Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

What can you tell me about Johnson City, TN?
Quote | Reply
Possible work move, and I'm looking for insight other than what I've found on the Googles. How's the run/ride scene there? Any other tid bits you can offer would be helpful!
Quote Reply
Re: What can you tell me about Johnson City, TN? [bltri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
There are trails right in town, on the ETSU campus are the mtb trails. Buffalo mountain nearby has a slew of other trails as well. For road riding it is really easy to get out of town and onto nice backroads with little traffic on them. The downtown scene has improved a lot apparently since I moved (yeehaw brewery is there). Good proximity to plenty of other good stuff as well depending on what other activities youre into.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Some other things to google:
>Soon to open MTB Park - Tanery Knob
>Great place to run/swim/mtb - Warriors Path State Park
>More running/mtb - Bays Mountain Park
>Run/ bike - Tweetsie Trail
>Cherokee National Forest has 100s of miles of out and back gravel rides.
>Road rides in Sullivan, Washington, Carter, Unicoi, and Greene Counties are rolling hills with the opportunity to climb into Cherokee National Forest
>Living in or near J.C. = living in the Tri Cites which includes Kingsport and Bristol.
>Asheville NC is about 1 hr drive which = more running/biking/outstanding MTB rides and all the craft brew you’ll ever need.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I went to school, there (ETSU)....but can't help you on SBR options (I left in 1983). We do go back to visit. It's a great town.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks everyone for the ideas!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I grew up around there and visit frequently. Plenty of running options in the tri-cities (Warriors Path, Kingsport Greenway Trail, ETSU). Bays mountain offer some close sustained climbing on the bike. Milligan College has a stron club cycling team, too. Good roads up that way (probably about 15 minutes from ETSU). As others have said, Asheville is close. There are rural, less traveled roads just across the VA border (Gate City area where I'm from) that are great for cycling. Bring your climbing cassette regardless of where you choose.

For swimming, there is a newer aquatic center between JC and Kingsport on 26. Very nice setup although gym part wasn't well planned. It's near Meadowview Marriott.

Human Person
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If you're into fly fishing, there's some great streams nearby... Wautaga, South Holston, and various ones in the Great Smoky Mountains National Park.

The Haunted Half Marathon in Kingsport looks like a fun race. We watched the finishers come in when we were up there for my niece's wedding.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It's one of the Tri-Cities.
Name the other two to win a fatback sandwich and a pouch of Skoal!
Quote Reply
Re: What can you tell me about Johnson City, TN? [spookini] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Bristol & Kingsport. I win!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I know that Darius Rucker ripped of a much better version of wagon wheel by Old Crow that makes me want to rip the head of the closest fat redneck bitch I see every time I head it. It mentions Johnson City.

Also, I saw drove from Boone to Johnson City to see Pan's Labyrinth. Thats all I know though.

Use this link to save $5 off your USAT membership renewal:
https://membership.usatriathlon.org/...A2-BAD7-6137B629D9B7
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Big omnium is held in June. One of the biggest TN bike race weekends. Road race starts in Elizabethton and finishes on the Cat 1 Roan Mtn. The crit is in Johnson City.

Some big guns usually come out.
Quote Reply