Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Andy Potts Racing / Coaching
Quote | Reply
Hi - does anyone have any experience with the Andy Potts coaching programs? Its something i am considering for this year and would like to see if there is any feedback before making a commitment to it.

Thanks in advance.
Quote Reply
Re: Andy Potts Racing / Coaching [Gskalt] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Send a PM to Forum member Gee. She hired Andy Potts for the 2017 year and can give you her opinion. From what I remember at the Womens Camp, she thought highly of him at that time (April 2017).

DFL > DNF > DNS
Quote Reply
Re: Andy Potts Racing / Coaching [SallyShortyPnts] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
SallyShortyPnts wrote:
Send a PM to Forum member Gee. She hired Andy Potts for the 2017 year and can give you her opinion. From what I remember at the Womens Camp, she thought highly of him at that time (April 2017).

Haha, yes, Sally has outed me! I started swimming with Andy in summer 2015 (as part of a Race Club clinic for triathletes) and joined APRacing at its start. Without question, one of the best things I've done in my MOP triathlon career (another of course is my bike fit, which you can read about in the ST archives).

Next week I have a date with Slowman to swim and to talk about how working with the APRacing coaching staff has transformed my swim stroke; maybe we can post up some video and/or commentary. But APRacing is not just about swimming better; they're really good at instructing and at planning all aspects of triathlon. We are better swimmers, cyclists, runners, and just overall better people -- and we were all pretty awesome people to begin with. :)
Quote Reply
Re: Andy Potts Racing / Coaching [Gee] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Wow, you were already a superior swimmer before APR. Seriously impressed.

Sharon McN
@IronCharo
#TeamZoot
Clif Bar Pace Team 2003-2018
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Care to share your swim time improvement times? :)
Quote Reply
Re: Andy Potts Racing / Coaching [ErickBar] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ErickBar wrote:

I don't have ST-approved data because I didn't do any controlled testing prior to one-on-one technique instruction with Andy and GH,S. For reference, though, at that point I had 3 sub-1:10 Ironman swims and swam in the 1:50LCM masters lane; I think my best-ever one-hour postal swim was a bit over 1:40 scy pace. I am female, over 50, five feet tall, fingertips well above the knee (informal swimmer measure of wingspan ratio). Not AOS.

That said, in the first year of the AP training plan, we did do some testing, and I dropped 26 seconds (total) for "800y fastest sustainable speed" and about 3s/100 off my 3x300y test sets.

I have done no testing at all in the second year, and I've had a lot more one-on-one work with Andy and his coaches so I feel better, I can tell from photos and video that I look better, and I no longer have random men at the pool offering their advice. One of the "rules" is no watches in the pool, so I can't even report generalities. However, they are reading this, I am sure, so if "test set" shows up on my schedule in the next few weeks, I can report more info.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Gee wrote:
ErickBar wrote:

I don't have ST-approved data because I didn't do any controlled testing prior to one-on-one technique instruction with Andy and GH,S. For reference, though, at that point I had 3 sub-1:10 Ironman swims and swam in the 1:50LCM masters lane; I think my best-ever one-hour postal swim was a bit over 1:40 scy pace. I am female, over 50, five feet tall, fingertips well above the knee (informal swimmer measure of wingspan ratio). Not AOS.

That said, in the first year of the AP training plan, we did do some testing, and I dropped 26 seconds (total) for "800y fastest sustainable speed" and about 3s/100 off my 3x300y test sets.

I have done no testing at all in the second year, and I've had a lot more one-on-one work with Andy and his coaches so I feel better, I can tell from photos and video that I look better, and I no longer have random men at the pool offering their advice. One of the "rules" is no watches in the pool, so I can't even report generalities. However, they are reading this, I am sure, so if "test set" shows up on my schedule in the next few weeks, I can report more info.

So about :03/100 yards in a year?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Nice improvements!

Why no watches in the pool?

Sharon McN
@IronCharo
#TeamZoot
Clif Bar Pace Team 2003-2018
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Gskalt wrote:
Hi - does anyone have any experience with the Andy Potts coaching programs? Its something i am considering for this year and would like to see if there is any feedback before making a commitment to it.

Thanks in advance.

One thing to consider in celebrity coaching is are you really getting the same value. If you want a name so you can talk about it, go with Andy Potts, but there are arguably coaches that are far more affordable who IMHO will do a better job of coaching, a better job of understanding your goals, and better job of understanding you.

Personally I try to steer people away from celebrity coaches for a variety of reasons, but mainly because I think world class athletes rarely make great coaches, not because they aren't capable of coaching, it is just that their eyes and efforts are devoted to other things, like their own swim, bike, and running. It is vary hard for anyone to work on their self athletically and run a coaching business and most world class athletes understand this. Often times these athlete also have a hard time relating with their clients as they don't understand what it is like to race Ironman as an age-grouper.

Playing devil's advocated, why would you consider Andy Potts as opposed to a local coach which may be able to show you more attention and possibly see you in person?

Save: $50 on Speed Hound Recovery Boots | $20 on Air Relax| $100 on Normatec| 15% on Most Absorbable Magnesium

Blogs: Best CHEAP Zwift / Bike Trainer Desk | Theragun G3 vs $140 Bivi Percussive Massager | Normatec Pulse 2.0 vs Normatec Pulse | Speed Hound vs Normatec | Air Relax vs Normatec | Q1 2018 Blood Test Results | | Why HED JET+ Is The BEST value wheelset
Quote Reply
Re: Andy Potts Racing / Coaching [Thomas Gerlach] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks for the response. Actually had nothing to do with the celeb name. A friend referred me to the program. I’m lookong for less of a hands on approach as I don’t need someone yelling in my ear or giving me daily feedback. I’m not competing to win an age group, I’m looking to enjoy the challenge and beat my last time. I just need somebody to create a plan and give me the workouts, I’ll get them done, occasional feedback or adjustments... I don’t have the funds for 1:1 coaching with the full service. Especially where I live, everything is so damn expensive! I could succeed with the Be Iron Fit plan but need some guidance on flexing time and days or weeks when I’m traveling.

Agree that just because he’s a world class triathlete doesn’t mean he’d be a great coach, which is why I’m soliciting feedback and experiences. Look, there was never a greater hockey player than Wayne Gretzky and he wasn’t a very good coach! He couldn’t relate to the guys as they didn’t have his natural talent

I do appreciate the input. Definitely worth the consideration. But $400 for a customized plan with some guidance along the way is fine by me. Again. Could be Andy Potts or Andy Rooney. As long as it works!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Gskalt wrote:
Thanks for the response. Actually had nothing to do with the celeb name. A friend referred me to the program. I’m lookong for less of a hands on approach as I don’t need someone yelling in my ear or giving me daily feedback. I’m not competing to win an age group, I’m looking to enjoy the challenge and beat my last time. I just need somebody to create a plan and give me the workouts, I’ll get them done, occasional feedback or adjustments... I don’t have the funds for 1:1 coaching with the full service. Especially where I live, everything is so damn expensive! I could succeed with the Be Iron Fit plan but need some guidance on flexing time and days or weeks when I’m traveling.

Agree that just because he’s a world class triathlete doesn’t mean he’d be a great coach, which is why I’m soliciting feedback and experiences. Look, there was never a greater hockey player than Wayne Gretzky and he wasn’t a very good coach! He couldn’t relate to the guys as they didn’t have his natural talent

I do appreciate the input. Definitely worth the consideration. But $400 for a customized plan with some guidance along the way is fine by me. Again. Could be Andy Potts or Andy Rooney. As long as it works!

Ok sure I understand It will be interesting to hear your feedback at the end if you do go with it and how much guidance you got for that. There are a lot of training plans out there to follow that are little to know charge if you want to go that route. The real thing about coaching is accountability. That is one of the biggest reasons to have a coach for some, for others it is to hold them back from doing too much.

You can always pick up a free plan and use the ST forumn for guidance as well.

Save: $50 on Speed Hound Recovery Boots | $20 on Air Relax| $100 on Normatec| 15% on Most Absorbable Magnesium

Blogs: Best CHEAP Zwift / Bike Trainer Desk | Theragun G3 vs $140 Bivi Percussive Massager | Normatec Pulse 2.0 vs Normatec Pulse | Speed Hound vs Normatec | Air Relax vs Normatec | Q1 2018 Blood Test Results | | Why HED JET+ Is The BEST value wheelset
Quote Reply
Re: Andy Potts Racing / Coaching [SharonMcN] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
SharonMcN wrote:
Nice improvements!

Why no watches in the pool?

Thanks! Come swim with me any time; you know where to find me.

I have improved enough to have won an open-water race in Oceanside last year, 11 women in our AG on a day that was so rough they almost canceled and 15% of the field chose not to start. I am also up about 2 minutes against my typical competition at the Pier-to-Pier. But being a faster swimmer is not one of my main goals, and I am slowing down in general with arthritis, hallux limitus, and depleted iron and estrogen, so any improvements in swimming are amplified for me.

For you or anyone else here, I am more than happy to talk to you about what Andy is like as a coach, which goes well beyond just writing a solid training plan. I can also speak about the AP coaching team, including what it's like to swim with HIS coaches (Mike and Todd) offering individualized instruction on deck. Although I was only a mid-range high-school swimmer (75 lbs and 4'10"), I have had a LOT of excellent swim and tri coaches since I was 11 years old, including in my adult years our masters coach Chad -- who has won the the USMS coach of the year award three times, the incredibly excellent Ian Murray/ianpeace, and Gary Hall, Sr. (anyone on ST not knowing his credentials hasn't been here as long as I have; search the forums and have a good laugh), so I think I have a good basis of comparison.

G
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If I go that route I’ll be very happy to share my feedback. I know there are cheap or free plans. I was planning on the Be Iron Fit plan for my first IM and engaged a coach for cheap. He’s no longer coaching due to conflict of interest with his new job so that’s out.

I like having somebody that will respond to how to flex the program when changes arise. I’m not sure asking Slowtwitch as a whole is good for those questions. Nobody will know me, what will work well, etc. to me, I’m paying for some accountability for a coach to help keep me interested track if there are curveballs that life throws. Also, I find that some of the canned plans are just that, generic. Each race has different challenges right? I’ll be doing some climbing at Mont Tremblant, would a canned plan work the same for somebody with different challenges of constant efforts and heat like Florida? Does each plan work the same for me as it would for anyone else purchasing the plan?

I do know a coach locally that I know (but can’t afford) for some one off swimming form work if need be, but not something.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I think there are some VERY good online plans that are reasonable and not the cost or the "one on one" that expensive plans have. I have used a few and most were exceptional for me as long as I followed the plan. One has to be accountable to themselves at some point, which is why many opt for the hands on and more involved (and expensive) plans and coaches. If you are a person that "buys in" to a plan and follows the suggested workouts without hand holding, there are some really good options. As I said, I have had some incredible coaching for a very fair price; but I was taking responsibility of getting the work done and not being "micro managed". If you need the hand holding and constant attention, then I think the personal coach is the way to go, but you pay for it.

Gary Geiger
http://www.geigerphoto.com Professional photographer

TEAM KiWAMi NORTH AMERICA http://www.kiwamitri.com, Rudy Project http://www.rudyprojectusa.com, GU https://guenergy.com/shop/ ; Salming World Ambassador; https://www.shopsalming.com
Quote Reply
Re: Andy Potts Racing / Coaching [ggeiger] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ggeiger wrote:
I think there are some VERY good online plans that are reasonable and not the cost or the "one on one" that expensive plans have. I have used a few and most were exceptional for me as long as I followed the plan. One has to be accountable to themselves at some point, which is why many opt for the hands on and more involved (and expensive) plans and coaches. If you are a person that "buys in" to a plan and follows the suggested workouts without hand holding, there are some really good options. As I said, I have had some incredible coaching for a very fair price; but I was taking responsibility of getting the work done and not being "micro managed". If you need the hand holding and constant attention, then I think the personal coach is the way to go, but you pay for it.

That’s just it. This isn’t $150-$200 a month, it’s $400 for the year. So I’m viewing it as a personalized plan with somebody to answer questions. I don’t want handholding, between my Home and work life, I have enough people micromanaging things. Just give the workouts, tell me what the objective is and answer when I need to move things around and I’m good!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thomas Gerlach wrote:
Gskalt wrote:

Ok sure I understand It will be interesting to hear your feedback at the end if you do go with it and how much guidance you got for that. There are a lot of training plans out there to follow that are little to know charge if you want to go that route. The real thing about coaching is accountability. That is one of the biggest reasons to have a coach for some, for others it is to hold them back from doing too much.

You can always pick up a free plan and use the ST forumn for guidance as well.

FYI I just signed up for the customized plan. Had some interactions with Andy about scheduling and he addressed a few concerns. One being how he would give me special workouts for day off and after hockey games (my league runs for a few more months). I can give maximum times that I can train for things, such as running while I’m at work. All factored in. With so many moving parts in life i need that. Plus the coaching staff monitors the Facebook forum page. So there will be resources

Will touch base throughout as I experience it
Quote Reply