Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: What is the deal with hospital bills? [Moonrocket] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I wish Congress and special investigaters would spend more time on the collusion that is actually bankrupting people.
But those bastards are all in on it.
I have no idea why the media never covers this scam!

In-dept explanation of actual drugs and medical bills cost compared to hospital and insurance collusion cost:

Quote Reply
Re: What is the deal with hospital bills? [len] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
len wrote:
Well not free you pay for it via your taxes. :)

While that is true, I think we get way more bang for your buck when it comes to healthcare. Not to mention not dealing with the stress of a huge bill after a medical emergency.

Long Chile was a silly place.
Quote Reply
Re: What is the deal with hospital bills? [SkipG] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
SkipG wrote:
No clue, costs are ridiculous.

Just recently received my bill from a surgery $31,000

It was broken down really well...not!!!

Supplies....$16,000, what the fuck does that even mean?

I haven't called yet but really want to get the breakdown of cost for these supplies.

Next time show up with your own bandaids gauze and qtips. Telll ‘em you will gladly pay corkage - see what they say.
Quote Reply
Re: What is the deal with hospital bills? [MLCRISES] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Exactly, run a hospital as a business. Take away the non-profit status, end the game.

MLCRISES wrote:
Grant.Reuter wrote:
The 24k is the non-negotiated rate. Based on what they billed the insurance carrier is only going to pay the negotiated, and my guess is review the statement for duplicate billing etc. so that 24k may really not be the actual bill but what was just submitted as a claim.

Yes if you don’t have insurance it would be crazy. But they are paying for all of the tech that is sitting there that needs to be available at any one time. Even if only 10 people use it a year.

A new MRI or CT machine can be over 1-2 million dollars just for the machine. In a normal out patient setting that may get used 100s of times a week. In a hospital setting it will most likely be less but they need it there in case they need it so that cost is allocated over less people. Same thing with drugs, that may expire and never get used. They also have to price in the cost for all the people who don’t pay so you get crazy stupid numbers.

There is definitely a lot of waste and crap that goes on. But running an ER end of day is just expensive.

If I purchase a piece of equipment or inventory and I don't use it well, I've made a bad business decision. I can't make my customers pay for it. Only in the hospital business do we hear about cost. We don't hear about costs in automotive industries, or software businesses. We seem to give a pass to hospital administrators. They are humble servants who are burdened by expenses. It's also odd how in every other business technology seems to help the business be more efficient and those efficiency's help to drive cost down, thus driving the price down. In healthcare, new technology drives cost up. WTF?

In my area I don't see a single healthcare provider advertising on price. I don't see a single provider advertising "we don't kill our patients". Instead I see them marketing birthing centers that rival a Ritz Carlton - this doesn't drive down cost - it drives it up.

We are not customers. We are a means to an end. Insurance companies are a surrogate customer. If a provider bills for something at $2,000 when it should be $200, and the insurance company can claim they "negotiated" the final price to be $1,000 - then the insurance company gets to tell you what a great job they did for you. Bullshit.

At the same time, the insurance company can raise rates next year, and we think, "well, it did cost $2000 for them to pull a thorn out of my finger - I guess that's how it has to be." Bullshit!

If we as consumers negotiated our care directly with the providers, the prices would be lower. If there was true competition, the prices would be lower. There is no real competition in the healthcare business.
Quote Reply
Re: What is the deal with hospital bills? [Kay Serrar] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Kay Serrar wrote:
MLCRISES wrote:
Grant.Reuter wrote:
The 24k is the non-negotiated rate. Based on what they billed the insurance carrier is only going to pay the negotiated, and my guess is review the statement for duplicate billing etc. so that 24k may really not be the actual bill but what was just submitted as a claim.

Yes if you don’t have insurance it would be crazy. But they are paying for all of the tech that is sitting there that needs to be available at any one time. Even if only 10 people use it a year.

A new MRI or CT machine can be over 1-2 million dollars just for the machine. In a normal out patient setting that may get used 100s of times a week. In a hospital setting it will most likely be less but they need it there in case they need it so that cost is allocated over less people. Same thing with drugs, that may expire and never get used. They also have to price in the cost for all the people who don’t pay so you get crazy stupid numbers.

There is definitely a lot of waste and crap that goes on. But running an ER end of day is just expensive.

If I purchase a piece of equipment or inventory and I don't use it well, I've made a bad business decision. I can't make my customers pay for it. Only in the hospital business do we hear about cost. We don't hear about costs in automotive industries, or software businesses. We seem to give a pass to hospital administrators. They are humble servants who are burdened by expenses. It's also odd how in every other business technology seems to help the business be more efficient and those efficiency's help to drive cost down, thus driving the price down. In healthcare, new technology drives cost up. WTF?

In my area I don't see a single healthcare provider advertising on price. I don't see a single provider advertising "we don't kill our patients". Instead I see them marketing birthing centers that rival a Ritz Carlton - this doesn't drive down cost - it drives it up.

We are not customers. We are a means to an end. Insurance companies are a surrogate customer. If a provider bills for something at $2,000 when it should be $200, and the insurance company can claim they "negotiated" the final price to be $1,000 - then the insurance company gets to tell you what a great job they did for you. Bullshit.

At the same time, the insurance company can raise rates next year, and we think, "well, it did cost $2000 for them to pull a thorn out of my finger - I guess that's how it has to be." Bullshit!

If we as consumers negotiated our care directly with the providers, the prices would be lower. If there was true competition, the prices would be lower. There is no real competition in the healthcare business.

Your last paragraph hits the nail on the head. It's a giant oligopoly for an essential (at times) service. That, and large malpractice insurance payouts incentivize doctors to prescribe every test they can think of. It earns the hospital money and covers their ass.

If we want the system to change, we need government intervention. Pure and simple. But the healthcare industry has our politicians in their pockets. If the government actually got involved in the healthcare business - buying hospitals and clinics - then there would be some competition for the private sector. I'd rather see some sensible regulation before we start nationalizing the healthcare industry, but tbh things are getting so out of control I'd take anything.

I pay $250 per month for my company-subsidized healthcare, and have a $7k deductible. That's not health insurance, it's disaster insurance.

Uh government is super involved. MTALA drives up prices. Do you have any concept of the regulatory burden on healthcare? MedMal reform is killed thanks to the trial bar. Do you know what is involved in opening a hospital? If you want competition you need to remove government if for no other reason than buying off politicians wouldn't work.
Quote Reply
Re: What is the deal with hospital bills? [feman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
feman wrote:
In UK it is "Free" but apart from taxes one pays for National Insurance - at one stage I was taking home 48% of my gross wages due to taxes and National Insurance. Ta da!!!.

And the whole A&E crisis
Quote Reply
Re: What is the deal with hospital bills? [jwbeuk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Our plan (MA) has a "high cost" surcharge for many of the high priced hospitals when having routine MRI's, xrays, blood work, these hospitals tend to be the bigger name teaching hospitals.

When shopping for insurance, do your research besides price on what doctors are covered. My neuro surgeon won't take Aetna, I was there when possible customer called and receptionist said no - go elsewhere. Big loss for that patient, as my surgeon is a "god" with with his brain and hands.
Quote Reply
Re: What is the deal with hospital bills? [wimsey] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
wimsey wrote:
WelshinPhilly wrote:
len wrote:
How do you negotiate price while you are having a heart attack?

A few years ago, my daughter was rushed to the ER then admitted to hospital for a couple of nights. Putting aside the $1k ambulance ride for the <1 mile from our house to the hospital, after she was admitted a handful of doctors came to see her throughout the course of the first night. We got dinged for higher rates for about half of them, because they were "out of network". Like I was going to verify that they were in-network before allowing them to see my daughter. Ridiculous.

That's one of the scenarios I worry about. Even if you have the presence of mind to insist that you be taken to a facility that is covered by your insurance (that's assuming you are conscious and able to communicate that desire, and they comply with your request), you never know if someone is moonlighting from out of network and you get taken to the cleaners anyway. It's lunacy.

Yeah, this is a sad situation. The patient and/or family should not be left with the difference in the bill simply because there happened to be an out of network doctor who provided care for you during your urgent situation.

In a few states, there is a debate on whether the insurance company should pay the out of network doc the doc's rate (or the in network amount instead) or the out of network doc just suck it up and take whatever is offered by the insurance company (in network or not) or leave it to the patient to be responsible for the difference. The last choice is the least appealing because those are the voters. The insurance company has the biggest lobby so they most likely will not take the hit. The docs, if they are forced to take whatever the insurance company pays, lose their negotiating power when it comes to contract talks with the insurance company......and trust me, the insurance company wants this because it's a roundabout way to force all doc's in to the network. For the patient, that could be very bad because the docs may then decide to no longer take call or cover that hospital. The patients then lose all access to that particular specialty.

Yes, it's a screwed up system
Quote Reply
Re: What is the deal with hospital bills? [Grant.Reuter] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Grant.Reuter wrote:
A new MRI or CT machine can be over 1-2 million dollars just for the machine. In a normal out patient setting that may get used 100s of times a week. In a hospital setting it will most likely be less but they need it there in case they need it so that cost is allocated over less people.

The last outpatient MRI I had cost about $2500 out-of-pocket expense and didn't include radiologist charges. Let's say you're correct and the machine is used only 100 times a week and cost $2M to put in place. Even if the average MRI charge was HALF of what I just paid (or 50% went to operating costs) that machine is turning a profit in a matter of months.

The last CT scan I had in the ER was way more expensive than the outpatient MRI. I'd wager even the allocated ER machines are turning a profit fairly quickly after they come online.

I don't doubt that running a well-equipped ER expensive, but it's no loss leader for the hospital - also evidenced by the high number of stand-alone, out parcel ERs that are popping up around here.
Quote Reply
Re: What is the deal with hospital bills? [getcereal] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
getcereal wrote:
I wish Congress and special investigaters would spend more time on the collusion that is actually bankrupting people.
But those bastards are all in on it.
I have no idea why the media never covers this scam!

In-dept explanation of actual drugs and medical bills cost compared to hospital and insurance collusion cost:

Wow! That was an eye opener! My wife takes a generic blood pressure medication. Apparently the cost is less than $0.04/pill making the wholesale cost of a 30-day supply $1.20. Every month we happily pay her $15.00 co-pay because the insurance is "reducing the cost." I just called Walmart. We can get a year supply of her med for a cash price of $29.20.

Just that fast we saved $150.00!

Yeah, the system's screwed up!

"Obsessed is just a word the lazy use to describe the dedicated.

http://bscmultisport.com
Last edited by: k9car363: Dec 21, 17 12:14
Quote Reply

Prev Next