Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Brownlee rule and Duffy rule
Quote | Reply
New clarification added to ITU's outside assistance rule which expressly prohibits a repeat of Cozumel GF.

Also added was a provision for an international mixed relay team, at select events and at the ITU's discretion. I am unaware of any precedent for a coalition Olympic team like this however.

Also removed the prime (or preme) although I can't recall the last one I saw in an ITU race.
Quote Reply
Re: Brownlee rule and Duffy rule [Dumples] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Can you post a link to an announcement of this?
Quote Reply
Re: Brownlee rule and Duffy rule [jaretj] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
This will make so got nuts

disk brakes will be allowed in 2018

Dave Campbell | Facebook | @DaveECampbell | h2ofun@h2ofun.net

Boom Nutrition code 19F4Y3 $5 off 24 pack box | Bionic Runner | PowerCranks | Velotron | Spruzzamist

Lions don't lose sleep worrying about the sheep
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The Brownlee rule is obvious. Which one is the Duffy rule?

Pink? Maybe. Maybe not. You decide.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
There's also a Wiltshire rule. 4.11(e)
Quote Reply
Re: Brownlee rule and Duffy rule [japarker24] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
japarker24 wrote:
The Brownlee rule is obvious. Which one is the Duffy rule?

I'm guessing the provision for the international mixed relay.

Swimming Workout of the Day:

Favourite Swim Sets:

2020 National Masters Champion - M50-54 - 50m Butterfly
Quote Reply
Re: Brownlee rule and Duffy rule [JasoninHalifax] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
with disc brakes allowed, will USAT allow in AG draft legal?

USAT Level II- Ironman U Certified Coach
Quote Reply
Re: Brownlee rule and Duffy rule [Im-a-miler] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
most likely yes

Brooks Doughtie, M.S.
Exercise Physiology
-USAT Level II
Quote Reply
Re: Brownlee rule and Duffy rule [JasoninHalifax] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yeah that's what I meant by Duffy rule. ITU's biggest star is on the verge of being left on the sideline for ITU's new baby. So I expect to see her in at least 1 of the 3 relays this summer. I'll guess Hamburg since it is the biggest one.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Dumples wrote:
Yeah that's what I meant by Duffy rule. ITU's biggest star is on the verge of being left on the sideline for ITU's new baby. So I expect to see her in at least 1 of the 3 relays this summer. I'll guess Hamburg since it is the biggest one.

I have yet to actually find the "Duffy rule". Can you give me a clue and save my going thru all 157 pages??? What does the rule say in summary??? How are they going to decide which country gets the very fast Ms. Duffy???

"Anyone can be who they want to be IF they have the HUNGER and the DRIVE."
Quote Reply
Re: Brownlee rule and Duffy rule [ericmulk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The rule is they will allow mixed nation teams at select events. I am assuming this would be for countries who do not have enough athletes competing in itu to make up a team, not just a country to leave out one of their own in favour of a faster international. If not I have an issue with this, I would hate to think Spain or France or other nations who have a weaker one side, would be allowed to top up by adding a stronger athlete to the mix. This hopefully will only be for individual athletes with NO other countrymen who race at any ITU level, and will not be available at least for World Champ and Olympic races.
Last edited by: chrisb12: Dec 14, 17 20:13
Quote Reply
Re: Brownlee rule and Duffy rule [chrisb12] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
chrisb12 wrote:
The rule is they will allow mixed nation teams at select events. I am assuming this would be for countries who do not have enough athletes competing in itu to make up a team, not just a country to leave out one of their own in favour of a faster international. If not I have an issue with this, I would hate to think Spain or France or other nations who have a weaker one side, would be allowed to top up by adding a stronger athlete to the mix. This hopefully will only be for individual athletes with NO other countrymen who race at any ITU level, and will not be available at least for World Champ and Olympic races.

Ah, great, thanks!!! And where in the 157 pgs did you find this???

Quote Reply
Re: Brownlee rule and Duffy rule [ericmulk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
section 16
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I want to see Duffy, Blummenfelt, Frintova, Schilling maybe. That's a good mix. Would have been the Norden rule 4 years ago, so maybe she will still be around. But really I'm not a fan of everything being aligned by national flag anyway. The more international camaraderie the better.
Quote Reply
Re: Brownlee rule and Duffy rule [logella] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
logella wrote:
There's also a Wiltshire rule. 4.11(e)

This one came out halfway through the year last year (started to be enforced in Elite races starting in June). If you don't get the link, a quick google search on Harry Wiltshire and Javier Gomez should make this crystal clear... The rule was slightly adjusted this year though, to more clearly exclude incidental contact.

Not sure about how they apply in the US, since USAT's rules have always been a bit different from everyone else, but other highlights from the update include:
- Disc brakes legal for all competitions (as mentioned above, sharpen up your spinning knives, and cut up the draft legal fields...)
- Swim skins for middle and long distance events no longer have to meet ITU uniform rules (but logos have to be within the sizing guidelines in the ITU wetsuit rules), which should be a big win for those doing ITU long distance champs... (maybe not an issue for Denmark, since I can't see that being non-wetsuit, but for Pontevedra in 2019...)
- The rules around sleeved tri suits has been sort of clarified (but hasn't changed, only legal for middle and long distance events, where wetsuits are legal... still illegal for non-wetsuit swims)
- Exposed midriffs are now legal in middle and long distance events (less worry about your two-piece top riding up and getting a penalty, and they won't have to DQ half of the Kona women's elite field for running in their sports bras... Seeing as Ironman and ITU are supposed to be enforcing a harmonized set of rules for next season)... I'll chalk this one up to Ironman's influence on the process, because otherwise, I wouldn't have forseen the ITU going this route...
- Smart helmets were made illegal (they were never explicitly legal... but they are now explicitly illegal), which is basically a continuation of the headphones rule...
- The modifications to the portable electronic devices rules basically re-instate the ban on them (you can carry your phone but you can't actually use it...), rules expanded to smart watches...
- Middle distance (i.e. HIM type distances) have gotten their own penalty scale (drafting is still the same as long distance, but yellow card offenses (everything except for drafting) will be shorter penalties than for LD (30sec vs. 60sec)
- Some changes to protest and appeal processes (can't protest drafting calls, can choose not to serve a time penalty for anything else and protest after the event (but the risk being that if you lose, and didn't serve the time penalty, it's a DQ... so it becomes a tactical decision, serve the penalty, get a lower placing, but a guaranteed result, or risk no result by protesting the penalty and go for a higher placed finish... This is where having a coach/team manager with a strong knowledge of the rules/system will be critical, to advise their athletes under what circumstances taking the risk might be worthwhile...)

In terms of the "Duffy rule"... I have to chuckle at this, there's no way this affects the Olympics... There will not be composite teams in the OG (no matter who's country can't field a team). What this does do, now that there's the MTR series, is allow the use of composite teams to help fill out the field at some of the events. Hamburg will never have an issue of having small fields, but with some of the other events, if countries don't send a full compliment of racers to the paired WTS event, there may be variable field sizes, so this gives some flexibility to make for better viewing with deeper and more competitive racing, and to give some of the athletes from nations with less depth a chance to dip their feet in the MTR and hone their skills (while they wait for other talent to develop to potentially field an MTR team down the road...). It's also worth noting that while Bermuda is unlikely to be able to field an MTR team for Duffy, Norway is not out of the question, on top of Blummenfelt, they have that young kid who featured in the lead packs of a few races late in the season providing a solid second male racer, and a few women starting to put up some decent performances on the Continental/World Cup circuits, that might be able to make the jump to top 20-30 results on the WTS by 2019...
Last edited by: Trauma: Dec 15, 17 7:28
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
chrisb12 wrote:
section 16

Great, thanks very much. My computer was sticking and I could not see below Section 12 on the first page of the contents. :)

Quote Reply
Re: Brownlee rule and Duffy rule [Trauma] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The way I read the smart helmet rule was that bone conduction "speakers" would be allowed, provided they didn't cover the ears. But they would be completely useless since 2.1.xiv (the smart device rule) effectively prohibits use of any smart features. So you might be able to wear the helment but just keep it turned off. (not that i think anyone should ever buy a "smart" helmet)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'll re-read the rules this weekend and make a more thorough analysis of them. But yeah, I suppose you could wear a smart capable helmet as a "dumb?" helmet... The whole bone conduction thing is a bit of a connundrum... It's still a distraction, so technically prohibited under the revised portable electronic device rule... but it doesn't block out the sounds around you, the way that traditional headphones due... It'll be interesting to see how the rules around them will evolve over the next few years as I suspect more of these types of helmets come to market...

The other change to the rules for those racing Draft Legal is there is now explicitly a rule against drafting off of people on a different lap. It's a non issue in most elite races because of the lap out rule, but on a shorter circuit for an AG DL race, it could be a factor (I'll fully admit that in my first DL Du race (4lap race), I linked up with a guy who was a lap up on me from the first run, and we rode together and worked really well up until he pulled off to head to T2, and I had to solo my last loop)... For the elites, they made it more explicit on the run, that people a lap down can't jump into a pack of runners and pace/pace off of them, which fits with the spirit of the revised Brownlee rule...
Quote Reply
Re: Brownlee rule and Duffy rule [Trauma] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The lap rules lie all within the RD and race itself for AG racing. Essentially they are going to become 1 lap events because of time constraints. I have to look into more detail at like Duathlon world's but at the last 2 ITU AG worlds for tri, the course has been 1 loop. Which sucks for spectators, but allows for waves to go 5 or 10 mins apart (much easier and faster).

So my guess is that it likely is more for duathlon.....But I'll say this, if they put athletes on a 3 or 4 lap course and send them off in waves 5-10 mins apart, that's not going to be fair to then say who you can and can't draft with. Because at that point, your going to need different bibs to distinguish, because what if you ride up into a group, is that group on your lap, or is it not?

Brooks Doughtie, M.S.
Exercise Physiology
-USAT Level II
Last edited by: B_Doughtie: Dec 15, 17 13:24
Quote Reply
Re: Brownlee rule and Duffy rule [B_Doughtie] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
AG draft legal is the bush league, or really not even bush league. On the other hand...I think single lap draft legal courses is the way to go for a variety of reasons.
Quote Reply
Re: Brownlee rule and Duffy rule [B_Doughtie] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
AG worlds in Penticton for Sprint Du was a two lap route (not to mention there was little benefit to drafting for most of the course, since you were either climbing or descending the whole way, except for a couple of km for this little our and back on each loop, where you could get a good pack going before things blew up on the next climb...). They ran all mens waves at 3min intervals, and then started the women 30-40min later (to minimize risk of the genders mixing for drafting)...

As someone who races DL and who is an official, I agree with your assessment that it could be problematic for both racers and officials to police drafting on different laps in AG racing... and I don;t know if color coded bibs will help either, since the rules changed again making bibs optional again on the bike...
Quote Reply