Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Would you flag a strava segment for this? [rubik] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
rubik wrote:
sch340 wrote:

*eye roll*

I come in the top 1% in almost every field I race in, whether that's road races, tris or masters swimming. So it would be a good estimate if I actually tried to race imaginary Strava segments. I am just expressing my opinion on the validity of a ranking tool. Take it as you will.

Of course you do.

I'll take it as a verbose fragile ego.

You claim my ego is fragile for discussing results I find illegitimate, by claiming my results are illegitimate? Pot, meet kettle.

Strava
Quote Reply
Re: Would you flag a strava segment for this? [sch340] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
sch340 wrote:
rubik wrote:
sch340 wrote:

*eye roll*

I come in the top 1% in almost every field I race in, whether that's road races, tris or masters swimming. So it would be a good estimate if I actually tried to race imaginary Strava segments. I am just expressing my opinion on the validity of a ranking tool. Take it as you will.

Of course you do.

I'll take it as a verbose fragile ego.

You claim my ego is fragile for discussing results I find illegitimate, by claiming my results are illegitimate? Pot, meet kettle.

No, I claim your ego is fragile because you need to claim that you have legitimate results in the first place.

Pot meet kettle is an assertion of hypocrisy. If I had previously replied with a copy of my palmares or something, then that assertion would have merit. But since I haven't said a thing about myself personally, it doesn't really make any sense whatsoever.

Kind of like your assurance that you don't have a fragile ego...
Quote Reply
Re: Would you flag a strava segment for this? [rubik] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
rubik wrote:

No, I claim your ego is fragile because you need to claim that you have legitimate results in the first place.

Pot meet kettle is an assertion of hypocrisy. If I had previously replied with a copy of my palmares or something, then that assertion would have merit. But since I haven't said a thing about myself personally, it doesn't really make any sense whatsoever.

Kind of like your assurance that you don't have a fragile ego...

My claim of your hypocrisy is based on YOUR need to delegitimize MY results, after you claim I have a fragile ego for delegitimizing the results of others. Therefore, by your logic, you must also have a fragile ego.

Your ad hominem is just validating my point. I could easily send you a link to my results whereas a Strava KOM... well, they might have just hung their arm out of the car while driving up a climb. Back to the OPs point - people are risking their lives and lives of others to climb these stupid leader boards. I guess my fragile ego will never know what that feels like.

Strava
Quote Reply
Re: Would you flag a strava segment for this? [RowToTri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I've flagged segments that run intersections and stop signs. Many cases (at least around me) the segments existed before the stop sign or light did.

I believe Strava actually wants you to do this.

The flip side is there are lots of segments that I honestly think you'd have to be unsafe to get. Like flying down a hill with traffic, driveways, or blind turns. Though I let those be because maybe others are more comfortable in those situations or ride at different times.

Bottom line, at least for, if you have to break the law to get the segment - I flag it.
Quote Reply
Re: Would you flag a strava segment for this? [ntc] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ntc wrote:
To make sure everyone is safe, Strava should have a speed limit database that autoflags rides if exceeded. It could then auto route this info to police stations so tickets can be handed out accordingly.

i'm still waiting for them to automatically flag any runner whose pace - over any distance - is faster than Bolt's pace on the 100/200 meters. seems like it'd be easy to do, but they don't.
Quote Reply
Re: Would you flag a strava segment for this? [cartsman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
cartsman wrote:
Personally I don't think there should even be Strava segments for descents, and any competition around descending in my club is strongly discouraged. I love a good fast descent when conditions allow, but safety should always come first and I simply don't think it's a good idea to encourage anybody to take risks beyond their ability to try and get a better segment placing.

Since they do exist, I really wouldn't bother flagging segments for dangerous riding. Doesn't achieve anything. If you always respect the Stop sign then you're clearly not bothered enough about the segment to care about your own placing (which is absolutely the right attitude!) so why worry about who's above you? There will always be some idiot who's going to go too fast, but they're not going to stop because you got their segment flagged, in fact if anything they're likely to go back and have another go to reclaim their KOM. If I see people riding dangerously in person, particularly if their riding is putting others in danger, I generally try to have a word though it's difficult doing so in a way which is actually going to make them think about their riding and not just piss them off. But policing Strava for dangerous riding? Too many to bother about, let it go.

well put. cyclists have been descending like suicidal adrenaline junkies since long before strava existed. and i'm sure that many people's descents, *relative to their capabilities,* are just as dangerous in the middle of the strava pack as up at the KOM level.
Quote Reply
Re: Would you flag a strava segment for this? [Bob Loblaw] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Bob Loblaw wrote:
i'm still waiting for them to automatically flag any runner whose pace - over any distance - is faster than Bolt's pace on the 100/200 meters. seems like it'd be easy to do, but they don't.

I think you'd need a distance minimum because GPS errors can cause jump in pace, etc.
Quote Reply
Re: Would you flag a strava segment for this? [RowToTri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Can you post the segment or road? Is it Old Stage?
Last edited by: damn lucky: Dec 23, 17 8:51
Quote Reply

Prev Next