Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Anyone here buy a new car through the Costco auto program?
Quote | Reply
I have read some good reviews on the process just wondering if anyone here had first hand experience?
Quote Reply
Re: Anyone here buy a new car through the Costco auto program? [SkipG] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Last year I bought my wife a new vehicle. I compared Costco to AAA, I don't remember why but I went with AAA. I know you mention Costco but not sure, if perhaps, you're interested in an auto program or Costco only auto program. Told a buddy about AAA's program, he had no idea they offered one.

It's not like a buy a new/used vehicle often, at all, but if/when I do it again I will use a car buying program. Bought myself a new truck in '14, the finance guy at one stealership gave me a price one evening. Spoke to him the next morning on the phone to confirm the price, he said ok. Go in with my down payment and he tells me he made a mistake and raised the price $4000. I told him to fuck off and walked out. Wasted two days with that piece of shit.

ETA: I think I remember, I don't think Costco deals with used cars, AAA does. We were going to buy my wife used but the difference in price made new, due to a better warranty vs not that big of a savings, worth it to go new.

ΜΟΛΩΝ-ΛΑΒΕ
we're doomed
Last edited by: Madduck: Dec 13, 17 19:35
Quote Reply
Re: Anyone here buy a new car through the Costco auto program? [SkipG] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Looked into it. Similar to the AMEX program. Got way better deal with direct online quote requests. YRMV.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
SkipG wrote:
I have read some good reviews on the process just wondering if anyone here had first hand experience?

It's typically a supplier-priced deal, but with a caveat. Sometimes, it may be at the employee discount if it's a Domestic 3 car, truck or SUV. The supplier discount is good, the employee discount is even better. But the one thing with the Costco and other similar supplier-price programs is that you may not see the additional manufacturer money that true supplier and employee discounts also get (bonus cash, customer cash, ad money, etc.), so your price may still be a bit higher than with actual supplier/employee pricing.

You may be able to do better by shopping around. TrueCar can help. Often, if you're willing to do the haggling and you qualify for actual supplier or employee pricing you can get a dealer to throw additional money at knocking down the price (at least on monthly payment terms). At the least, demand the sales manager strip out the deal and give you a walk-out price. And then shop that, after you get their offer in writing. The good franchises will even give you a structured deal printout, if only to scare off other dealers from matching it or beating it.

"Politics is just show business for ugly people."
Quote Reply
Re: Anyone here buy a new car through the Costco auto program? [big kahuna] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I was going to since I wanted a new hard to locate car. The dealer that did the Costco deals was out of allocation so I had another one match it.

When I read up on it it was a good no haggle price- most thought you could do a little better on common cars negotiating but for cars they were not dealing on due to availability it was great.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Looked into it. Basically if you are a decent negotiator you can get to the same price. If your a good negotiator, you can get a better price.
Quote Reply
Re: Anyone here buy a new car through the Costco auto program? [AndysStrongAle] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
AndysStrongAle wrote:
Looked into it. Basically if you are a decent negotiator you can get to the same price. If your a good negotiator, you can get a better price.
The Costco dealer just called be back this morning on the pricing for the Elite Odyssey, msrp is $46,670 plus tax tag title, total of $47,420, Costco price all in $43,007. I will talk to the local dealer here and see what they have to offer.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
SkipG wrote:
AndysStrongAle wrote:
The Costco dealer just called be back this morning on the pricing for the Elite Odyssey, msrp is $46,670 plus tax tag title, total of $47,420, Costco price all in $43,007. I will talk to the local dealer here and see what they have to offer.

That is why I could never do a minivan. $40k+ for a minivan. It better provide full time daycare for that price.
Quote Reply
Re: Anyone here buy a new car through the Costco auto program? [AndysStrongAle] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
AndysStrongAle wrote:
SkipG wrote:
AndysStrongAle wrote:

That is why I could never do a minivan. $40k+ for a minivan. It better provide full time daycare for that price.

Buy one that's a year old.You'l pay half that price and still have a lot of warranty left. That's that I did, got a 1 year old Town and Country with all the options and upgrades for under $18,000.

Live long and surf!
Quote Reply
Re: Anyone here buy a new car through the Costco auto program? [Giant Steps] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
T&C yeah, he is looking at an Odessy. When I looked about a year ago, I still saw them going for $30k+ with 40,000 miles.
Quote Reply