Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Best app/software to view rides
Quote | Reply
So I've always used Strava outdoors and TrainerRoad indoors. Recently I bought a power meter (PowerTap P1 Pedals) and am wondering what the best place to view ride information is. Strava gives very vague power ranges after the ride.

My bike computer is a Wahoo Elemnt Bolt and I use the Elemnt app that shows better info. What's best option though? I'd like a place to upload rides and see total TSS, review rides and geek out over the power info, etc.

I appreciate any info!
Quote Reply
Re: Best app/software to view rides [cbr shadow] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
cbr shadow wrote:
So I've always used Strava outdoors and TrainerRoad indoors. Recently I bought a power meter (PowerTap P1 Pedals) and am wondering what the best place to view ride information is. Strava gives very vague power ranges after the ride.

My bike computer is a Wahoo Elemnt Bolt and I use the Elemnt app that shows better info. What's best option though? I'd like a place to upload rides and see total TSS, review rides and geek out over the power info, etc.

I appreciate any info!

Hey there!

It sounds like the best option for you at this time would be TrainingPeaks. You can easily export your rides from TrainerRoad and Strava to TP so that all your data is in the same place.

In the near future though, TrainerRoad will be able to be your one-stop shop for all things training related. We have been working on a huge project to bring new training analytics and outdoor ride compatibility to our app and we are very excited for the day we can finally release it to the world :)

Cheers!

Get Faster with TrainerRoad
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Online? Training peaks.

Offline? Golden Cheetah.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
For some reason Strava does not use the accepted standard formula for computer normalized power. Maybe it has to do with licensing, I don't know. Anyway, Garmin Connect does and of course Training Peaks does (they own the formula). Both these will provide accurate information, with TP providing more details (at a cost) and GC being free.
Last edited by: NealH: Dec 18, 17 3:04
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I mostly look on my phone via apps. I like the data in the Garmin Connect app the best. But since you have a wahoo, training peaks is the next best. Training peaks on a computer is just as good as anything, but not a huge fan of the app display of graphs and such.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've installed a cool extension to Chrome that give a ton of better info to strava. Stravstix.

My other new favorite is wattsboard.com

I think of it like trainingpeaks lite. All the metrics are based on the same science but it is simplified and distilled down to the basics.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
At least at present, WKO4 is the only program that implements all of the ideas that I have shared publicly.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'd recommend giving Golden Cheetah a try - it's free so there's nothing to lose!

I've been using it since I got a PM about 15 months ago and have found it pretty valuable. You can dig as deep into the data as you like, or just look at the summaries. There are also quite a few good tutorials on YouTube.

-----
http://www.howesgreg.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Options - at least this was my path and I think this is the most common progression:

TrainingPeaks (free) - personally I don't think the free version is all that great BUT - set up a free account right now, set it to auto sync with Strava and TrainerRoad and if you ever decide to go with the paid version, all your data is already in the program. I had a free account for about 2 years that I never looked at after the first week. But, when I sprang for the paid version, I instantly had 2 years worth of data to look at.

TrainingPeaks (paid) - this is well worth the money (about $100) per year. You get a mobile app and a web based tool and they are automatically synced whith each outher. Almost all the major data sources (TR, Strava, Wahoo, Garmin, etc) can be set to automatically sync data to TP. TP has a great training calendar/log, and a very good set of power analysis tools (all that 90% of people need). You can create a customized annual training plan and it is a great place to track metrics like weight, goals, etc. This is pretty much the go to app if you want to move up to something way more sophisticated than the Strava power tools. The web app is where most of the power is. The mobile app is great but you are missing out on alot of the power of the program if you do not also use the web tool. Most people can be happy and do what they want to do with the paid TP subscriptions.

True analysis tools - Golden Cheetah or WKO4. This is where true power data geekdom lies.

WKO4 is the granddaddy of power analysis tools. It is from the same folks as TrainingPeaks and pulls data automatically from TP. It is an actual computer program and costs about $160. Unless you have a Phd in sports physiology and coach a stable of World Tour riders, you will not even come close to maxing out its tools. Serious geekdom. But, it is fairly user friendly for rank and file amateurs and they have a ton of help/learning info on line.

Golden Cheetah - this is a "freeware" tool that is very similar to WKO4. It is free. The only downside is the interface is a bit less polished than WKO4 and it can be just a bit more difficult to figure out how to do stuff. And while importing data is easy in Golden Cheetah, it is a somewhat manual process whereas it is totally automatic in WKO4. On the plus side, Golden Cheetah is FREE and it does pretty much everything WKO4 does, at least for what normal people are after. This is a great place to start out since it is free and you can see if deep power analysis is something you really are interested in. I used Golden Cheetah for a while but eventually sprang for WKO4 because it was a little easier to use and easier to sync data but at least for my purposes, the basic tools I use are pretty much the same.
Quote Reply
Re: Best app/software to view rides [STP] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
STP wrote:
WKO4 is the granddaddy of power analysis tools. It is from the same folks as TrainingPeaks

Technically speaking, that's not really correct. WKO4 (and it's predecessors CyclingPeaks and WKO+) were developed by individuals/entities outside of TrainingPeaks, then absorbed/incorporated into the latter company. In fact, it was the merger of TrainingBible.com with the original CyclingPeaks Software that led to the formation of TrainingPeaks.
Last edited by: Andrew Coggan: Dec 18, 17 6:14
Quote Reply