Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

SRAM GXP vx Black Box vs Ceramic Speed BB
Quote | Reply
3 bottom brackets. $30'ish, the Black Box for $170'ish or Ceramic Speed for about $300'ish (OUCH!). Does anyone know if the extra cost over the regular GXP, or are the CS bearing THAT much more noticeable efficiency wise than the Black Box? Are there any studies anyone can point me to with studies of these three to see the differences statistically?

Thanks in advance!
Quote Reply
Re: SRAM GXP vx Black Box vs Ceramic Speed BB [Rocky M] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Do three seconds in a race matter to you?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Bearing drag is all about seals and lube. You can read the friction facts data if you buy the report. The basic answer is there barely any savings to be found with bearings.

Make Inside Out Sports your next online tri shop! http://www.insideoutsports.com/
Quote Reply
Re: SRAM GXP vx Black Box vs Ceramic Speed BB [jimatbeyond] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Get the Wheels Manufacturing Bottom Bracket. They are built to a very high tolerance, you only need to replace the bearing when it wheres out. Plus it screws into itself eliminating any chance of bottom bracket creaking.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Check out Enduro Bearings

Make Inside Out Sports your next online tri shop! http://www.insideoutsports.com/
Quote Reply
Re: SRAM GXP vx Black Box vs Ceramic Speed BB [BryanD] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Buy the $30 one. When it starts to wear or creak replace it.
Quote Reply
Re: SRAM GXP vx Black Box vs Ceramic Speed BB [mattr] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks everyone. I had the blackbox in there but getting new cranks & the shop said the race was toast. SUPPOSEDLY, they said I'm supposed to have the BB overhauled every 3 months with ceramic bearings. It's been at least 2 years since that BB was torn apart for any reason at all. Maybe 2x that.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I second the Wheels Manufacturing suggestion... I buy and use their angular bearing options, very inexpensive and excellent BBs IME.

I did a study and my wallet is fatter and my bike pedals great with the Wheels Manufacturing bearings.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Rocky M wrote:
Thanks everyone. I had the blackbox in there but getting new cranks & the shop said the race was toast. SUPPOSEDLY, they said I'm supposed to have the BB overhauled every 3 months with ceramic bearings. It's been at least 2 years since that BB was torn apart for any reason at all. Maybe 2x that.

I think your shop smells money. Ceramic bearings should require less maintenance, not more, than conventional steel bearings. Both the SRAM GXP and the GXP blackbox use sealed cartridges. So I'm not sure what there is to "overhaul" like there was back in the days of cup & cone bearings. With a GXP or blackbox it's useful to maybe pull the crank and wipe the dirt off of everything every three months or so, but that's a 5 minute job at home. I find it hard to believe your shop is proposing to pull the seals from the bearing cartridges, flush, clean, and re-lube everything.

As an earlier poster mentioned, friction facts reports will tell you whether the blackbox is faster or slower (hint: this is a possibility) than the regular GXP.

Finally, some have recommended wheels manufacturing ("WM") BBs, with one reason being "they thread together". WM makes excellent products, but if you're using a GXP BB already, that implies a threaded BB, and so the whole thing is already threaded. The WM solution to the problems of non-threaded BB's is to thread the two sides together themselves. This is perfect for BB30, and also useful for PF30 and BB90/BB86. However it's not an option (as it would be redundant) for threaded BB shells. If you are using a frame with a non-threaded BB shell, then my comment doesn't apply and the WM BBs are a great solution.
Quote Reply
Re: SRAM GXP vx Black Box vs Ceramic Speed BB [vjohn] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
SRAM recommends that their ceramic bearings be cleaned and lubed every 100 hours of riding.
Quote Reply
Re: SRAM GXP vx Black Box vs Ceramic Speed BB [jimatbeyond] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
100 hrs, that's what the shop said. So I'm guessing they would then pull the seals off, lube & put back together...It should be about autumn 2018 by the time I actually get that many miles/hours in.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hawk Racing BB tested just about as fast as the ceramic speed one for much less.

2018 Races: IM Santa Rosa, Vineman Monte Rio, Lake Tahoe 70.3
Quote Reply