*CK INFLATION!" LOL!

Quote Reply