Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

BMC TM02 2017 di2 size choice
Quote | Reply
Hi everyone,

I'm considering buying a bmc tm02, as it is currently on sale. However, I'm struggling to decide if the size is appropriate for me. There is only one size option still available, MS.
My height is 5'9.7". Inseam is 865mm. My saddle to BB centre is approximately 75/76cm.

I entered my current bike setup data in the tm01 sizing tool at bmc website, and it clearly advised me to select an MS frame.
However, my current bike is a scott foil setup as a tt bike, so position might be a bit off. Plus, it’s a TM01 frame calculator and not a TM02 (Although I don’t think it makes a difference for the choice).

My concern is that currently most people using this frame size are a bit shorter than me (like 8/9 cm), so I'm wondering is am not making a mistake choosing this frame size.

Has anyone experience with this frame and could help me choose the right size for me?

Thanks for reading
Quote Reply
Re: BMC TM02 2017 di2 size choice [strangename] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Where are you located?

Trent Nix
Owned and operated Tri Shop
F.I.S.T. Advanced Certified Fitter | Retul Master Certified Fitter (back when those were things)
Quote Reply
Re: BMC TM02 2017 di2 size choice [trentnix] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hi Trentnix,

Currently, I live in France.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It's so incredibly difficult to effectively use height/inseam information to effectively determine bike sizes. I'm not familiar with good fitters in France who might offer Fit First services, but maybe someone else on the forum can steer you in the right direction.

Trent Nix
Owned and operated Tri Shop
F.I.S.T. Advanced Certified Fitter | Retul Master Certified Fitter (back when those were things)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Almost impossible to give you a straight answer... I used to race a MS TM01 and I'm very close your height (5'9"), I have a friend that's the height and races a ML (just longer upper body) and another friend that's on a S (shorter upper body and very flexible). All being the same height... about the only size that may not work would be L, but even that is not impossible... you can end up spending a lot of money on a bike that will only be sub-par for you...

"Suddenly the thought struck me. My floor is someone elses ceiling"-Nils Ferlin
Quote Reply
Re: BMC TM02 2017 di2 size choice [audiojan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
audiojan wrote:
Almost impossible to give you a straight answer... I used to race a MS TM01 and I'm very close your height (5'9"), I have a friend that's the height and races a ML (just longer upper body) and another friend that's on a S (shorter upper body and very flexible). All being the same height... about the only size that may not work would be L, but even that is not impossible... you can end up spending a lot of money on a bike that will only be sub-par for you...

Thanks everyone. Yes, I know that'd be better if I could get a proper fit. I'll probably get one next year.
However, what you just told me comforts me in the choice of a MS : I have a leg/torso ratio that appears to be quite standard if I look at cycling charts. ( 181 cm tall for 86 cm inseam).

What also strikes me is that people shorter than me using this frame size almost always have a short saddle height that gives an odd look to the bike.

By any chance, does anyone know if there is an incompatibility with the powertap C1 chainrings ? I know I'll have to change the crankset, I'm talking about the frame. Looking at the pictures it seems fine to me, but you never know.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
181cm is almost 6' tall... I'm 175cm, 5'9"... it's still entirely possible that a MS will fit you, but it kind of sounds small for someone your size...

"Suddenly the thought struck me. My floor is someone elses ceiling"-Nils Ferlin
Quote Reply
Re: BMC TM02 2017 di2 size choice [audiojan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
audiojan wrote:
181cm is almost 6' tall... I'm 175cm, 5'9"... it's still entirely possible that a MS will fit you, but it kind of sounds small for someone your size...

Oh no, you're crushing my dreams :(

When I'll go to take it (IF I go), is there any way to make sure the size is ok ?
Well just try it you'll say.. however I don't think the shop will agree to cut the seatpost just to check the size is ok for me if I didnt buy it first ...
I know I can put the seat post on the rear placement, however it's not really useful as its not the position I plan to use on this bike.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
strangename wrote:
audiojan wrote:

Oh no, you're crushing my dreams :(

When I'll go to take it (IF I go), is there any way to make sure the size is ok ?
Well just try it you'll say.. however I don't think the shop will agree to cut the seatpost just to check the size is ok for me if I didnt buy it first ...
I know I can put the seat post on the rear placement, however it's not really useful as its not the position I plan to use on this bike.

you need a lot of reach. Long is fast. There's no way you're going to fit on an MS after an aerodynamic fit session with me in my studio.

As others have said, get a *good* fit from a reputable fitter to find the bike you need, not find a way to fit on the bike you want (the MS)

Eric Reid AeroFit | Instagram Portfolio
Aerodynamic Retul Bike Fitting

“You are experiencing the criminal coverup of a foreign backed fascist hostile takeover of a mafia shakedown of an authoritarian religious slow motion coup. Persuade people to vote for Democracy.”
Quote Reply
Re: BMC TM02 2017 di2 size choice [ericMPro] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ericMPro wrote:
you need a lot of reach. Long is fast. There's no way you're going to fit on an MS after an aerodynamic fit session with me in my studio.

As others have said, get a *good* fit from a reputable fitter to find the bike you need, not find a way to fit on the bike you want (the MS)

Well that's clear.

As I said, I first looked at BMC sizing tool that advised a MS frame, then looked at bikes on sale and saw one. The reason why I posted is that i didn't really beleive a M/S frame would be good for me even if their tool advised me to take it.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
get the ML if you can find one

Eric Reid AeroFit | Instagram Portfolio
Aerodynamic Retul Bike Fitting

“You are experiencing the criminal coverup of a foreign backed fascist hostile takeover of a mafia shakedown of an authoritarian religious slow motion coup. Persuade people to vote for Democracy.”
Quote Reply
Re: BMC TM02 2017 di2 size choice [ericMPro] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ericMPro wrote:
get the ML if you can find one

That's the size I would have picked if I didnt take their sizing tool in consideration.
Didn't see any available ML , however as you said I'm not going to buy a bike that doesn't fit me. Too bad, I'll have a hard time finding a used di2 TT bike for less than $3k but I'll keep looking.

Thanks for the advice !
Quote Reply