Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Crank length for new rider... [SBRcanuck] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
For supposedly being in wind tunnel John Cobb & Lance Armstrong can someone explain why Lance is so upright when Cobb preaches getting lower??
Quote Reply
Re: Crank length for new rider... [ErickBar] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ErickBar wrote:
For supposedly being in wind tunnel John Cobb & Lance Armstrong can someone explain why Lance is so upright when Cobb preaches getting lower??

From an old interview (2008):
Armstrong is well aware that there is a tradeoff between a comfortable position and optimal aerodynamics. "I have this hump in my back and I can't rotate my pelvis to straighten it out," he said. "I will go longer, narrower and more behind the hands if I can.
Last edited by: SBRcanuck: Dec 19, 17 17:40
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
My issues with aggressiveness have been purely around my hip flexor issues. My last IM on 165 I had hip flexor issues locking up just over mid way through the IM and since going to 160 I haven't had the same problems. Also at longer lengths I've had to compromise I feel my knees banging my rib cage or at least too close for comfort. It's more comfortable position for what I deem a reasonable position in regards to how low I am in the front end.
Last edited by: Shambolic: Dec 20, 17 4:04
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
SBRcanuck wrote:
ErickBar wrote:

From an old interview (2008):
Armstrong is well aware that there is a tradeoff between a comfortable position and optimal aerodynamics. "I have this hump in my back and I can't rotate my pelvis to straighten it out," he said. "I will go longer, narrower and more behind the hands if I can.

Seems he figured it out. Anecdotally, Lance was unwilling to give up even 1 watt of power for even a brief period of adaptation.... until his ability to dope was compromised and he realized he needed to do something else to go faster. That "hump in the back / can't rotate" was bullshit. He was probably TT'ing in the upper 400s to 500 watts in his doping prime, power that makes up for a lot of aero sins.

Quote Reply

Prev Next