Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: How awkward would Xterra be for me? [Poon] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I was in a similar position as you when I did my one and only XTerra event. It was many years ago but here is my race report from the event: http://forum.slowtwitch.com/...ace%20report#p474148
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I just wanted to add that in 32 years of racing triathlons, XTerra races have been some of my favorites. I'm biased because I've been Mtn biking since 1992 but the bike courses are my favorite part.

Maybe my all time favorite race has been XTerra Fruita. It's raced at Highline State Park in CO. They book up the campground festival style so everyone there is either racing or spectating.

My buddy and I drove out Friday morning from Denver, prerode the bike and run courses that afternoon, set up camp, raced Saturday morning, rode the 18 Road Trails Saturday afternoon then stayed Saturday night and rode the Mary's Loop/Horse Thief Bench network Sunday morning before driving home.

Getting 3rd in my AG was cool too.

Formerly DrD
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Somehow I missed this thread when it was more active but thought I'd add my $0.02 even though it is a bit belated because I think it could still be helpful to you or others who are considering giving Xterra a go.

As Xterrabob (and others) have said, Xt Jersey Devil is about as good of a first timer Xterra course as there is.
What the bike lacks in technicality Bob tries his best to make up for on the run course.
If you have the opportunity to preview the bike and run courses (the courses are marked the day before) it will help with any nerves you might have about the course on race day.

No worries about being FOP out of the water and holding up others on the bike.
Xt JD is mostly sandy/gravel double track (plenty of passing chances) with a few short sections of sandy single track.
For the most part, riders coming up from behind will be courteous and will announce their intentions to pass.
No one will expect you to stop to get out of their way. They're just looking to get by and get on with their race.
The Xt Tribe is a much more easy going group than road tri'ers.

You asked about comparing the Xt JD and Xt Way Over Yonder bike courses.
I've done both races (2017 was the first year for Xt WOY) and I can tell you that they are two entirely different animals.
Where Xt JD is mostly sand and gravel, Xt WOY is a whole lotta rocks and roots.
I think that Dave (Xt WOY race director) takes great pleasure in calling WOY the east coast "technical" Xterra.
My guess would be that you'd enjoy Xt JD more but by doing both races you'd see how much different courses can be.
You'll also see how Xterra racing is as much about you against the course as it is about you against other racers.
Xt Sky High is another one to consider as its bike course could be considered an average between those of Xt JD and Xt WOY.
Quote Reply
Re: How awkward would Xterra be for me? [fitforlife13] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
After posting this thread and getting The first few encouraging responses, I signed up for both NJ races. JD sounds like a great initiation into Xterra. I sorta regret signing up for WOY, because I have not had the opportunity to do much technical MTBing.

With respect to WOY, I’m curious how much is technical vs relatively easy.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You shouldn't have any regrets about signing up for WOY.
Dave and his crew (which I think was mostly his family) did a fantastic job of putting on the race last year and I have no doubt that they'll do it again.
The bike course is a mix of double and single track and as is typical of east coast mtb there are some short, steep ups and downs.
The parts that make WOY unique (and the parts that had most people talking post race) were the sections of rocks/roots.
For some it was all rideable, for others probably not so much.

But if you come to a section that is beyond your current skill level it is ok to hike-a-bike to get through it.
This is where pre-riding a course can be a huge advantage for those who can do it.
Knowing that you want to dismount before getting to certain obstacles can be faster and less risky than trying to ride something that you aren't prepared for.
And it can be better for your nerves because you will know ahead of time that you're going to walk so you can stop worrying about how you're going to ride a particular section.

I do see that Dave has added a Sprint option for 2018.
I don't know if the shorter course cuts out any of the toughest sections of roots/rocks but I'm sure he'd be able to tell you.
Super easy guy to chat with and he really does care about those who come to race with him.
Quote Reply
Re: How awkward would Xterra be for me? [fitforlife13] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hello from XTERRA Way Over Yonder

First Off - congrats on signing up for both New Jersey XTERRA races!

XTERRA Jersey Devil is a great early season race and of course features that oh so special trail run amongst the swamp land.

As others have mentioned in this thread, XTERRA Way Over Yonder has it's share of technical, which is probably why it's been labeled as "the Beast of the East.".
There will be a pre-ride of the course in April posted on https://www.facebook.com/rsgadventures/ and highly recommend that any first timers come to get familiar with the Mountain Bike route. In true XC MTB fashion it's all good to run a section with the bike if you not comfortable riding through it. Sure you will an amazing time at both events and look forward to seeing you in May.

- XTERRA Dave :)
Quote Reply
Re: How awkward would Xterra be for me? [XTERRADave] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
A quick postscript on my foray into Xterra racing. I did the two NJ races over the last few weeks (Jersey Devil and WOY).

Me: strong swimmer and runner, pretty good cyclist; newby MTBer.

JD was a great initiation into Xterra. Mostly nontechnical bike, which was still tough for me, but not overly stressful. I was very impressed by the FOP crowd, all of which blew me away on the bike.

WOY was three or four notches more difficult. Just relentless on the bike. It felt like about 13 of the 15 miles was technical. Very few breaks. Very stressful and humbling. I was super concerned about ruining my road tri season with a crash.

Oddly, I did more damage to myself on the run than the bike. It may have been the cumulative beating.

Again, I was amazed at WOY at how amazing some MTBers are. The skill level is just staggering.

Will I do another Xterra? Probably would like to do JD again. I wouldn’t do WOY again unless I had a lot more time to practice on the MTB. It’s an event for people with serious bike handling.

Very cool scene at both races. Informal, grass roots feel. RDs are guys that do it out of love. Bottom line: a cool way to use some of the tri fitness and get out of the comfort zone.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Poon wrote:
A quick postscript on my foray into Xterra racing. I did the two NJ races over the last few weeks (Jersey Devil and WOY).

Me: strong swimmer and runner, pretty good cyclist; newby MTBer.

JD was a great initiation into Xterra. Mostly nontechnical bike, which was still tough for me, but not overly stressful. I was very impressed by the FOP crowd, all of which blew me away on the bike.

WOY was three or four notches more difficult. Just relentless on the bike. It felt like about 13 of the 15 miles was technical. Very few breaks. Very stressful and humbling. I was super concerned about ruining my road tri season with a crash.

Oddly, I did more damage to myself on the run than the bike. It may have been the cumulative beating.

Again, I was amazed at WOY at how amazing some MTBers are. The skill level is just staggering.

Will I do another Xterra? Probably would like to do JD again. I wouldn’t do WOY again unless I had a lot more time to practice on the MTB. It’s an event for people with serious bike handling.

Very cool scene at both races. Informal, grass roots feel. RDs are guys that do it out of love. Bottom line: a cool way to use some of the tri fitness and get out of the comfort zone.

Thanks for the report. Done a few MTB XC races now here in NH, and I am scratching my head not wondering why it seems some Xterra races have way more technical courses than XC MTB races. To me I wonder if the RDs are trying to build the sport. I am not trying to wussify the courses, but you would think a balanced XC course with some a 30/70 mix of technical vs not so technical riding would be a better mix. Probably pretty hard to satisfy everyone.
Quote Reply

Prev Next