Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Interesting thread RE: home electrical system
Quote | Reply
If you read about a house burning down in TX you might know why.

https://diy.stackexchange.com/...hen-i-plug-things-in

LLLEEEEEEEEEEEERRRROOOYYY JEEENNNNNKKKIIINNNNNS!!!
Quote Reply
Re: Interesting thread RE: home electrical system [edwinj] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
OP just posted and the house hasn't burned yet
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I had a local door/window place come and replace a walkout door-wall at my house.

When I got home, they were packing up and just waiting for a check.

I went inside and was surprised to find my alarm system beeping and reporting no power. I went to the utility room and flipped on the light switch and the bulb burned out instantly.

I told the workmen that I thought something funny was going on, and they said that they didn't know anything and didn't have any problems. I called the company and let them know that I was concerned and was contacting an electrician.

When the electrician came out, he found that the installers can driven a screw into the main supply line. Power comes to the house to the left of the door-wall where there is a main cutoff switch, then runs above the door-wall into the circuit panel in the bathroom/laundry room to the right.

They had shorted one leg to ground, which sent 220V to everything that was plugged in.

The screw itself had practically welded itself to the wires, no way they didn't know that they did something when that happened.

I had to have the (just repainted) basement gutted and rewired since some of the receptacles and wiring showed signs of damage.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
There are just some things you should leave to professionals.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
edwinj wrote:
If you read about a house burning down in TX you might know why.https://diy.stackexchange.com/...hen-i-plug-things-in

Wow. Just Wow.
Last edited by: Tom_hampton: Dec 13, 17 8:03
Quote Reply