Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: ANOTHER new Ironman Boulder (2018) bike course [robgray] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
robgray wrote:
that sounds like it's gonna be a slow course (at least slower than other years). Unless they make it 110 miles again ;-)

I'm trying to understand this. According to a very conservative plan I made on BBS (altitude corrected power, max descent speed at 35mph) they still say I'll ride 4:56 on 193 NP. Even assuming a ridiculous one minute list for each turn around (no way it's that much, but I highly doubt BBS model takes u-turns into account) and being a bit tentative on unfamiliar descents, that would still be sub 5:10 on under 200 watts. Is that a slow course? Doesn't sound like it to me. Am I missing something?

Different question: what's the run surface like? Asphalt, concrete, gravel?

Thanks.

------------------------------------------------------------
Any run that doesn't include pooping in someone's front yard is a win.
Quote Reply
Re: ANOTHER new Ironman Boulder (2018) bike course [CCF] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yes not a slow course compared to other races, just compared to previous years. But when I wrote that, there were any extra 2 u-turns that are no longer there.

That BBS estimate sounds about right, and you'll go faster than 35mph down Nelson.

Run starts as asphalt for a bit then you're on a concrete bike path.

Are you ready to do an Ultraman? | How I calculate Ironman race fueling | Strength Training for Athletes |
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Rob, how good are these roads? TIA.

I'm not a big fan of the split transition or 180s (who is?), but happy to have a course to race on.
Quote Reply
Re: ANOTHER new Ironman Boulder (2018) bike course [mbwallis] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
mbwallis wrote:
Rob, how good are these roads? TIA.

I'm not a big fan of the split transition or 180s (who is?), but happy to have a course to race on.

I'd say most of the road surface is really good. St Vrain and Hygiene roads are a bit rough in places but nothing bad.

Are you ready to do an Ultraman? | How I calculate Ironman race fueling | Strength Training for Athletes |
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm not seeing the 2018 IM Boulder course on BBS.

I see the 2017 course...Can someone point me in the right direction??

Thanks
Quote Reply
Re: ANOTHER new Ironman Boulder (2018) bike course [BTEEZY28] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Not sure if this is what you are looking for (or even if I really know how to use BBS correctly ;) But here's a link to one I made: https://www.bestbikesplit.com/public-course/124529

Its a little bit short, likely due to my errors in plotting the exact turnarounds.

Hope this works for you!
Quote Reply
Re: ANOTHER new Ironman Boulder (2018) bike course [im_beav] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
im_beav wrote:
Not sure if this is what you are looking for (or even if I really know how to use BBS correctly ;) But here's a link to one I made: https://www.bestbikesplit.com/public-course/124529

Its a little bit short, likely due to my errors in plotting the exact turnarounds.

Hope this works for you!

I created this course - and made it 112 by making the Hygiene u-turn happen at Crane Hollow Rd. Let's hope the RD is as good at placing a turnaround as me!
bestbikesplit.com/public-course/129223

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
CCF wrote:
robgray wrote:
that sounds like it's gonna be a slow course (at least slower than other years). Unless they make it 110 miles again ;-)

I'm trying to understand this. According to a very conservative plan I made on BBS (altitude corrected power, max descent speed at 35mph) they still say I'll ride 4:56 on 193 NP. Even assuming a ridiculous one minute list for each turn around (no way it's that much, but I highly doubt BBS model takes u-turns into account) and being a bit tentative on unfamiliar descents, that would still be sub 5:10 on under 200 watts. Is that a slow course? Doesn't sound like it to me. Am I missing something?

Different question: what's the run surface like? Asphalt, concrete, gravel?

Thanks.

Now that I've put it into best bike split, it actually looks quite fast. About the same as Texas without the draft packs. It predicts I could ride around 4:20, so now I'm actually tempted to do the race and give it a go!

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Funny, I now have three different 'Ironman Boulder 2018' courses on BBS: 110.88 miles, 112.17 (yours), and 113.21. I guess it'll be about right on average!

I'm curious to know how slippery you are. BBS gives me 4:46 on NP=209 watts, would need NP=262 watts to hit 4:20. Are yours much lower?

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
There’s no way the construction on 36 by Lefthand will be done in time.

Also, that little kicker up Neva to 36 will be a nice punch over threshold for almost everyone.

And turning onto Hygiene off 36 from that downhill will be a bit tricky, with duel Hygenie traffic and narrow roads. Hope they have some signs to keep people’s speed in check.

Alex Arman

Strava
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
CCF wrote:
Funny, I now have three different 'Ironman Boulder 2018' courses on BBS: 110.88 miles, 112.17 (yours), and 113.21. I guess it'll be about right on average!

I'm curious to know how slippery you are. BBS gives me 4:46 on NP=209 watts, would need NP=262 watts to hit 4:20. Are yours much lower?

Mine is on 263 watts @ 170 lbs

PS - my course was also 113.21 if I made the turnaround close to the tracks (which it looks like on the map)

Last edited by: robgray: May 1, 18 10:34
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks Rob
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Rob, our support of your idea to jump in this year will depend on what age group you would be racing in! ;) <pink>

In all seriousness, would be an honor to "race" against you and share the course with ya!
Quote Reply
Re: ANOTHER new Ironman Boulder (2018) bike course [im_beav] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
im_beav wrote:
Rob, our support of your idea to jump in this year will depend on what age group you would be racing in! ;) <pink>

In all seriousness, would be an honor to "race" against you and share the course with ya!

Haha. I've no plans to race Kona so I'm basically a "non entity" in the 40-44 AG.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
robgray wrote:

Bummer. Concrete always makes my quads feel like hamburger. Thanks.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Oh cool, can't wait to load this up :) given your non-kona status, I'd welcome you in the field :)

-------------
Ed O'Malley
www.VeloVetta.com
Founder of VeloVetta Cycling Shoes
Instagram • Facebook
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
CCF wrote:
robgray wrote:

But hamburgers are awesome!

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
robgray wrote:
CCF wrote:
robgray wrote:

But hamburgers are awesome!

Crispy bacon, whole wheat bun (no mayo or butter), sharp cheddar, sweet onions, lettuce, and onion rings on the side? Yessir!

Quote Reply
Re: ANOTHER new Ironman Boulder (2018) bike course [doublea334] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
doublea334 wrote:
There’s no way the construction on 36 by Lefthand will be done in time.
How bad is that construction?

Was just looking at the athlete's guide. So it seems they're transporting all bikes + gear bags from the reservoir (T1/T2) back to the high school finish area for pickup. Never seen that done with bikes before.
Quote Reply
Re: ANOTHER new Ironman Boulder (2018) bike course [mbwallis] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ehi guys, I know this is an old question, but I still have a few hours to decide.

I just tuned up the bike for a disc (with a minor adjustment: the wideness of the rims), so current configuration would be
Front: Enve 7.0 clincher 25mm
Rear: Disc tubular 24mm
Now I'm a bit concern about the wind called for race day.
Should I go back to the original 7.8 wheelset?
Quote Reply
Re: ANOTHER new Ironman Boulder (2018) bike course [paolo.s] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Forecast is light winds on Sunday. But your setup is fine for even 25mph winds.
Quote Reply

Prev Next