Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Stem
Quote | Reply
I just recently purchased my daughter a new road bike. It came with 90 mm stem. She needs a much shorter one. Thinking about going with a 50 or 60.Will that work or could I have problems?
Quote Reply
Re: Stem [sidlulu] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Impossible to answer with the information provided. There's nothing inherently wrong with a 50 or 60mm stem, but bike geometry and bike fit involves multiple inter-dependent dimensions, so much more information would be needed to guide a fit. I'd suggest taking her to a bike fitter.
Quote Reply
Re: Stem [trail] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yes thanks. Just not sure if there would be any handling problems if I went with a shorter stem.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
sidlulu wrote:
Yes thanks. Just not sure if there would be any handling problems if I went with a shorter stem.

If there are handlebars connected to the stem, going even to a 2cm long stem should not cause any problems other than the force needed to turn the bars might increase by maybe 1-5%, maybe even less.

Go with the best stem length for her fit.

Advanced Aero TopTube Storage for Road, Gravel, & Tri...ZeroSlip & Direct-mount, made in the USA.
DarkSpeedWorks.com.....Reviews.....Insta.....Facebook

--
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Going to an extremely short stem, especially something close to the MTB length, will certainly make handling a little more twitchy; it may not be a bad thing for the youth though, they can learn how to handle the bike properly.

Another way to go, depending on the handlebar already on it, is to find the shortest reach handlebar. I think Zipp has the SL70 that has only 70mm reach. You may be able to combine a short reach handlebar with a shorter, but not extreme short, stem to get where she needs to be, and not dramatically change the handling characteristics of the bike.
Quote Reply
Re: Stem [dalava] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
dalava wrote:
Going to an extremely short stem, especially something close to the MTB length, will certainly make handling a little more twitchy; it may not be a bad thing for the youth though, they can learn how to handle the bike properly.

Another way to go, depending on the handlebar already on it, is to find the shortest reach handlebar. I think Zipp has the SL70 that has only 70mm reach. You may be able to combine a short reach handlebar with a shorter, but not extreme short, stem to get where she needs to be, and not dramatically change the handling characteristics of the bike.

Hand position--and the effective lever--is all that matters, whether you get there with normal handlebars and a very short stem or a slightly longer stem and short reach handlebars cannot logically affect handling.
Quote Reply
Re: Stem [niccolo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks for all the help.
Quote Reply
Re: Stem [niccolo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
niccolo wrote:
dalava wrote:

Hand position--and the effective lever--is all that matters, whether you get there with normal handlebars and a very short stem or a slightly longer stem and short reach handlebars cannot logically affect handling.

I should clarify--a shorter effective lever can absolutely affect handling. I was just stating that the length of the effective lever is what affects handling, what contribution the stem vs. the handlebars make to the effective lever is irrelevant, so for a given effective lever, there's no trick involved in shortening via handlebars instead of stem. It's worth pointing out that this also means that an incremental reduction in stem length is less significant than it seems, because the reduction's impact comes as a fraction of the length of the stem + the additional length offered by the handlebars.
Quote Reply