Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Another Smart Trainer Question - Mostly Cycleops Hammer
Quote | Reply
I've taken a convoluted path to finding a new bike trainer. I have an old 1Up USA trainer. I wanted to upgrade. I had a good deal on an Elite Drivo, and I demoed it. I liked it, but it still vibrated the floor in an upstairs spare bedroom bothering my wife, and thus I'm relegated to the garage where I've been for years. In so doing, I decided to forego a smart trainer (I have Quarqs on both bikes) and get a LeMond Revolution. I love the "feel" of the LeMond, but the noise bothers me. The best solution are Bose noise cancelling earbuds ($250), and I still hear the trainer; lesser priced noise-cancelling headphones are even more bothersome; I haven't bought the earbuds yet - only tried them out.

And then I rode a 24-hour trainer fundraiser event last weekend. I rode a Kickr. The road feel is not as nice as the LeMond Revolution, but acceptable. And I like the rear wheel off approach to trainers; I don't want to go back to a rear wheel. But what I really noticed when I returned to the LeMond after the event was the noise. I didn't wear headphones during the event, and we had over 20 Kickrs in the room. I really didn't notice how much the noise affected me until I returned to the Revolution after the event. The lack of noise with smart trainers is very nice.

So, even if I am in the garage where the noise of the LeMond Revolution doesn't bother my wife, if seems to bother me - a lot, even with excellent noise-cancelling headphones. I also really like the lack of a rear wheel for a trainer. I'm pretty sure I can sell the LeMond for what I bought it ($250), and if I don't buy the Bose headphones (another $250), then that's $500 towards a smart trainer.

My LBS owner thinks he can get me a good deal on a Cycleops Hammer - his favorite smart trainer. From what I read it has a big flywheel and is fairly smooth - not like the LeMond, but at least as smooth as the Kickr. The Kickr is another option, and so is an Elite Direto. The Drivo is another option (I did like it), but the discount won't be as great as the Hammer or Kickr.

So, how "smooth" is the Hammer? I'm probably heading in that direction. Thoughts on the Hammer for the other smart trainers?

Michael
Quote Reply
Re: Another Smart Trainer Question - Mostly Cycleops Hammer [wacomme] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
wacomme wrote:
I've taken a convoluted path to finding a new bike trainer. I have an old 1Up USA trainer. I wanted to upgrade. I had a good deal on an Elite Drivo, and I demoed it. I liked it, but it still vibrated the floor in an upstairs spare bedroom bothering my wife, and thus I'm relegated to the garage where I've been for years. In so doing, I decided to forego a smart trainer (I have Quarqs on both bikes) and get a LeMond Revolution. I love the "feel" of the LeMond, but the noise bothers me. The best solution are Bose noise cancelling earbuds ($250), and I still hear the trainer; lesser priced noise-cancelling headphones are even more bothersome; I haven't bought the earbuds yet - only tried them out.

And then I rode a 24-hour trainer fundraiser event last weekend. I rode a Kickr. The road feel is not as nice as the LeMond Revolution, but acceptable. And I like the rear wheel off approach to trainers; I don't want to go back to a rear wheel. But what I really noticed when I returned to the LeMond after the event was the noise. I didn't wear headphones during the event, and we had over 20 Kickrs in the room. I really didn't notice how much the noise affected me until I returned to the Revolution after the event. The lack of noise with smart trainers is very nice.

So, even if I am in the garage where the noise of the LeMond Revolution doesn't bother my wife, if seems to bother me - a lot, even with excellent noise-cancelling headphones. I also really like the lack of a rear wheel for a trainer. I'm pretty sure I can sell the LeMond for what I bought it ($250), and if I don't buy the Bose headphones (another $250), then that's $500 towards a smart trainer.

My LBS owner thinks he can get me a good deal on a Cycleops Hammer - his favorite smart trainer. From what I read it has a big flywheel and is fairly smooth - not like the LeMond, but at least as smooth as the Kickr. The Kickr is another option, and so is an Elite Direto. The Drivo is another option (I did like it), but the discount won't be as great as the Hammer or Kickr.

So, how "smooth" is the Hammer? I'm probably heading in that direction. Thoughts on the Hammer for the other smart trainers?

Michael

I upgraded my old Cyclops Powerbeam Pro to a Hammer several months ago and really like it. But it loses momentum fast, unlike coasting in the real world. So I am definitely slower on the Hammer than riding the same course outdoors.
Quote Reply
Re: Another Smart Trainer Question - Mostly Cycleops Hammer [wacomme] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Very damn smooth and has a good road feel. Takes the flywheel quite a while to come to stop when you stop pedaling. Though I'm coming back from injury and haven't had a stab at assessing power on outdoor rides, it certainly feels that delta between outside and inside watts would be minimal on this thing, which I've gotten only on rollers before.

It's also relatively quiet, and the sound gets drowned out by the two box fans I have. I have very little to complain about.
Quote Reply
Re: Another Smart Trainer Question - Mostly Cycleops Hammer [echappist] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Wow. Very polar points of view about the Hammer's road feel.

Michael
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I will second what Echappist said. Love my Hammer. Very good road feel and very smooth.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
wacomme wrote:

Michael

It's smooth, it's quiet, but it does not have the same road feel as outside. There is simply no way I can match my outdoor rides on the same course using the Hammer. I'm going to be 1-2 mph slower on the trainer because it DOES spin down faster. That's not a complaint, just an observation.
Quote Reply
Re: Another Smart Trainer Question - Mostly Cycleops Hammer [HuffNPuff] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
HuffNPuff wrote:
wacomme wrote:

Michael

It's smooth, it's quiet, but it does not have the same road feel as outside. There is simply no way I can match my outdoor rides on the same course using the Hammer. I'm going to be 1-2 mph slower on the trainer because it DOES spin down faster. That's not a complaint, just an observation.

Yeah but who cares about indoor speed though?

And the coasting is a nom issue for me. I ride indoors so I don't coast or stop and can workout nonstop uninterrupted.

I have a hammer. It's great. Thought about selling to try a Neo. Decided not to. Like it too damn much.
Quote Reply
Re: Another Smart Trainer Question - Mostly Cycleops Hammer [blueapplepaste] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I don't care at all. I love my Hammer and I think Rouvy is outstanding. But that wasn't the question.
Quote Reply
Re: Another Smart Trainer Question - Mostly Cycleops Hammer [HuffNPuff] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks for the feedback.

I've read a few negatives about the Hammer:

1) The power meter accuracy isn't great. This isn't a huge concern for me since I ride bikes with their own power meters (Quarqs), but it seems that a trainer this expensive would have a more accurate power meter. And does it have strain gauges, or doesn't it use another methods for computing power (e.g, Kickr)?

2) Apparently their is some type of power dropouts on Zwift, and the response to elevations changes is slow compared to other high end trainers.

Any comments on these issues with the Hammer?

Michael
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have a Quarq Riken and it's +/- 2% to the Hammer. I've found they track almost identically at higher wattages (>200W). I do calibrate both.
Quote Reply
Re: Another Smart Trainer Question - Mostly Cycleops Hammer [blueapplepaste] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Here's a summary about the Zwift issue:

First, there is a lag issue where the resistance (on steeper hills) in Zwift will not be felt on the Hammer for a few seconds and then will not get easier at the crest of the hill for a few seconds. It is very unnatural when in races or group rides. Secondly, there is a bad issue where wattage will suddenly drop to zero when changing gears on a climb.

Power dropouts in Zwift. There still seem to be issues with power dropouts in Zwift. There was recently a firmware upgrade that evidently fixed this, but there must still be work to do as I am still experiencing them. They tend to occur on gradient changes and last for about a second or two. If you plan to 'race' on zwift, this is an absolute deal breaker.

Is this a problem for many, or is it very isolated?

Michael
Last edited by: wacomme: Dec 17, 17 11:24
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have a couple of Enve wheel sets w G3 but since the Hammer is direct drive I can't compare the power readings. However, I set my FTP and the training zones seem to be right. Consistency with the same power meter is all that matters in my book. You can easily crush yourself with the Hammer.

I researched Zwift and did not find it appealing for how I train, although I recognize it is widely popular. I use Rouvy and am very happy with the software.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I do get the resistance lag when riding routes in Rouvy. I would say it is about 3 seconds and I've learned to push beyond the crest for those few seconds before I feel the resistance drop.

As to watts dropping to zero on a gear change, I've never experienced that.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
HuffNPuff wrote:
I do get the resistance lag when riding routes in Rouvy. I would say it is about 3 seconds and I've learned to push beyond the crest for those few seconds before I feel the resistance drop.

As to watts dropping to zero on a gear change, I've never experienced that.

It's probably good practice to push beyond the crest of hills - maybe not a bad thing :-)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The Hammer is very nice. One of my favorites actually and I've been on all kind of trainers :)

As for the delay in Zwift, this is normal with any smart trainer. Zwift sends gradient signals every second. So expect to see few seconds delay until you start feeling it on the trainer. My understanding is Zwift is trying to correct this issue by either sending the gradient changes more often or sending it early. Either way, Zwift need to find away to resolve this for things like the wahoo climb to work right.

Also, connection and servers can impact how fast you feel these changes. For example, I have a NEO with road feel enabled. Sometimes I feel changes in road almost instantly and sometimes I feel it 3-5 seconds late.

As for accuracy, it's fairly decent and very comparable to Wahoo. You do need to calibrate it every so often, where calibration isn't needed for the Elite Drivo.

With Zwift on Apple TV, I am noticing myself relying more on my trainer's power accuracy more than my powermeter because my powermeter is only ant+. So it's always nice to know you can rely on your trainer's power when you don't want to use your powermeter. Just few things to think about.

SmartBikeTrainers.com || YouTube || My Twitter
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
As others have said, there are enough documented problems with Neo and kickr users and zwift dropouts, so I wouldn't be unduly worried about that.

I don't use zwift so its a non issue here, but not had any dropouts connected via BT or Ant+, or both at the same time.

As for accuracy, compared to other powermeters, i'm finding it more than acceptable, PROVIDED i'm very careful with the spindown calibration. See attachment for comparison with p2max run concurrent. Slight time line adjustment due to autopause on TR, and not on my garmin.

It's very easy to shoot over the top limit so to speak when its saying keep pedalling and your speed is increasing, but the resistance is reducing. You have to keep a tight rein on it.
It seems worse in trainerroad if I do spindown from there. I've had it reading 40w over and its taken multiple calibrations over 30-40 minutes before it gives sensible data.
If I use TR on my laptop but calibrate from rouvy on my phone, then it seems much happier.
(Currently liaising with the good folks at TR and doing some tests to see why this has been happening).

When its working bob on, its a great piece of kit, and boy is it solid!
Last edited by: philg: Dec 17, 17 14:02
Quote Reply
Re: Another Smart Trainer Question - Mostly Cycleops Hammer [philg] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
philg wrote:
As others have said, there are enough documented problems with Neo and kickr users and zwift dropouts, so I wouldn't be unduly worried about that.

I don't use zwift so its a non issue here, but not had any dropouts connected via BT or Ant+, or both at the same time.

As for accuracy, compared to other powermeters, i'm finding it more than acceptable, PROVIDED i'm very careful with the spindown calibration. See attachment for comparison with p2max run concurrent. Slight time line adjustment due to autopause on TR, and not on my garmin.

It's very easy to shoot over the top limit so to speak when its saying keep pedalling and your speed is increasing, but the resistance is reducing. You have to keep a tight rein on it.
It seems worse in trainerroad if I do spindown from there. I've had it reading 40w over and its taken multiple calibrations over 30-40 minutes before it gives sensible data.
If I use TR on my laptop but calibrate from rouvy on my phone, then it seems much happier.
(Currently liaising with the good folks at TR and doing some tests to see why this has been happening).

Thanks for the information on the persnickety calibration protocol.

Michael
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
wacomme wrote:
philg wrote:

Thanks for the information on the persnickety calibration protocol.

Michael

Hey all!

TrainerRoad actually does not support calibration for the Hammer or the Magnus at this time. You will want to calibrate in the CylcleOps App for now :) We are working with CycleOps to get the calibration up and running but we do not have an ETA at this time.

Cheers!

Get Faster with TrainerRoad
Quote Reply