Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

USMC is Testing a Fully Autonomous Huey Helicopter
Quote | Reply
Flew around on plenty of Hueys (UH-1N quite a bit) back in the day. I don't know how jazzed I'd be to be in the troop compartment and not see the two rotorheads up front driving the thing, though. ;-)

Still, not bad for a platform that first flew way back in 1956.

"The tests, which took place in late November, involved a hardware and software kit known as Autonomous Aerial Cargo/Utility System (AACUS) which includes both hardware and software and can be installed on any rotary wing aircraft. The Marines currently fly three different helicopters: the CH-53E Super Stallion heavy transport helicopter, the AH-1Z Cobra attack helicopter, and the UH-1Y utility/light attack helicopter.

The hardware side of the AACUS kit involves a LiDAR sensor for ranging and ground mapping, and cameras for obstacle avoidance and route planning. According to USNI News, the hardware used were commercial, off-the-rack components easily sourced in the civilian market. The software, including flight algorithms, was developed by Aurora.

The autonomous tests consisted of three simulated missions, in which the unmanned UH-1H “Huey,” given guidance by Marine infantrymen with just “mere hours” of instruction by Aurora engineers, flew supplies to a remote outpost. The Marines interacted with the Huey via a tablet and laptop computer."

The Marine Corps Is Testing a Fully Autonomous Huey Helicopter.

"Politics is just show business for ugly people."
Quote Reply
Re: USMC is Testing a Fully Autonomous Huey Helicopter [big kahuna] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
But does it play Wagner?

"I think I've cracked the code. double letters are cheaters except for perfect squares (a, d, i, p and y). So Leddy isn't a cheater... "
Quote Reply
Re: USMC is Testing a Fully Autonomous Huey Helicopter [Leddy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Leddy wrote:
But does it play Wagner?

Hahahahahaha!

CHARLIE DON'T SURF!! ;-)

Quote Reply
Re: USMC is Testing a Fully Autonomous Huey Helicopter [big kahuna] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Eh, we have been testing fully autonomous aircraft and helicopters for decades. In many ways they are much easier than cars.
Quote Reply
Re: USMC is Testing a Fully Autonomous Huey Helicopter [torrey] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
torrey wrote:
Eh, we have been testing fully autonomous aircraft and helicopters for decades. In many ways they are much easier than cars.

Sweet. Here, let me give you my combat pack (Army calls it "battle rattle") and rifle and YOU go fly around in bad guy country on one of 'em. ;-)

Quote Reply