Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Has anyone had a chondral fissure?
Quote | Reply
Good news/bad news from the orthopedist yesterday. Good: Not a meniscus tear. Bad: "Patellofemoral joint: Abnormality of lateral patellar facet. There is moderate subarticular marrow edema in inferolateral patella. There is probably a small overlying deep chondral fissure or defect."

I've never even heard of chrondral fissure before yesterday. Has this happened to anyone else? What did you do that helped recovery and prevention of further issues? I start PT soon, but since cartilage doesn't regrow if PT doesn't help I'm looking at chicken cartilage injections. I didn't know this was a thing!

Running is still out but I can do anything that doesn't pound my knees, bend them past 90 degrees, or cause pain. Sadly I am good to swim (haha). I haven't run in about 6 weeks, have had pain for about 2 months, have done very little activity in the meantime.

Here is an image from my MRI.

Thank you in advance.

http://mediocremultisport.blogspot.com
Quote Reply
Re: Has anyone had a chondral fissure? [Midtown Miles] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Radiologist , occasional triathlete here.
Single axial image provided shows mild bone subchondral edema in the lateral patellar facet and some signal increase in adjacent articular cartilage with no fissure on this view. Rather minor findings at the time of doing the MRI.
I suspect mild lateral patellar subluxation ( fairly common).
1.Recommend consulting a sports physiotherapist for assessment/ possible strengthening exercises , typically for the quads. Or try Dr. Google. Proper patellar tracking is key.
2.Water running is highly suggested for the next month .
3.Avoid any exercise that causes pain.
4.Don't do the "chicken cartilage" shots. Not needed at this point. One batch of Synvisc-One currently under recall for " microbial contamination "! And hyaluronic acid injections often don't work.
Quote Reply
Re: Has anyone had a chondral fissure? [Midtown Miles] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
How old are you? Cracks and fissures in our cartilage are quite normal as we age. I wouldn't put much stock in imaging if you didn't actually have any trauma. Odds are your MRI looked exactly the same before you had any pain. Go see a PT, reduce the workout frequency and intensity and mind your pain levels.

By the way, are you having pain behind your kneecap?
Quote Reply
Re: Has anyone had a chondral fissure? [rosegarden] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I only know about half those words, but I will Google them (haha). Definitely starting PT soon and the doc mentioned proper patellar tracking as the main goal. Hopefully I’m a ways away from chicken cartilage. Thanks for your thoughts.

Quote Reply
Re: Has anyone had a chondral fissure? [AndrewL] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I’m 38. I was feeling pain everywhere in my knee - at the front, within the joint, behind the joint, etc. depending on the day. It came on suddenly during a run so I took two weeks off running, it seemed better, and then out of nowhere I couldn’t bear any weight on my knee. It has been painful off and on since.

Quote Reply