Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Anyone have a gym bag they recommend?
Quote | Reply
My two year old duffle bag smells like someone died in it. Time for a new gym bag (I go to the gym to run, swim, lift weights). Figured someone here has a recommendation on a good back to buy. I am thinking I need a separate compartment to put sweaty clothes / wet towels in....so that the bag will last longer. I can't put my work clothes in my bag any more because they smell like ass when I take them out. Probably be good to have a separate compartment for shoes too.
Quote Reply
Re: Anyone have a gym bag they recommend? [Mike Alexander] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Mike Alexander wrote:
My two year old duffle bag smells like someone died in it. Time for a new gym bag (I go to the gym to run, swim, lift weights). Figured someone here has a recommendation on a good back to buy. I am thinking I need a separate compartment to put sweaty clothes / wet towels in....so that the bag will last longer. I can't put my work clothes in my bag any more because they smell like ass when I take them out. Probably be good to have a separate compartment for shoes too.

not to sound snarky ... but have you tried throwing it in the washing machine? i've had a Nike duffle bag that's 14 years old. every once in a while it and my zoot tri bag go in to the washing machine with one of those tide pods and get hung to dry. good as new
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Have any bags from 70.3/140.6? I think I probably have 20 from different races and I just use those. They are great and most that I have received in the 5 years of long course racing have multiple pockets.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I just use the free bags I get from trade shows every year. I think I've got 5 now. Ey are big enough for my work clothes and has a couple pockets for toiletries.

And, I have a mesh swim bag for the wet stuff.
Quote Reply
Re: Anyone have a gym bag they recommend? [jazzymusicman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jazzymusicman wrote:
Mike Alexander wrote:

not to sound snarky ... but have you tried throwing it in the washing machine? i've had a Nike duffle bag that's 14 years old. every once in a while it and my zoot tri bag go in to the washing machine with one of those tide pods and get hung to dry. good as new

Nope...but I will try it.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I like my bag from Apera - the performance duffel looks most similar to what I got several years ago.

I also just got a couple of kitbrix (uk brand) mainly for cycling gear though.
Quote Reply
Re: Anyone have a gym bag they recommend? [jazzymusicman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jazzymusicman wrote:
Mike Alexander wrote:

+1 on the washing machine. That's what I've always done. The sport is already expensive enough without dropping money on equipment you already have and doesn't aid training or make you faster. Secondly look into a transition bag. I have a TYR one and this is a massive backpack. Fits my wet suit, bike shoes, spare shoes for long transitions, all kinds of stuff. I'm pretty sure Blueseventy has a good one, and I've seen a nice one for cheap on Swimoutlet.com under their house brand Sporti. If you .don't already have a proper transition bag it will be one of the best and most helpful purchases you make in the world of triathlon. Finally if you're looking for a duffle bag and duffle bag only it's just a bag. Go to Dick's, or search on Amazon real quick and you'll find something nice on sale.

On a side note swim towels are our friend. They are basically a softer built car chamois. Dry yourself off, squeeze it out, put it back in it's case and you're good to go. No smelly towels making your stuff wet. Also another one of those purchases that just makes things easier. Especially when you're an idiot like me and leave stuff in your car to get frozen in the winter, or throw your swim bag in a steamy hatchback in the summer.

I still lapped everyone on the couch!
Quote Reply
Re: Anyone have a gym bag they recommend? [Tom_hampton] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Tom_hampton wrote:
I just use the free bags I get from trade shows every year. I think I've got 5 now. Ey are big enough for my work clothes and has a couple pockets for toiletries.

And, I have a mesh swim bag for the wet stuff.

Similar here, just rotate between the free small backpacks I get at IM events. They aren't big, but easily big enough to fit gym clothes, ipod, etc.
If you are looking for a larger one to use for traveling, etc., maybe look online at some of the 'transition' bags, like from DeSoto.
Last edited by: SBRcanuck: Dec 13, 17 4:02
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Mike Alexander wrote:

like others say

1) wash it. mine go through the wash every couple of months, because I hate smellz. Washing also helps the zipper run smoother.

2) I use a couple of bags. the $25-30 bags at any big box sports store work fine, I have a Nike one that I've been using for a few years which I got at SportChek, and another free one I got with my old gym membership. One has swim stuff, the other has run / gym stuff.

Never had a triathlon transition bag. I don't see the point of paying $100 plus for a "transition" bag, when my regular Swiss Army backpack (Costco, forget how much it was) works fine. I don't carry that much stuff for a triathlon.

Swimming Workout of the Day:

Favourite Swim Sets:

2020 National Masters Champion - M50-54 - 50m Butterfly
Quote Reply
Re: Anyone have a gym bag they recommend? [JasoninHalifax] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
511Tactical.com made the best bag I have ever owned. Brilliant piece of kit!
Quote Reply
Post deleted by Felt_Rider [ In reply to ]
Re: Anyone have a gym bag they recommend? [Felt_Rider] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I went with this, and it is awesome.

https://aperabags.com/.../performance-duffel/
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Oh I’m glad you found something you like!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Just make sure it has a great big Mdot logo on it... just so they all know - in case you haven't got the tat.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Any IM rucksack that you have and a plastic bag for your damp or sweaty kit. Keep it simple.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
These work well
https://www.amazon.com/...e-Pack/dp/B003B6478Q

"If it costs you 30 minutes at Maryland so what" -dwreal
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thrift store.

For a few dollars bought a black, canvas bag with shoulder strap and handle with many pockets. Mine even says Abbott Laboratories. Maybe it's original use was for business. Makes for a great tri bag to organize what I have.

Outside slip in pocket: food, water bottle, anything I want really handy.

On the handle: My combination lock.

Big inside pocket: clothing, etc.

Inside pocket next to it: All kinds of toiletries.

Small pockets up front: tape measure, papers, etc.

And as many have said a bag from a race to carry the wet stuff home. Or you can go to the dollar store given the cost of entry fees.

Indoor Triathlete - I thought I was right, until I realized I was wrong.
Quote Reply