Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Beauty Contestant Felt Objectified - what?!
Quote | Reply
This woman won Miss North Carolina and then competed in the Miss America pageant. She met Trump twice and says, "I now know what it feels like to be looked at like a piece of meat."

https://www.nbcnews.com/...s-be-eyed-ncna830951

What?

Have I completely misunderstood what beauty contests are all about? I thought objectification was the whole point. "Let's prance around on stage in hair and makeup that's so done that I don't look my natural self at all. Oh, and while we're here, check out my body in a bikini."

War is god
Quote Reply
Re: Beauty Contestant Felt Objectified - what?! [Crank] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Well, she WAS going to cure world hunger, until Trump objectified her. Thanks Trump, I guess kids now have to continue to starve in Africa.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Somebody please tell me the strippers won't be off-limits next...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
He looked at her.

Impeach!

Civilize the mind, but make savage the body.

- Chinese proverb
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Have I completely misunderstood what beauty contests are all about?
---

Back in the mid-90's, I was a teen who had the job of bussing tables at a swanky, up-scale restaurant (at least, one that poses as up-scale in Indiana). One day, the Miss Indiana Pageant came to town and the mayor simply had to take the ladies out for lunch. Yes, they came to my joint and the manager thought it a swell idea to schedule me for their meal. I performed as well as a 100 lb, red-headed step-child nerd with absolutely no game could be expected. During one unfortunate scene that is forever burned in my cranium, I muttered the words "beauty pageant". The entire room, as if in practiced unison, angrily bellowed, "It's not a BEAUTY PAGENT. IT'S A SCHOLARSHIP COMPETITION!!!" My 0.01% chance of impressing Miss Banks of the Wabash or Miss Koscuisko were completely dashed.

See, it's all about the money. Not something shallow like beauty.

Take a short break from ST and read my blog:
http://tri-banter.blogspot.com/
Quote Reply
Re: Beauty Contestant Felt Objectified - what?! [Tri-Banter] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
This shit is getting old.
Quote Reply
Re: Beauty Contestant Felt Objectified - what?! [Tri-Banter] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I was actually engaged to a former Miss California and runner-up Miss America. I met her years after she was 'crowned' but she made a fortune consulting for up and coming beauty pageant contestants - like $600/hr helping them with their walk, etc. It's big business. She did actually earn a college degree on the scholarship and defended the whole industry as some bastion of moral good. It's a shady world with a lot of dirtbags on the fringes. By the way, it was not at all uncommon for men to be in the backstage changing areas so I chuckle when Rrump is accused of being there.

And, don't judge, she was very beautiful and I was young and stupid.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Or maybe it speaks to how extra fucking creepy he was if he stood out that much.

I'm beginning to think that we are much more fucked than I thought.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Did Trump ogle anything like George Jetson did at Miss Milky Way?
Quote Reply
Re: Beauty Contestant Felt Objectified - what?! [j p o] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
j p o wrote:
Or maybe it speaks to how extra fucking creepy he was if he stood out that much.

Exactly. He and his wife Melania both walked into the room where Miss North Carolina's HAIR WAS BEING DONE.

IMPEACH HIM. HER HAIR WAS BEING DONE AND HE AND HIS WIFE WALKED IN.

CAN WE IMPEACH MELANIA?????

Get ready for the job Mike Pence.

Seriously, do liberals expect anything to stick when this kind of stuff is published? My recollection of the original NYT expose during the campaign was that it was this sort of stuff.

NBC, here is a tip for you: when the story is turned down by the National Enquirer as too boring, do not pick it up. This belongs on her personal blog with 23 views.

________
It doesn't really matter what Phil is saying, the music of his voice is the appropriate soundtrack for a bicycle race. HTupolev
Quote Reply
Re: Beauty Contestant Felt Objectified - what?! [j p o] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Oh, and yes this appears on a website entitled "nbcnews." This is why it is so easy for folks to say: fake news.

________
It doesn't really matter what Phil is saying, the music of his voice is the appropriate soundtrack for a bicycle race. HTupolev
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Crank wrote:
This woman won Miss North Carolina and then competed in the Miss America pageant. She met Trump twice and says, "I now know what it feels like to be looked at like a piece of meat."

https://www.nbcnews.com/...s-be-eyed-ncna830951

What?

Have I completely misunderstood what beauty contests are all about? I thought objectification was the whole point. "Let's prance around on stage in hair and makeup that's so done that I don't look my natural self at all. Oh, and while we're here, check out my body in a bikini."

Yes. Objectification is the point of being a beauty pageant contestant. This is an incontrovertible truth about such events. For this dimbulb to say "Wait a minute"... just proves her lack of intellectual honesty.

Also, from what I understand, these pageants are some of the most low-down, cutthroat, dirty-tricks-laden contests individuals competing in them will ever see. These women do things to each other, in order to win, that border on criminal behavior, from what some past participants in the top-level state and national pageants have said.

"Politics is just show business for ugly people."
Quote Reply