Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Josh Amberger's Kona Report via Wattie [hey_burgs] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
as a fellow aussie who saw u race in cairns as well I hope you crush it. I wonder what that feeling is leading for long periods after the swim onto the bike. My negative attitude would be saying 'the bastards are coming' etc.
How did you find the boost helmet?
Quote Reply
Re: Josh Amberger's Kona Report via Wattie [hey_burgs] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
hey_burgs wrote:
B_Doughtie wrote:
What are your thoughts on taking the swim out *that* fast like you did. Was that really the plan, to push for a large gap, what was it 90s to the chase front pack swimmers? Great publicity and leading the race for a few hours. Is there plans to "tone it down" or is that just your style of no regrets. Were you just testing the waters this year so to speak?

The plan was to go really hard at the start of the swim. It's difficult to ever force a gap unless I race this way. Case in point, the chase group out of the water had swimmers of a massive spectrum of ability, some swimmers in theory should have been 5-8 minutes down (at least) if the had to swim on their own merits. Everyone adapts much better these days to sitting in a pack, so you just got to blow it open.

I think that's a cool way to race, just go out hard on the swim and try to gain a lead, then hold on as long as you can. I for one love it when you come on this forum. It's great to hear the story straight from you, unfiltered by any editorial writer.

"Anyone can be who they want to be IF they have the HUNGER and the DRIVE."
Quote Reply
Re: Josh Amberger's Kona Report via Wattie [jkhayc] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Perhaps, but they don’t necessarily fail for the same reason as Josh addresses that in his post in this thread. If you “go for it” you risk failure. As he mentioned he could have placed better and raced faster by being more conservative but that isn’t the goal for many like him.
Quote Reply
Re: Josh Amberger's Kona Report via Wattie [BradC] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
BradC wrote:
It's my understanding that the swim course is different (and perhaps a little longer) now than it was in the 80s and 90s, thanks to more accurate measurements. So your 47:09 might be the fastest true 2.4-mile swim in Kailua Bay, but surely you can go 38 seconds faster next year to make it an official record ;)

uh oh, here we go again!
Quote Reply
Re: Josh Amberger's Kona Report via Wattie [BradC] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
oh, but he's been here before. here's an oldie but goodie.

Lars Finanger
Odyssey SwimRun
Quote Reply

Prev Next