Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Treadmill vs road times [synthetic] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
My gait on the treadmill is pretty consistent, cadence stays pretty close to the same regardless of how fast I'm going. As such, my watch matches the treadmill almost exactly at 6.7mph. Any faster and it underestimates increasingly as speed increases.

As far as feel, I have run on a LOT of different Life Fitness treadmills, and all of them have been pretty close to perceived effort, and a bit slower than I can do outside with the same perceived effort.
Quote Reply
Re: Treadmill vs road times [MadTownTRI] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Looking forward to a thorough product review!!

---------------------------------------------------------------

https://connect.garmin.com/modern/profile/domingjm
Quote Reply
Re: Treadmill vs road times [MadTownTRI] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Stryd did exactly that for me.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
While on the treadmill using a 920xt, I can be running a consistent 8:15 / mile pace. Then without adjusting the treadmill speed, I can shorten my stride and pump my arms faster to turn it into a 7:15 / mile pace.

Basically what this shows me is that it is a estimate and I will be getting a foot pod for Christmas!!!

"If it costs you 30 minutes at Maryland so what" -dwreal
Quote Reply
Re: Treadmill vs road times [bluestacks867] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I use a footpod along with my 910 on the treadmill. I've tried my 735, but the pace 'estimate' is usually way off, especially for faster paces.

I've calibrated the footpod and the pace on my treadmill at .5% just about perfectly matches my HR at the same pace(s) outside. This is on my own personal treadmill, though - those at a gym probably wouldn't be as much a match.

Blog: http://262toboylstonstreet.blogspot.com/
https://twitter.com/NateThomasTri
Coaching: https://bybtricoaching.com/ - accepting athletes for 2023
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
My treadmill times are slower for sure. My pace is consistently around 10s/km slower on the treadmill. Think it is a combination of boredom and heat. Have calibrated the treadmill several times with the same results.

Terrible Tuesday’s Triathlon
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I run for an hour on various treadmills at the gym 3 times a week, and my pace is 10:00 min/mile with no incline. Faster than that and I can't make it the full hour. Outside my slow pace is 8:30, race pace (10K and HM) is 7:30.

I don't know why the treadmill feels so much harder for me.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
synthetic wrote:
Today, did a 5k on treadmill in 19:50, at 1* incline. But this felt too easy, my Garmin 920xt said I did only 2.7 miles, thus showing a slower pace 7:xx. I can run in 19s on the road for a race. So for you how do treadmill times compare?

Air resistance increases exponentially (4th power if I remember right?) to speed. So a 1% incline may be ok at 6-8.5 mph. But I think once you go sub 7:00 pace, incline of 1.5-2% would most likely replicate outdoor efforts.
Quote Reply
Re: Treadmill vs road times [Grant.Reuter] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Grant.Reuter wrote:
MacCTD wrote:
You can calibrate the Garmin to your treadmill mileage, when you hit stop on the Garmin just scroll down past save to calibrate and save and then you can adjust the mileage so the Garmin matches the actual treadmill mileage. Not sure if this helps your situation, but for me it made my treadmill running more accurate to the actual effort I was putting out.

I legitamately I have no idea why you would ever do that? Why would you calibrate the footpod to a number that you have no idea is accurate? Matching the treadmill theoretical speed is not the best option.

I am not calibrating my footpod, I have a 935, it has a treadmill option, it calculates distance based on arm movement, my Sole treadmill is calibrated as well, the belt is moving a speed that reflects the speed it is set for.
Quote Reply
Re: Treadmill vs road times [kells] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
kells wrote:
I run for an hour on various treadmills at the gym 3 times a week, and my pace is 10:00 min/mile with no incline. Faster than that and I can't make it the full hour. Outside my slow pace is 8:30, race pace (10K and HM) is 7:30.

I don't know why the treadmill feels so much harder for me.

I am almost exactly the same, except I run a 2% incline, my Garmin calculates the speed to be much higher on the treadmill than it actually is, I use the calibrate option to set it and then it is very close. One thing I notice is my HR is much steadier on the treadmill and generally around 10% - 15% lower with the same perceived effort level as when I run outside.
Quote Reply
Re: Treadmill vs road times [MacCTD] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The problem is the treadmill is more likely than not wrong. Consistent yes, but still wrong. I have a landice treadmill and it’s about a half mph off which is obviously a huge difference. Seriously just spend the money and get the footpod it’s worth it.

What you’re doing with setting the treadmill is the same as having a speedometer on a bike and randomly picking the wheel circumference. Sure it’ll get you a distance, but it’s probabaly wrong .
Quote Reply
Re: Treadmill vs road times [Grant.Reuter] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Wondering if someone line the colonel Sanders who does most his running on treadmill can chime in
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
i find my outdoor pace and hr are closest when I use 2% on the TM.
Quote Reply

Prev Next