Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Resurrected Species in Our Time?
Quote | Reply
What say you? Assuming most of us here have another 40 or 50 years before going into the great unknown, do you think we'll see the resurrection of an extinct species?

Seems like genetic sciences are advancing at a good clip. This post inspired from reports a Tasmanian Tiger's genome has been recovered.

I'm going with yes, it will happen. But they got to get going, as I would think it will take a decade or two to work out all the kinks.
Quote Reply
Re: Resurrected Species in Our Time? [ThisIsIt] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Wooly mammoth. I watched a great show about a S. Korean company working on a specimen from Siberia. They were able to extract liquid blood, didn't know if it was usable yet.

I think it was on National Geographic.
My opinion, these scientists haven't watched Jurassic Park. They're spending so much time wondering if they could, I don't think they've stopped to ask if they should.

Extinct species went extinct for a reason. Probably best to leave them extinct. The environment and ecosystems have moved on without them.

--------------------------
The secret of a long life is you try not to shorten it.
-Nobody
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Who will fund this type of research?

Maybe we could save the honey bee, instead.
Quote Reply
Re: Resurrected Species in Our Time? [mck414] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
mck414 wrote:
Wooly mammoth. I watched a great show about a S. Korean company working on a specimen from Siberia. They were able to extract liquid blood, didn't know if it was usable yet.

My opinion, these scientists haven't watched Jurassic Park. They're spending so much time wondering if they could, I don't think they've stopped to ask if they should.

Extinct species went extinct for a reason. Probably best to leave them extinct. The environment and ecosystems have moved on without them.

Either that, or they've watched Jurassic Park one too many times. To me, it's just that--science fiction. It's like wondering if we'll be able to go all Dr. Frankenstein and re-animate a dead human (truly dead, not talking about resuscitation). I doubt it. I'm pretty sure that our advances in AI will be far more impressive.

And it's like you said, maybe we'll be able to, but should we?
Quote Reply
Re: Resurrected Species in Our Time? [Old Hickory] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I like ham.

I'm beginning to think that we are much more fucked than I thought.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
"Extinct species went extinct for a reason. Probably best to leave them extinct. The environment and ecosystems have moved on without them. "

This is not true. People are the reason many things went extinct. We have reintroduction of wolves and other species in locals that help manage populations. Heck, deer almost went extinct in many places and they could have if we wanted to. Same with Turkeys. Now there are species that respond differently to human intervention and there are many balance problems especially if you involve invasive species.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
They should be more concerned about saving the species that are going extinct from human intervention. Hunting (Not recreational Joe out to bag a buck.) has taken its toll on many species. Humans tearing up natural territories (Rain forests) and building shopping centers.

We can't even stop a poacher from killing rhinos, who are we to be screwing with natural selection?

"When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace." Jimi Hendrix
Quote Reply
Re: Resurrected Species in Our Time? [adambeston] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
adambeston wrote:
"Extinct species went extinct for a reason. Probably best to leave them extinct. The environment and ecosystems have moved on without them. "

This is not true. People are the reason many things went extinct. We have reintroduction of wolves and other species in locals that help manage populations. Heck, deer almost went extinct in many places and they could have if we wanted to. Same with Turkeys. Now there are species that respond differently to human intervention and there are many balance problems especially if you involve invasive species.

That was my thought. Most of the species that we can get DNA from almost certainly went extinct either indirectly or directly due to humans. I don't know why a resurrected extinct species, which almost certainly would not be released into the wild for a long time, if ever would be any more difficult to manage than extant species.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
There is an interesting discussion about trying to resurrect the passenger pigeon bc the argument is they compete for the same resources as deer. (A mostly Midwest car collision issue). Its interesting since its not controversial in the same way wolves or mountain lions is.

My spouse has worked running population models and its interesting to see when people can be "trusted" to manage a species through hunting or bounties. Coyote bounties are at $50 a piece in Utah but the population responds with increased kit size and increased dispersal rates. Just goes to show there are some predator prey interactions that humans are having trouble managing. The ocean is a cluster&#)$ of these issues as well. No worry as we only get 70% of our O2 from the ocean.
Quote Reply
Re: Resurrected Species in Our Time? [Nova] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Nova wrote:
They should be more concerned about saving the species that are going extinct from human intervention. Hunting (Not recreational Joe out to bag a buck.) has taken its toll on many species. Humans tearing up natural territories (Rain forests) and building shopping centers.

We can't even stop a poacher from killing rhinos, who are we to be screwing with natural selection?

There probably isn't a species on the planet that isn't influenced by humans, so we already are screwing with natural selection.

Just look at the evolutionary success of those species we've domesticated, or have some value to us for some other reason vs. the ones that we don't care so much about or even want gone.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Just read an excellent book called "The Plant Messiah" about a guy who works out of Kew Gardens in London and specializes in propogating plants that are down to the last few specimens in the wild. Pretty cool. Numerous examples of how things are interrelated.

Brazil nuts are a major source of money for people in some tropical countries but pollination of them is dependent upon some bug that also depends on some orchid. If the orchid goes so does the benefits of the tree. I'm going to grow some stuff in my garden that is rare for fun.

I just bought a big forest that I am going to manage more or less as a nature preserve. I'm lucky I have the means to do so. But even if you have a patch of dirt there is stuff you can do.

They constantly try to escape from the darkness outside and within
Dreaming of systems so perfect that no one will need to be good T.S. Eliot

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
mck414 wrote:

They haven't been gone that long, really

https://io9.gizmodo.com/...should-have-survived

"What's your claim?" - Ben Gravy
"Your best work is the work you're excited about" - Rick Rubin
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I sure hope it happens soon! I'm running out of Christmas present ideas for my girls, and bet they would love a Miniature Wooly Mammoth!

Travis Rassat
Vector Cycle Works
Noblesville, IN
BikeFit Instructor | FMS | F.I.S.T. | IBFI
Toughman Triathlon Series Ambassador
Quote Reply
Re: Resurrected Species in Our Time? [Travis R] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply

http://en.sooam.com/html/?code=B01

--------------------------
The secret of a long life is you try not to shorten it.
-Nobody
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
ThisIsIt wrote:
What say you? Assuming most of us here have another 40 or 50 years before going into the great unknown, do you think we'll see the resurrection of an extinct species?

Seems like genetic sciences are advancing at a good clip. This post inspired from reports a Tasmanian Tiger's genome has been recovered.

I'm going with yes, it will happen. But they got to get going, as I would think it will take a decade or two to work out all the kinks.

I don't think we'll have to wait 40 years. Given the recent advances in genetic technologies it will happen much sooner.

What was inordinately expensive cutting-edge science a decade ago is now affordable and commonplace. And the rate of progress in technical expertise and knowledge in this field is exponential.

Resurrecting the thylacine (Tasmanian tiger) from extinction has been cause du jour for over a decade since the discovery a joey preserved in alcohol, as opposed to formalin which is particularly detrimental to DNA.

In many ways the project was initially a waste of time and money. A pickled thylacine isn't going to get any sicker and nor is it going to run away. In the subsequent decade, genetic techniques have become more refined and affordable. There is now increasing technological and financial viability in pursuing this research.

There are certain aspects of marsupial reproduction that make them more suitable for this kind of project. A short pregnancy for the surrogate, (21 days for a Tasmanian Devil, which would be the surrogate species used for the thylacine), limits the window for problems to occur in utero.

With new born joeys being peanut-size or smaller for all marsupials, transplanting embryos from significantly larger species to a smaller surrogate species presents fewer potential birthing difficulties in comparison to other mammals.

Both hand-raising and inter-species fostering of pouch young are established techniques in marsupial breeding, so there are options for successfully raising young to independence.

Although the thylacine population had suffered a loss of genetic diversity for millennia and was also effected by a distemper-like virus around the turn of the century, it was human persecution that drove the species to extinction with the last known individual dying in 1936.

With large areas of suitable habitat still in tact in Tasmania and no natural predators, it is an ideal candidate for reintroduction to the wild.

My crystal ball says we'll see a living thylacine within a decade.
Quote Reply
Re: Resurrected Species in Our Time? [zed707] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
zed707 wrote:
And it's like you said, maybe we'll be able to, but should we?

I think cases where human activities have been the direct cause of species' extinction, I think we have a moral responsibility to do so.

The logical extension to your question is why should we endeavour to preserve the diversity of life on earth at all?

If you have a positive answer to that question, it is similarly applicable to the question you asked.
Quote Reply
Re: Resurrected Species in Our Time? [Old Hickory] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Old Hickory wrote:

It is not a zero sum game. Why not do both?

Humans are probably more dependent on bees than we are for any other species on the planet, but that doesn't mean that they represent the only conservation issue to address. Just because we fund research into breast cancer, isn't a reason to eliminate all other oncology funding and research.

I think a charismatic project such as bringing a species back from extinction has the potential to attract private sector funding beyond the more traditional government funding of universities, museums and other institutions where this research would take place.
Last edited by: satanellus: Dec 13, 17 21:32
Quote Reply
Re: Resurrected Species in Our Time? [satanellus] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
satanellus wrote:
ThisIsIt wrote:

I don't think we'll have to wait 40 years. Given the recent advances in genetic technologies it will happen much sooner.

What was inordinately expensive cutting-edge science a decade ago is now affordable and commonplace. And the rate of progress in technical expertise and knowledge in this field is exponential.

Resurrecting the thylacine (Tasmanian tiger) from extinction has been cause du jour for over a decade since the discovery a joey preserved in alcohol, as opposed to formalin which is particularly detrimental to DNA.

In many ways the project was initially a waste of time and money. A pickled thylacine isn't going to get any sicker and nor is it going to run away. In the subsequent decade, genetic techniques have become more refined and affordable. There is now increasing technological and financial viability in pursuing this research.

There are certain aspects of marsupial reproduction that make them more suitable for this kind of project. A short pregnancy for the surrogate, (21 days for a Tasmanian Devil, which would be the surrogate species used for the thylacine), limits the window for problems to occur in utero.

With new born joeys being peanut-size or smaller for all marsupials, transplanting embryos from significantly larger species to a smaller surrogate species presents fewer potential birthing difficulties in comparison to other mammals.

Both hand-raising and inter-species fostering of pouch young are established techniques in marsupial breeding, so there are options for successfully raising young to independence.

Although the thylacine population had suffered a loss of genetic diversity for millennia and was also effected by a distemper-like virus around the turn of the century, it was human persecution that drove the species to extinction with the last known individual dying in 1936.

With large areas of suitable habitat still in tact in Tasmania and no natural predators, it is an ideal candidate for reintroduction to the wild.

My crystal ball says we'll see a living thylacine within a decade.

Thanks, interesting stuff.
Quote Reply
Re: Resurrected Species in Our Time? [len] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
len wrote:
...I just bought a big forest that I am going to manage more or less as a nature preserve...

That's damn cool - well done, good sir!

Do not taunt Happy Fun Ball
Quote Reply
Re: Resurrected Species in Our Time? [satanellus] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
satanellus wrote:
Old Hickory wrote:

It is not a zero sum game. Why not do both?

Humans are probably more dependent on bees than we are for any other species on the planet, but that doesn't mean that they represent the only conservation issue to address. Just because we fund research into breast cancer, isn't a reason to eliminate all other oncology funding and research.

I think a charismatic project such as bringing a species back from extinction has the potential to attract private sector funding beyond the more traditional government funding of universities, museums and other institutions where this research would take place.

Private funding for charismatic projects would be preferable to this we. :-)
Quote Reply