Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Interesting Op-Ed Piece [Sanuk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Sanuk wrote:
He give zero fucks, and that (to me) is endearing.

I think you completely misread Trump. He is narcissistic and watches T.V 6 hours a day to see how the media portrays him to the public. That is the complete opposite of someone who gives zero fucks.

I've never seen anyone who cares more about how the public sees him and he does everything to be seen in a positive light.

Yeah, I guess that really isn’t what I meant (I’m blaming dehydration due to 5 days of shooting water out of my ass).

You’re right, he cares a lot. I guess what I find (somewhat) “endearing” is the fact that he gives it right back.

W. was called the devil and worse during his Presidency and he never ever once fought back. That was admirable but in the end it made him appear weak.

It’s really difficult to convey what I’m trying to say without sounding like a Trump fanboi. I said earlier that Trump is “wrong guy” to be holding the position he holds. I’m not specifically referring to the Presidency, I’m talking the position of Person-Who-Finally-Goes-In-And-Lops-Off-The-Heads-Of-The-Arrogant-Power-Elite.

He’s almost the right guy yet at the same time he’s so so far from it.

I’ve never held politicians or the press in high regard and I just find it really annoying when people suck up to them and oooo and awwwwww over them. Really what it is is that I never place people above or below me and I get annoyed by those who do. It’s why when I hear about “wealthy 1%ers” in a way that’s supposed to make me mad I’m more disgusted with the guy trying to stir me up. Maybe it’s because I grew up middle class in place that is filled with insanely wealthy people. Being surrounded by astounding wealth while not being wealthy yourself will either eat you alive from the inside out or, like me, make you realize that wealthy people are just people.

I have friends that are landscapers ands I have friends that wealth managers and I have friends that will never work a day in lives.

Not sure where I’m going here...

Civilize the mind, but make savage the body.

- Chinese proverb
Quote Reply
Re: Interesting Op-Ed Piece [spookini] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
spookini wrote:
Duffy wrote:
Well, I’m thinking of a guy like Mark Cuban... Cuban is just so much smarter sounding.
He's so much smarter-sounding bc he's so much smarter. Trump is a guy who brags about his IQ and best words, then talks 'diversary lottery' and says betcha' didn't know Abe Lincoln was a Republican.

I rarely make claims about other people’s intelligence. I know a guy who can barely speak and barely take car of his own hygiene and could never get his driver license but he’s invented so many things that I use almost daily I can’t even count.

I also work some highly educated, well spoken, complete fucking retards.

And, BTW, Trump isn’t dumb. Dumb people don’t play the game he played to get elected president.

And yes, I believe Mark Cuban is much smarter than Trump.

Civilize the mind, but make savage the body.

- Chinese proverb
Quote Reply
Re: Interesting Op-Ed Piece [windywave] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Conservatives have grouched about liberal bias in the press for decades. Talk radio piled on and used the grousing to attract conservative listeners. For twenty years Fox News used the accusation to build its brand. The more it complained about the other media, the more it could draw conservative viewers away from other news sources. It was all pretty cynical. It was also mostly bullshit. Yeah, the mainstream media leaned a bit left, but it was never remotely as bad as conservatives claimed. Heck, conservatives even bitched about PBS, which is about as even-handed as you can realistically get.

Over the years a funny thing happened. As conservatives abandoned other news sources for Fox News and other outlets blatantly biased for Republicans, the MSM was left with an increasingly liberal audience. They naturally catered to that audience. With progressive vloggers, Youtubers, and web sites threatening threatening to steal views away, the MSM moved ever further left. Then along came Trump. We probably would have ended up in the same place anyway but with Trump Derangement Syndrome running wild, the change was instant instead of gradual. During the election, journalism stalwarts like the Washington Post made a conscious decision to abandon any pretext of objectivity. To a lesser degree the New York Times did the same. After the election it has gotten worse. The cable news networks have seen there is big money in essentially becoming a propaganda arm of the Democratic Party. Basically they followed the same business plan Fox News was founded with, and in the process they have become everything conservatives accused them of being in the first place.

Trump will end up marking the end of the idea of objective news or at least the goal of it even if it cannot be reached. The era when the news media tried to broadcast a common story is over. From now on it will have a hard time even agreeing on a common set of facts. With a political system that can only support two parties this cannot end well. It is not like other countries where people can find one of half a dozen parties that fit their views.
Quote Reply
Re: Interesting Op-Ed Piece [Arch Stanton] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
And, ironically, when we are back to a Democrat in the Oval Office this plays right into Fox and the right leaning media. They’ll grow stronger when Trump is gone.
Quote Reply

Prev Next