Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Michigan cracks down on emotional support animals...maybe
Quote | Reply
Michigan may crack down on the fakes...Fake emotional support animals could land owners in jail under bill
Updated Dec 16, 8:06 AM; Posted Dec 16, 8:00 AM

A bill pending in the Michigan Senate would make it a misdemeanor to misrepresent an animal as an emotional support animal. Walter, a beagle, is not an emotional support animal. (Lauren Gibbons | MLive.com)
6shares
By Emily Lawler
elawler@mlive.com
LANSING, MI - Michiganders trying to pass off pets as emotional support animals would face jail time and rental housing eviction under a bill introduced in the Michigan Senate in November.
Federal law defines a service dog as a dog individually trained to do work or perform tasks for a person with a disability. Emotional support animals are a different category altogether, one that hasn't been defined in Michigan law.
But Senate Bill 663 would change that, defining an emotional support animal as an "assistance animal that provides emotional support to a person with a disability who has a disability-related need for that support."
Under the bill, a person would need documentation from a physician to prove their emotional support animal was legitimate.
A physician would have to certify he or she had treated the person with a disability for at least six months, and upon request provide a notarized letter certifying the person was disabled and the emotional support animal was necessary "to alleviate the effects of the disability that would otherwise prevent the disabled person from having the same opportunities to use a public place or residence as a nondisabled person."
The bill, introduced by Sen. Peter MacGregor, R-Rockford, comes in response to requests from airlines and landlords, said Senate Republican spokeswoman Amber McCann. In some cases, she said, people are going online to pay for a certification that doesn't mean much.
"There are a number of entities that are cropping up to provide certification for that when it's really not a credible entity providing that certification," McCann said.
Those who fraudulently present an animal as an emotional support animal when it doesn't meet the conditions the bill spells out would be guilty of a misdemeanor and subject to up to 90 days in jail, a fine of up to $500, up to 30 days of community service and eviction by a landlord.
Similar penalties are already in place for those who misrepresent a dog as a service dog.
"If you're found to have fraudulently presented the animal as some sort of emotional wellbeing animal without proper certification, the landlord can remove you from your apartment if they only are allowing that based on this fraudulent certification and it is indeed found to be fraudulent," McCann said.
McCann said the concern was brought to MacGregor by airlines and people involved in the real estate industry, where landlords confront issues with emotional support animals.
The bill is pending in the Senate Local Government Committee. It would need to pass the full Senate, the full House and earn a signature from Gov. Rick Snyder to become law.
Quote Reply
Re: Michigan cracks down on emotional support animals...maybe [Go Pound Sand] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
On the one hand, good. I’m tired of seeing people shamelessly bringing their nappy little ankle biters into the grocery store and deli, hiding under the excuse of an emotional need that they don’t have.

On the other hand, like everything the government dips their dirty paws into, I hope this has been thought through fully so it doesn’t inadvertently impact organizations like Hospice that have therapeutic support animals as part of the volunteer corps. If certification becomes more difficult, expensive to apply for, or is tied to a single patient (rather than a care home/facility or individual volunteer as is the case with Hospice), it could be an irony of governmental proportions by removing access to the service by some of the very people who actually need it the most. As a Michigan resident, I’m going to write to my reps and these two today and ask that they make sure they’ve fully considered this as part of the change.

Go Pound Sand wrote:
Michigan may crack down on the fakes...Fake emotional support animals could land owners in jail under bill
Updated Dec 16, 8:06 AM; Posted Dec 16, 8:00 AM

A bill pending in the Michigan Senate would make it a misdemeanor to misrepresent an animal as an emotional support animal. Walter, a beagle, is not an emotional support animal. (Lauren Gibbons | MLive.com)
6shares
By Emily Lawler
elawler@mlive.com
LANSING, MI - Michiganders trying to pass off pets as emotional support animals would face jail time and rental housing eviction under a bill introduced in the Michigan Senate in November.
Federal law defines a service dog as a dog individually trained to do work or perform tasks for a person with a disability. Emotional support animals are a different category altogether, one that hasn't been defined in Michigan law.
But Senate Bill 663 would change that, defining an emotional support animal as an "assistance animal that provides emotional support to a person with a disability who has a disability-related need for that support."
Under the bill, a person would need documentation from a physician to prove their emotional support animal was legitimate.
A physician would have to certify he or she had treated the person with a disability for at least six months, and upon request provide a notarized letter certifying the person was disabled and the emotional support animal was necessary "to alleviate the effects of the disability that would otherwise prevent the disabled person from having the same opportunities to use a public place or residence as a nondisabled person."
The bill, introduced by Sen. Peter MacGregor, R-Rockford, comes in response to requests from airlines and landlords, said Senate Republican spokeswoman Amber McCann. In some cases, she said, people are going online to pay for a certification that doesn't mean much.
"There are a number of entities that are cropping up to provide certification for that when it's really not a credible entity providing that certification," McCann said.
Those who fraudulently present an animal as an emotional support animal when it doesn't meet the conditions the bill spells out would be guilty of a misdemeanor and subject to up to 90 days in jail, a fine of up to $500, up to 30 days of community service and eviction by a landlord.
Similar penalties are already in place for those who misrepresent a dog as a service dog.
"If you're found to have fraudulently presented the animal as some sort of emotional wellbeing animal without proper certification, the landlord can remove you from your apartment if they only are allowing that based on this fraudulent certification and it is indeed found to be fraudulent," McCann said.
McCann said the concern was brought to MacGregor by airlines and people involved in the real estate industry, where landlords confront issues with emotional support animals.
The bill is pending in the Senate Local Government Committee. It would need to pass the full Senate, the full House and earn a signature from Gov. Rick Snyder to become law.
Quote Reply
Re: Michigan cracks down on emotional support animals...maybe [Go Pound Sand] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Honestly I think the law should be federal and Canada should do the same thing.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I don't think this goes far enough.

There should be no such thing as an emotional support animal in public. I could see protecting them for home, apartment, gov't housing etc. But if you are so bad you need your dog to make a trip to home depot, then stay home! We have gotten along without ESAs for millions of years, we do not need them now.
Quote Reply
Re: Michigan cracks down on emotional support animals...maybe [racin_rusty] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
racin_rusty wrote:

Yeah, this.
Quote Reply
Re: Michigan cracks down on emotional support animals...maybe [rick_pcfl] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
One of the current hurdles, in Canada at least is that there isn't an established standard for support animals. I think that would be the obvious first step.
Quote Reply
Re: Michigan cracks down on emotional support animals...maybe [patf] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
patf wrote:

There should be no such thing as an emotional support animal in public. I could see protecting them for home, apartment, gov't housing etc. But if you are so bad you need your dog to make a trip to home depot, then stay home! We have gotten along without ESAs for millions of years, we do not need them now.
Yes. I have seen females bring in their so-called support animals on ropes into the soup kitchen feeding them Cheetos and other junk foods. Allow in one, then come in the rest. The director of the kitchen is a bit of a chicken and permits this nonsense for fear of confrontation.

Quote | Reply
racin_rusty wrote:

X2. It honestly grosses me out that people now bring their animals into the grocery store where I am buying my fresh fruit and vegetables. Extra fleas and feces is not what I have in mind as additional protein and fiber in my food supply.

DFL > DNF > DNS
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
This law will be pretty useless, as I think it’s pretty easy to shop for a doctor to “certify” that a emotional support animal is needed.

I live in an apartment where the landlord has a “no dogs” clause in the lease. The nutjob downstairs got a dog, but the landlord can’t do anything to get rid of her since she has a doctors note. I’d give her a pass, but instead of getting a quiet friendly dog, she got any annoying toy dog (chihuahua?) that yaps all the time when she’s not there - it won’t STFU.
Quote Reply
Re: Michigan cracks down on emotional support animals...maybe [ChiTownJack] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ChiTownJack wrote:
This law will be pretty useless, as I think it’s pretty easy to shop for a doctor to “certify” that a emotional support animal is needed.

I live in an apartment where the landlord has a “no dogs” clause in the lease. The nutjob downstairs got a dog, but the landlord can’t do anything to get rid of her since she has a doctors note. I’d give her a pass, but instead of getting a quiet friendly dog, she got any annoying toy dog (chihuahua?) that yaps all the time when she’s not there - it won’t STFU.

Get a dog whistle recording and "blast it" on repeat when you know thr owner is home
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
This is becoming a big issue in higher education. You wouldn't believe the animals that get 'approved' on campus and dorm life. It is really ridiculous. I know of one school that has to make accommodations for a miniature horse.

At the risk of discrimination, the campuses can't really ask many questions about the animals purpose. Several schools are trying to figure out a way to address this without getting sued.
Quote Reply
Re: Michigan cracks down on emotional support animals...maybe [patf] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
patf wrote:

Right, lets not come up with any new treatments, for anything, cause we have gotten along without them for millions of years and do not need them now.

Just one example, of how your claim fails, In past wars far more people died then at present because body armor is better, medical service in field, and the ability to get to major medical faster is better. Therefore less soldiers die, however because of this we have more wounded warrior. Head injuries increasing significantly. Those soldiers have more issues then in the past, therefore new treatments need to be evaluated. For some of the going out into a crowd is a problem and these animals allow them to function like normal human beings again.

Just Triing
Triathlete since 9:56:39 AM EST Aug 20, 2006.
Be kind English is my 2nd language. My primary language is Dave it's a unique evolution of English.
Quote Reply
Re: Michigan cracks down on emotional support animals...maybe [Trispoke] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm teach part-time at a university in Michigan and we are told pretty much anything goes. Two years ago, I had a student that brought a parrot-type bird to class, YES to class. The bird knew two words, hello and good-bye. It talked constantly and made our class time worthless. After a couple of weeks, the other students gave the lady such a hard time, she dropped.

I wish I had taken a picture of the bird.
Quote Reply
Re: Michigan cracks down on emotional support animals...maybe [DavHamm] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Head injuries increasing significantly. Those soldiers have more issues then in the past, therefore new treatments need to be evaluated. For some of the going out into a crowd is a problem and these animals allow them to function like normal human beings again. //

I was just going to point this out as I have seen in the past months two guys obviously veterans(probably with PTSD) with support dogs. And I think I just saw a show or bit of about dogs and soldiers with PTSD and how much they helped them function. Of course there are the obscene flagrant violations of this law, but to just say do away with it and be done, well why do you hate soldiers/veterans????
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
See my earlier post. You’re incorrect and ignorant of other emotional/therapeutic support animal applications. No doubt it’s gone way too far and been taken advantage of in terrible ways, but it shouldn’t be dismissed as a therapeutic option because of those idiots.

patf wrote:

Quote Reply
Re: Michigan cracks down on emotional support animals...maybe [MidwestRoadie] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
MidwestRoadie wrote:
See my earlier post. You’re incorrect and ignorant of other emotional/therapeutic support animal applications. No doubt it’s gone way too far and been taken advantage of in terrible ways, but it shouldn’t be dismissed as a therapeutic option because of those idiots.

patf wrote:

I did not say dismiss it. I said if you are that sick stay home or get yourself in good enough condition to go in public for an hour without your animal. Fee free to treat yourself at home. I even said it is fine to have protections in home use so people can't be denied housing etc. But the idea people can't function and go to a grocery store/home depot for an hour is ridiculous. If you can't fly without your animal, drive.
Quote Reply
Re: Michigan cracks down on emotional support animals...maybe [Trispoke] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I wish they would add some training requirement- like AKC canine good citizen at a minimum or something. I have seen some terribly trained dogs in the airport that I would not let my child walk by.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Quote:
But if you are so bad you need your dog to make a trip to home depot, then stay home!

Agorophobia is a very real condition. I'm for regulations that approve emotional support animals for real conditions like that. But it should be way more regulated, and I agree with fines and jail time for people who make sh*t up.

I've always wondered about people's allergies. As ThisisIt mentioned, ESAs are very common on campuses nowadays. Seems like eventually I'll have a student with an ESA that someone else is allergic to.

maybe she's born with it, maybe it's chlorine
If you're injured and need some sympathy, PM me and I'm very happy to write back.
disclaimer: PhD not MD
Quote Reply
Re: Michigan cracks down on emotional support animals...maybe [Dr. Tigerchik] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Dr. Tigerchik wrote:
Quote:
But if you are so bad you need your dog to make a trip to home depot, then stay home!

Agorophobia is a very real condition. I'm for regulations that approve emotional support animals for real conditions like that. But it should be way more regulated, and I agree with fines and jail time for people who make sh*t up.

I've always wondered about people's allergies. As ThisisIt mentioned, ESAs are very common on campuses nowadays. Seems like eventually I'll have a student with an ESA that someone else is allergic to.

Good points, but couldn't the therapy work in areas were animals are already legal like parks, sidewalks, in your car, other venues where accepted, etc so that you overcome your condition. Then you do not have to bring them on planes, or into every business and food place.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply

Quote:

Good points, but couldn't the therapy work in areas were animals are already legal like parks, sidewalks, in your car, other venues where accepted, etc so that you overcome your condition. Then you do not have to bring them on planes, or into every business and food place.

Yes, that's a good point.

maybe she's born with it, maybe it's chlorine
If you're injured and need some sympathy, PM me and I'm very happy to write back.
disclaimer: PhD not MD
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
There is a big push here to make it so landlords cannot discriminate against renters who have pets at all.

We currently have a vacancy rate near zero, and no one wants to rent to pet owners (I can't imagine why!).

I have a dog, but, I also waited to get one until I was a home owner. No way in hell I'm renting to a pet owner.

Long Chile was a silly place.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Go Pound Sand wrote:
I'm teach part-time at a university in Michigan and we are told pretty much anything goes. Two years ago, I had a student that brought a parrot-type bird to class, YES to class. The bird knew two words, hello and good-bye. It talked constantly and made our class time worthless. After a couple of weeks, the other students gave the lady such a hard time, she dropped.

What did you and your class have against the Beatles? #BirdBeatlesImpersonatorsMatter
Quote Reply
Re: Michigan cracks down on emotional support animals...maybe [ubdawg] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ubdawg wrote:
Go Pound Sand wrote:

What did you and your class have against the Beatles? #BirdBeatlesImpersonatorsMatter

I was thinking Jerry's Uncle Leo.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Tons of abuse of ESAs these days. There is virtually no need to transport your pet in the baggage hold on airlines any longer. You simply state your pet is an ESA and the airline has to accept it, no questions asked. I've seen every size and shape of dog, cats, a mini pony, a turkey, and a chicken.
Quote Reply
Re: Michigan cracks down on emotional support animals...maybe [Dr. Tigerchik] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I think there's a lot of misunderstanding and misinformation about ESAs and service animals, to the point where people think they can bring their animal anywhere and public establishments think they have no choice but to allow it.

ESAs only must be accommodated in certain housing (I think the owner must own and rent out three or more units) and on commercial airplanes. There is generally no right to take an ESA into a restaurant, grocery store, hotels, classroom, or other public establishment. While a landlord in most situations cannot charge an additional fee for an ESA, there can still be limitations, such when an ESA poses a threat to other tenants, is unreasonably noisy, destroys property, etc., or potential loss of insurance, in which case the particular ESA can be prohibited. A landlord can require proof of the need for an ESA when that need isn't apparent.

Airlines also require proof of need, generally a letter from a licensed therapist, and advanced booking. Certain animals may not be permitted in a cabin, there may be size limitations, and certainly behavior requirements.

Service animals are different than ESAs, but are limited to dogs and miniature horses. The service animal also has to be trained to perform a specific task in assisting the owner with a disability.

The problem often is that it sometimes can be difficult to determine whether a dog is a service animal or a ESA, and while an establishment can ask, many are afraid of the hassle. I think a relatively simple solution would be to require an official ID or permit for a service animal. To obtain the permit, the owner would have to show a note from a doctor establishing medical need as well as a certificate that the dog has been trained to perform a specific task to address that need.
Quote Reply