Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

What rollers are the pros using?
Quote | Reply
Due to a frame crack most likely caused by riding my trainer 8+ hours a week (crack behind the seat post in-between the back wheel dropout area) I am looking to get into rollers. I was going to buy a basic roller but then I see many pros using swift and I heard murmurs of them using rollers that might have resistance built in or that may change due to the area you ride in ( on the swift course?) So I am looking for some solid choices. Any feedback would be appreciated!

Strava:https://www.strava.com/athletes/20890878
Quote Reply
Re: What rollers are the pros using? [SpeedOfCourse] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Do you mean E-motion with the smart resistance unit? $$$
Quote Reply
Re: What rollers are the pros using? [Karl.n] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Not sure, Rollers are foreign to me, just looking for some options

Strava:https://www.strava.com/athletes/20890878
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In Europe the best option is from Elite (http://www.bikeradar.com/...ollers-review-51094/). Elite is an Italian company and are more expensive US so they are rarely the best choice in the US market.

As a side note the question of 'Do turbo trainers damage carbon frames?' has been discussed extensively here and on other forums. The general consensus is trainers don't do the kind of damage that has killed your bike. Most people agree that you find cracks on bikes used heavily indoors because of the way carbon fails. Trainers allow a damaged bike to be used without the damage becoming apparent while at the same time allowing cracks to propagate and become more apparent. I am sure I am not the only one to have thought my carbon bars survived a crash only to have them snap on me 5 months later during a indoor session. (And I'm glad that happened on the trainer and not on the road.) That is simply to say I wouldn't be sure you can extend the life of your next bike by switching from a trainer to rollers.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have a pro friend that rides rollers and does zwift... not sure he rides honestly, sure he has a PM on his road bike. He did a live vid the other day on FB riding his rollers and Zwifting. I think they're no frills Kreitler or similar.

I can tell you what I ride in terms of rollers, Sportcrafters OverDrive.... has a progressive power curve that makes for a great workout on top of staying on them... great for balance, core, bike handling, etc. Recommend them highly.

https://www.sportcrafters.com/blog/virtual-power-sportcrafters-rollers
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
From what I've read, smart rollers (Elite, etc.) can't offer the same resistance as regular smart trainers.
Also, if you're not comfortable on rollers yet, it might be a big skill jump to try them with Zwift racing or group rides.

From past experience, I think rollers work well for focusing on pedaling smoothness and/or watching TV.
Dumb rollers are cheapish; smart rollers are pricier and reviews seem to be mediocre/mixed.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
IMO, "smart" rollers aren't worth it because the power measurement and ability to control power are horribly off. If you want to try rollers out, just get a cheap set of dumb rollers and rock Gatorskins with butyl tubes and low air pressure. That should be all of the resistance you need ;)
Quote Reply
Re: What rollers are the pros using? [spookini] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Depending on the frame manufacturer you're either 100% covered, if you are the original owner, or you're boned.

Either way, can't argue with world tour cycling pros putting tons of hours into trainers on bikes at power levels much above anything probably 1/2 the people here will do.

If you plan to use a frame on a trainer, just ensure the warranty matches your uses.

I wouldn't buy rollers just for that reason. Get them because you actually also want rollers. I do not see rollers as a standalone substitute to a trainer when needing to do focused power work.
Quote Reply
Re: What rollers are the pros using? [burnthesheep] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I wouldn't buy rollers just for that reason. Get them because you actually also want rollers. I do not see rollers as a standalone substitute to a trainer when needing to do focused power work.

This.

Get rollers because you want to ride rollers and get the benefits from them.

As Mentioned basic dumb rollers are not that expensive. Most of the bigger indoor training companies make them. The gold standard for years have been the Kreitler rollers. that are a bit more expensive, even for dumb/basic rollers, but they are incredibly and noticeably smoother, and are VERY well built.

On the "smart" side of things, the only ones that would seem to make sense to me, if you want the variability and all of that coupled to something like Zwift, is the eMotion rollers. Ounce you are OK, on these you can stand-up and hammer/sprint/climb - something that is only a SUPER advanced skill on normal rollers.

Steve Fleck @stevefleck | Blog
Quote Reply
Re: What rollers are the pros using? [Fleck] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
All my friends who ride track uses the Tacx Antares.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Quote Reply
Re: What rollers are the pros using? [Charleslo_99] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Charleslo_99 wrote:
All my friends who ride track uses the Tacx Antares.

The newer galaxia are also very nice as well. I use these for road, crit, cross warmups and long rides indoors. They are concave shaped and are more mindless than standard rollers. The bumbers are also nice. In general you can easily cruise at 200-250w, perfect for warmups and endurance rides. Normal cadence will dictate a ceiling around 300w. I think 53 x 11 i am just over 300-325 at 90ish rpm. They are generally useless for sustained intervals or very hard efforts.
Quote Reply
Re: What rollers are the pros using? [Silvercivic27] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Silvercivic27 wrote:
http://www.trutrainer.com/products_rollers.shtml

Tried those. Very high quality build and amazing ride with nice inertia.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Have you considered something like this?

https://www.feedbacksports.com/...um-portable-trainer/

They would put very little stress on the frame, and have progressive resistance. They ate "compatible with Zwift" but not sure how
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I bought the Elite Arion Digital Smart B+ Rollers in Nov during CleverTraining 20% Sale and really like it. I have about 15 hours of riding on the rollers in Zwift or using 820 to control the resistance. Also use Garmin PM Pedals for Pwr/Cad - makes for a nice change from the smart trainer during the MN Winter.
Quote Reply
Re: What rollers are the pros using? [ghettodeluxe] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ghettodeluxe wrote:
Have you considered something like this?
https://www.feedbacksports.com/...um-portable-trainer/

They would put very little stress on the frame, and have progressive resistance. They ate "compatible with Zwift" but not sure how

I believe that is made by Sportcrafters and probably uses their OverDrive type drum for progressive resistance.... I use their "regular" rollers with the OverDrive rear drum and it has a pretty nice power curve.

Link to their power curve: https://www.sportcrafters.com/...portcrafters-rollers[/font]

Sportscrafters is also the OEM for the CycleOps rollers. After owning them and being supported by them for several years, I'm a big fan of their products.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Why not just buy a cheap used AL bike to leave on the trainer? Simpler and probably cheaper than what you are trying to do.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
SpeedOfCourse wrote:
Due to a frame crack most likely caused by riding my trainer 8+ hours a week (crack behind the seat post in-between the back wheel dropout area) I am looking to get into rollers. I was going to buy a basic roller but then I see many pros using swift and I heard murmurs of them using rollers that might have resistance built in or that may change due to the area you ride in ( on the swift course?) So I am looking for some solid choices. Any feedback would be appreciated!

I have seen a youtube video of Lionel Sanders training with zwift on inside ride emotion rollers. I have the exact same model, though he probably has the electronic resistance control add-on. I purchased mine in 2012. I enjoyed them immensely for five winters. However, this year I decided it was time for a change. I purchased a direct drive smart trainer, elite direto, which was the same price as the basic emotion rollers with no electronic resistance control. Actually in Canada, the direto is a little cheaper. Now I know you want to do what the pros do, and I am no pro, just a regular middle aged guy, trying to have a little fun in between working and raising a family. However, for whatever it’s worth, I prefer the direct drive smart trainer. It has better road feel and is more versatile. Even if you get the smart resistance control add-on for the emotion rollers, it will not feel as good or be as accurate as a direct drive trainer. Also, if you try to use them with an immersive app like zwift or sufferfest, it will be hard not to fall off when you see the road turn on your screen, seriously.
Quote Reply