Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

11sp chain on 10sp components??
Quote | Reply
I know I recently read a few posts about someone asking if you could use an 11speed chain on a 10speed crank and cassette. The jist of my recollection is that, yes you can run an 11sp chain on a 10sp cassette, and that it may actually run better due to more allowance in the shifting spacing (ie: the narrower chain allows for greater deviation between cogs, and thus less precise shifting) (and yes, I am running mechanical 10sp shifters).
I'm getting ready to order a new chain, possibly the Premier Tactical 11sp, and I just want to make sure that it can be run on a 10sp drivetrain. The idea does seem to make sense, as the spacing between the 10sp cassette cogs is greater, and the 11sp chain is narrower, so thus there is a wider range of shift point with which the chain to settle in on.

Thoughts, ideas, comments, experiences..... all with great thanks in advance.

Team Zoot-Texas, and Pickle Juice
Quote Reply
Re: 11sp chain on 10sp components?? [Taugen] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I wouldn't do it.
Quote Reply
Re: 11sp chain on 10sp components?? [jimatbeyond] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Works perfectly fine. Praxis Works market their chain ring as 11 and 10 speed since they are basically are the same width. The difference is that the 11 speed chains need to be built to a closer tolerance due to that the parts are going to be closer together. But the inside width is still the same. Running 11 speed chain is probably even better than running a 10 speed chain since they are going to be built to a better tolerance.
Quote Reply
Re: 11sp chain on 10sp components?? [Taugen] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It will work fine on the cassette and chainrings in terms of the chainring and cog thicknesses. But it won't be ideal on the FD especially. FD cages are designed with a certain OUTSIDE width for a chain and the 11s chain is a bit narrower on the outside than a 10s chain. So the shifting will be less than optimal.

It might also be less than optimal on shifts over many gears on the cassette, as sometimes the RD pulley cage will press on the chain for rapid, multi-cog shifts. Again, the non-standard width might give you sub-optimal shifting there too.

Advanced Aero TopTube Storage for Road, Gravel, & Tri...ZeroSlip & Direct-mount, made in the USA.
DarkSpeedWorks.com.....Reviews.....Insta.....Facebook

--
Quote Reply
Re: 11sp chain on 10sp components?? [DarkSpeedWorks] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thank you for the thoughts and explanations.
I will likely stick with using the proper 10sp chain just for piece of mind.
At some time this off-season, I may pick up a used 11sp chain and just try it for fun. If/when I do that testing, I will report back my findings.

Team Zoot-Texas, and Pickle Juice
Quote Reply