So a click bait title? Got it
Quote Reply
Re: Time for some controversy - the Catholic Church [orphious] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
orphious wrote:
windywave wrote:
BLeP wrote:
windywave wrote:
What is the controversy? He's getting buried as a Cardinal because he's a Cardinal?

I believe it's, "Why is he still a Cardinal?"

Better response than JD's... I'll have to research but IIRC you can't be unmade a Cardinal except by excommunication

I don't understand why any priest isn't excommunicated when it is proven. I'm not sure but even after all the reports, they just aren't allowed to serve in a parish. I think they are given behind the scenes admin roles in the diocese.

Probably because it is not an offense that rises to that. I'd execute them, but the Church is against capital punishment
Quote Reply
Re: Time for some controversy - the Catholic Church [BLeP] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
BLeP wrote:
windywave wrote:
BLeP wrote:
windywave wrote:
What is the controversy? He's getting buried as a Cardinal because he's a Cardinal?

Better response than JD's... I'll have to research but IIRC you can't be unmade a Cardinal except by excommunication

Which begs... what does it take to be excommunicated? Apparently aiding and abetting child molesters is not enough.

Apostasy, Heresy, unauthorized mass, and probably some other things.
Quote Reply
Re: Time for some controversy - the Catholic Church [Kay Serrar] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Kay Serrar wrote:
windywave wrote:
Duffy wrote:
windywave wrote:

Yeah man, what’s the big deal? He covered up and actually helped child rapists to not only get away with child rape but were provided, with direct help from Law, whole new sets of unsuspecting kids to rape.

For decades.

But hey, a cardinal is a cardinal so he should definitely be honored in death as the great and passionate man he was.

Agree with your sentiment except the last couple of words

You are aware the last sentence Duffy wrote was sarcasm, right?

Are you trying to be obtuse?

I know it was sarcastic, but to me the funeral rites can't and don't convey how great 9r passionate he was.
Quote Reply
Re: Time for some controversy - the Catholic Church [orphious] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
orphious wrote:
windywave wrote:
BLeP wrote:
windywave wrote:

I don't understand why any priest isn't excommunicated when it is proven. I'm not sure but even after all the reports, they just aren't allowed to serve in a parish. I think they are given behind the scenes admin roles in the diocese.

Excommunication isn't the punishment some people think it is. Lots of people seem to think that if you're excommunicated, you've been tossed from the Church, never to return. If you're excommunicated, you can't receive eucharist or participate in sacraments, but you still should attend mass, and once it's deemed that you have repented and fulfilled whatever act of faith, etc, you can and should be restored to the Church.

Some offenses are supposed to invoke automatic excommunication. Some of them are things like apostasy, using the consecrated eucharist for sacrilegious purposes, physically assaulting the Pope, violating the seal of confession, and some others.

You could also be communicated after some sort of a hearing or trial for offenses that don't specifically fall under the list of automatics.

Slowguy

(insert pithy phrase here...)
Quote Reply
Re: Time for some controversy - the Catholic Church [JD21] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
JD21 wrote:
The Catholic Priest who aided and abetted child sexual molesters will receive a full Vatican burial. I must admit, I've never understood how nice religious folk continue to attend and fund the Catholic Church. People will protest and stop buying bread from a bakery where the owner is accused of child sex abuse, but their church? Not so much.

My wife is Catholic - hasn't been to church in 25 yrs and somehow believes she was born Catholic...never understood she has a choice. If challenged, she just says the Catholic Church does some good things and she doesn't give them money. You know, in Colombia, Pablo Escobar did some amazing things for citizens. Doesn't sit well with me.

As for Bernard Law, may his soul rot in hell for all eternity.

http://abcnews.go.com/...share_addthis_widget

Devout Catholics are sheep. The Catholic church is based on guilt, fear and superstition Its been a regressive institution throughout history. My background was Catholic light, my parents walked on the church but were brought up in devout Catholic homes. I'd classify myself as an atheist now.
Quote Reply
Re: Time for some controversy - the Catholic Church [windywave] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
//So a click bait title? Got it //

Clickbait title? Really?

I don't know if this topic is particularly sensitive for you or you're just being an ass for the sake of it but it's neither necessary nor constructive. Plenty of other threads in which to focus your boredom.
Quote Reply
Re: Time for some controversy - the Catholic Church [JD21] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
JD21 wrote:
//So a click bait title? Got it //

Clickbait title? Really?

I don't know if this topic is particularly sensitive for you or you're just being an ass for the sake of it but it's neither necessary nor constructive. Plenty of other threads in which to focus your boredom.

You admitted there is little controversy basically confirming my initial post. How is that being an ass?
Quote Reply
Re: Time for some controversy - the Catholic Church [cerveloguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
cerveloguy wrote:
JD21 wrote:
The Catholic Priest who aided and abetted child sexual molesters will receive a full Vatican burial. I must admit, I've never understood how nice religious folk continue to attend and fund the Catholic Church. People will protest and stop buying bread from a bakery where the owner is accused of child sex abuse, but their church? Not so much.

My wife is Catholic - hasn't been to church in 25 yrs and somehow believes she was born Catholic...never understood she has a choice. If challenged, she just says the Catholic Church does some good things and she doesn't give them money. You know, in Colombia, Pablo Escobar did some amazing things for citizens. Doesn't sit well with me.

As for Bernard Law, may his soul rot in hell for all eternity.

http://abcnews.go.com/...share_addthis_widget

Devout Catholics are sheep. The Catholic church is based on guilt, fear and superstition Its been a regressive institution throughout history. My background was Catholic light, my parents walked on the church but were brought up in devout Catholic homes. I'd classify myself as an atheist now.

Religion is the opiate of the masses, eh?
Quote Reply
Re: Time for some controversy - the Catholic Church [cerveloguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
cerveloguy wrote:

Devout <insert ANY religion> are sheep.

Fixed it for you.
Quote Reply

Prev Next