Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Looks Like the Mid-Engine Corvette is Real
Quote | Reply
After much speculation, quite a number of spy photos, and the recent leaked CAD drawings...

A GM lawyer has essentially confirmed the new Corvette, by sending cease and desist letters claiming the CAD drawings as their property.

https://jalopnik.com/gms-lawyers-just-inadvertently-confirmed-those-mid-engi-1821340731

Quote Reply
Re: Looks Like the Mid-Engine Corvette is Real [efernand] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
This has been coming for years. I'm sure it will be an amazing piece of automotive technology and a great value compared to the price tag on other mid engined exotics. I'd imagine a lot of traditionalist Vette fans will be ticked off however. Wonder if they'll keep the front engined car in production at the same time?

https://jalopnik.com/...-mid-engi-1821340731
Quote Reply
Re: Looks Like the Mid-Engine Corvette is Real [cerveloguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
cerveloguy wrote:
This has been coming for years. I'm sure it will be an amazing piece of automotive technology and a great value compared to the price tag on other mid engined exotics. I'd imagine a lot of traditionalist Vette fans will be ticked off however. Wonder if they'll keep the front engined car in production at the same time?

The Zora? They've been pushing the concept with more intensity since around 2014.

"Politics is just show business for ugly people."
Quote Reply
Re: Looks Like the Mid-Engine Corvette is Real [big kahuna] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
big kahuna wrote:
cerveloguy wrote:

The Zora? They've been pushing the concept with more intensity since around 2014.

GM has been building mid engine prototypes since 1960 but they've all been dead in the water before going into production. There was talk in the 80's about dropping the V6 turbo from the Buick Grand National into the Pontiac Fiero. What an amazing mid engine car that would have been, but the project was shelved when the Chevrolet division started complaining that it would cut into Corvette sales. Typical GM.

https://macsmotorcitygarage.com/...pes-a-brief-history/
Last edited by: cerveloguy: Dec 18, 17 15:39
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
cerveloguy wrote:
big kahuna wrote:
cerveloguy wrote:

GM has been building mid engine prototypes since 1960 but they've all been dead in the water before going into production. There was talk about dropping the V6 turbo from the Buick Grand National into the Pontiac Fiero. What an amazing mid engine car that would have been, but the project was shelved when the Chevrolet division started complaining that it would cut into Corvette sales. Typical GM.

"Typical GM" is right. I recall Buick catching a lot of flack in the mid-1980s with the Grand National and that turbo V6 and how the Chevy folks demanded that it couldn't be quicker than the Corvette.

Well, let's see if the Zora's team can overcome all the institutional biases and interest groups at GM that are guarding their silos. I'd love to see a mid-engine 'Vette join the stable for sure. :-)

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
big kahuna wrote:
cerveloguy wrote:
big kahuna wrote:
cerveloguy wrote:

GM has been building mid engine prototypes since 1960 but they've all been dead in the water before going into production. There was talk about dropping the V6 turbo from the Buick Grand National into the Pontiac Fiero. What an amazing mid engine car that would have been, but the project was shelved when the Chevrolet division started complaining that it would cut into Corvette sales. Typical GM.

"Typical GM" is right. I recall Buick catching a lot of flack in the mid-1980s with the Grand National and that turbo V6 and how the Chevy folks demanded that it couldn't be quicker than the Corvette.

Well, let's see if the Zora's team can overcome all the institutional biases and interest groups at GM that are guarding their silos. I'd love to see a mid-engine 'Vette join the stable for sure. :-)

Yup. It was faster than the Corvette on acceleration but Chevrolet demanded that Buick fit the Grand National with a restriction top speed computer chip so that the Vette would still have the fastest top speed. As a side - the Grand National became the chase car of choice for the FBI but it soon became too obvious since they were all painted black so the bad guys were suspicious every time they saw one. My ex brother in law had one. They were damn fast. I remember him letting me drive it one time and my neck snapping back when pushing the pedal to the metal.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Quote:
They were damn fast. I remember him letting me drive it one time and my neck snapping back when pushing the pedal to the metal.

I think Duffy's dope dealer girl got in the back seat and pulled your head back. Wasn't a car in the 80s that could snap your head back otherwise.

________
It doesn't really matter what Phil is saying, the music of his voice is the appropriate soundtrack for a bicycle race. HTupolev
Quote Reply
Re: Looks Like the Mid-Engine Corvette is Real [efernand] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I had a porsche in 1973 with a mid engine(and a Volkswagen one too!). Got 35 MPG and cornered like a race car. If the new Corvette is a full electric it might be a big deal, but guessing it is 20th century technology dressed up to look cool. Hows it going to do against that new Tesla that does 0 to 60 in 1.9???
Quote Reply
Re: Looks Like the Mid-Engine Corvette is Real [H-] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
H- wrote:
Quote:
They were damn fast. I remember him letting me drive it one time and my neck snapping back when pushing the pedal to the metal.

I think Duffy's dope dealer girl got in the back seat and pulled your head back. Wasn't a car in the 80s that could snap your head back otherwise.

I had an '85 Nissan 300ZX turbo that could give a pretty good head (snapping back) job. LOL! I remember it had a top speed of about 137 mph, too (I know, because I made it go that fast a couple of times :-). I think the horsepower from the factory was 200. And the '82 Mustang GT I had, with the Boss 302, while anemic by today's standards, from a horsepower standpoint, had some pretty good torque and I could smoke the rears (with those Michelin TRX tires and aluminum wheels). The Nissan was a smooth five-speed manual. That Mustang had a brute four-speed manual.

Last edited by: big kahuna: Dec 18, 17 18:34
Quote Reply
Re: Looks Like the Mid-Engine Corvette is Real [monty] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
monty wrote:
Hows it going to do against that new Tesla that does 0 to 60 in 1.9???

Kinda irrelevant the new Tesla starts at 250k. That’s in a whole different price range. Although I have heard the mid engine would be required if they wanted to do a hybrid
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
H- wrote:
Quote:

Where you even old enough to have a driving license then? :-) There were some very fast cars by the end of the decade. The early 80's was that time of fugly bumpers and choked up emission controls that they hadn't figured out yet. My 1980 Triumph TR8 was the fifth fastest production car in that year at 0-60 in about 8 seconds. Even the Corvette that year only put out 175 bhp. By the end of the decade it had all changed.
Quote Reply
Re: Looks Like the Mid-Engine Corvette is Real [Grant.Reuter] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
That and the Tesla is vaporware. Would not be surprised if they never make it. If they do, I’d bet the vette would beat it around a track. And I don’t like vettes...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
cerveloguy wrote:
H- wrote:
Quote:

Where you even old enough to have a driving license then? :-) There were some very fast cars by the end of the decade. The early 80's was that time of fugly bumpers and choked up emission controls that they hadn't figured out yet. My 1980 Triumph TR8 was the fifth fastest production car in that year at 0-60 in about 8 seconds. Even the Corvette that year only put out 175 bhp. By the end of the decade it had all changed.

I had my license for two years and had one speeding ticket (in a Mercedes 240D -- 0-60 time of 20 sec, lol -- I worked for that ticket) when the Grand National debuted in 1982:

Quote:
The '82 GN came with a naturally aspirated 4.1 L V6 engine with 125 hp (93 kW) at 4000 rpm and 205 lbâ‹…ft (278 Nâ‹…m) of torque at 2000 rpm. Of the 215 Regal Grand Nationals produced in 1982, at least 35 were based on the Buick Regal Sport Coupe package with the turbocharged 3.8 V6 engine with 175 hp (130 kW) at 4000 rpm and 275 lbâ‹…ft (373 Nâ‹…m) of torque at 2600 rpm. There were only 2022 Sport Coupes produced in 1982, and the number of cars with both the GN and Sport Coupe packages is estimated to be less than 50.

35 Grand Nationals were made with 175 hp. Woohoo.

Seriously, as you can recall, in 1980 when I started driving, cars had anemic HP.

Totally agree, things got better as the 80s went by.

No GN in 1983. Then in 1984:

Quote:
In 1984 the Grand National returned in all black paint. The turbocharged 3.8 L became standard and was refined with sequential fuel injection, distributor-less computer controlled ignition, and boasted 200 hp (150 kW) at 4400 rpm and 300 lb⋅ft (407 N⋅m) of torque at 2400 rpm. Only 5,204 Turbo Regals were produced that year, only 2000 of which were Grand Nationals. Because this was the first year production of the computer controlled Sequential Fuel Injection and Distributor-less ignition, this is often considered the year/model that started the development of the legendary intercooled Grand Nationals. The performance of this package was well ahead of its time and the “Little V6” easily kept up with the bigger V8’s. Quarter mile (~400 m) performance was listed at 15.9 seconds at stock boost levels of 10 psi (0.69 bar), while for the same year, the Chevrolet Camaro was listed at 17.0 and the Chevrolet Corvette at 15.2 seconds.[5] Soon, performance enthusiasts determined the modifications that worked and the Grand Nationals easily broke into the 13-second territory. All Grand Nationals for this year had the Lear Siegler-made cloth/leather interior which was only available for this year. An estimated 200 of the 1984 Grand Nationals were produced with the T-Top option which makes these the rarest of the Grand Nationals.

Things continued to get better.

So, when it is all said and done, I think I want a Grand National.

________
It doesn't really matter what Phil is saying, the music of his voice is the appropriate soundtrack for a bicycle race. HTupolev
Quote Reply
Re: Looks Like the Mid-Engine Corvette is Real [monty] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote:
Hows it going to do against that new Tesla that does 0 to 60 in 1.9???

It’ll much better because, unlike the Tesla you’re talking about, it might actually get built.

Civilize the mind, but make savage the body.

- Chinese proverb
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
H- wrote:
cerveloguy wrote:
H- wrote:
Quote:

I had my license for two years and had one speeding ticket (in a Mercedes 240D -- 0-60 time of 20 sec, lol -- I worked for that ticket) when the Grand National debuted in 1982:

Quote:
The '82 GN came with a naturally aspirated 4.1 L V6 engine with 125 hp (93 kW) at 4000 rpm and 205 lbâ‹…ft (278 Nâ‹…m) of torque at 2000 rpm. Of the 215 Regal Grand Nationals produced in 1982, at least 35 were based on the Buick Regal Sport Coupe package with the turbocharged 3.8 V6 engine with 175 hp (130 kW) at 4000 rpm and 275 lbâ‹…ft (373 Nâ‹…m) of torque at 2600 rpm. There were only 2022 Sport Coupes produced in 1982, and the number of cars with both the GN and Sport Coupe packages is estimated to be less than 50.

35 Grand Nationals were made with 175 hp. Woohoo.

Seriously, as you can recall, in 1980 when I started driving, cars had anemic HP.

Totally agree, things got better as the 80s went by.

No GN in 1983. Then in 1984:

Quote:
In 1984 the Grand National returned in all black paint. The turbocharged 3.8 L became standard and was refined with sequential fuel injection, distributor-less computer controlled ignition, and boasted 200 hp (150 kW) at 4400 rpm and 300 lb⋅ft (407 N⋅m) of torque at 2400 rpm. Only 5,204 Turbo Regals were produced that year, only 2000 of which were Grand Nationals. Because this was the first year production of the computer controlled Sequential Fuel Injection and Distributor-less ignition, this is often considered the year/model that started the development of the legendary intercooled Grand Nationals. The performance of this package was well ahead of its time and the “Little V6” easily kept up with the bigger V8’s. Quarter mile (~400 m) performance was listed at 15.9 seconds at stock boost levels of 10 psi (0.69 bar), while for the same year, the Chevrolet Camaro was listed at 17.0 and the Chevrolet Corvette at 15.2 seconds.[5] Soon, performance enthusiasts determined the modifications that worked and the Grand Nationals easily broke into the 13-second territory. All Grand Nationals for this year had the Lear Siegler-made cloth/leather interior which was only available for this year. An estimated 200 of the 1984 Grand Nationals were produced with the T-Top option which makes these the rarest of the Grand Nationals.

Things continued to get better.

So, when it is all said and done, I think I want a Grand National.

My ex brother in law owned his GN but at the same time was president of the regional Pontiac GTO club with a 1964 convertible and a 1967 coupe. I remember the GN was faster than the GTO's. The GTO's were among the fastest things around in their day, at least in a straight line but couldn't brake or go around a corner at all. Its funny how our perception of "fast" cars has changed over the years. What was legendary in their day is nothing to write home about by today's standards. The cars today are so much better especially with braking and cornering. But still, give me a classic any day. They had style, grace and charm which you just don't get nowadays and its actually a lot more fun to drive a slower car fast than it is to drive a faster car slow.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Quote:
ts funny how our perception of "fast" cars has changed over the years. What was legendary in their day is nothing to write home about by today's standards. The cars today are so much better especially with braking and cornering. But still, give me a classic any day. They had style, grace and charm which you just don't get nowadays and its actually a lot more fun to drive a slower car fast than it is to drive a faster car slow.

QFFT.

Pardon my French.

________
Quote Reply
Re: Looks Like the Mid-Engine Corvette is Real [CW in NH] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
CW in NH wrote:
That and the Tesla is vaporware. Would not be surprised if they never make it. If they do, I’d bet the vette would beat it around a track. And I don’t like vettes...

My dad had a C6 which was pretty fun. I love the new ones I’ll just never buy one new. I’ll wait a couple more years then pick one up. They’ll be down to 20-30k and will be a steal.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I think there are plenty of really good looking cars today that combine looks and performance.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
big kahuna wrote:
I had an '85 Nissan 300ZX turbo ...

"What's your claim?" - Ben Gravy
"Your best work is the work you're excited about" - Rick Rubin
Quote Reply
Re: Looks Like the Mid-Engine Corvette is Real [RandMart] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
RandMart wrote:
big kahuna wrote:
I had an '85 Nissan 300ZX turbo ...

That's funny because, as I've mentioned here before on other posts, I had a black 1996 Nissan 300ZX Twin Turbo. I even sent it to Stillen for a few mods. Great car. Insanely fast, and I didn't put all that many miles on it when I finally moved it onto someone who wanted it more badly than I did, come 2001.

I've had a few Japanese rice rockets in my time. A couple of Mazda RX-7s, a couple of Toyota Supra normally aspirated versions, a couple of Nissan 300ZX turbos. Right now, I have a domestic SUV and an Infiniti G37. That one scoots, too.

Don't get me started on all the Detroit muscle cars and pony cars I've owned over the decades. LOL!

Quote Reply