Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Explosion on 42nd St.
Quote | Reply
One block from times square. This could be bad.

The devil made me do it the first time, second time I done it on my own - W
Quote Reply
Re: Explosion on 42nd St. [sphere] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
One injury reported, suspect in custody...

The devil made me do it the first time, second time I done it on my own - W
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
sphere wrote:

Some papers are reporting a "massive explosion" and a "running stampede" at the Manhattan's main bus station, other reports are saying in the subway. As always, initial reports may be inaccurate.

"Politics is just show business for ugly people."
Quote Reply
Re: Explosion on 42nd St. [big kahuna] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote:
As always, initial reports may be inaccurate.

Something that’s has come to the collective forefront around here (with this fire situation) is that nobody is trusting the media to report accurately anymore.

We are getting our news form each other. By the time any real information hits the tv or radio it’s already old news (and probably not correct anyway).

People are using text, social media and forums to disseminate information and any inaccuracies are corrected very quickly.

I actaully have a source very high up at the SB Fire Dept. texting me directly and honestly.

The media as we’ve known is in its death throes.

Here’s a quote from a friend (you would probably know of this person if I gave you his name) that sums it up quite nicely...

Quote:
The media, the lack of actual useful information? Horrible. If you wanted to get information on road closures, evacuations, the best source was freaking social media. TV "news" was pathetic. Very little useful information. More like, "Your house has burned to the ground, your cars melted, your dog died, your horse burned alive, you look like hell and your life has been destroyed. Can you tell us how you feel about that?"

Civilize the mind, but make savage the body.

- Chinese proverb
Quote Reply
Re: Explosion on 42nd St. [Duffy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You should start your own news channel.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
sphere wrote:

News is reporting that it was an unintentional or malfunctioned explosion of a pipe bomb. The guy who attempted to detonate was injured and is in custody. About 3 or 4 others injured (non-life threatening). Not as bad as it could have been.

Slowguy

(insert pithy phrase here...)
Quote Reply
Re: Explosion on 42nd St. [Old Hickory] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Old Hickory wrote:

I’m actually considering starting a daily newspaper. :)

- Chinese proverb
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Duffy wrote:
Old Hickory wrote:

I’m actually considering starting a daily newspaper. :)

#fakenews

#preemptivestrike

"The right to party is a battle we have fought, but we'll surrender and go Amish... NOT!" -Wayne Campbell
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
big kahuna wrote:
sphere wrote:

Some papers are reporting a "massive explosion" and a "running stampede" at the Manhattan's main bus station, other reports are saying in the subway. As always, initial reports may be inaccurate.

I come through there every morning. People were moving in a stampede-like manner out of the subway, and most had no idea why. It was mob-mentality. Someone started running panicked, and the masses followed.

I talk to myself because mine are the only answers I'll accept - George Carlin
Quote Reply
Re: Explosion on 42nd St. [slowguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
slowguy wrote:
sphere wrote:

News is reporting that it was an unintentional or malfunctioned explosion of a pipe bomb. The guy who attempted to detonate was injured and is in custody. About 3 or 4 others injured (non-life threatening). Not as bad as it could have been.

The suspect is reportedly from Bangladesh, any bets how long until Trump adds Bangladesh to his list travel ban countries?

http://newyork.cbslocal.com/...rity-terror-suspect/

"The suspect has been identified as Akayed Ullah, 27, who was wearing an improvised explosive device, Police Commissioner James O’Neill said... Ullah is from Bangladesh and had been living in Brooklyn."

--------------------------
The secret of a long life is you try not to shorten it.
-Nobody
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Watch a live TV newscast and you'll see TV news "journalist" frantically viewing their smartphones for the latest Twitter and/or Instagram reporting.

It really helps to be a skeptic during these fake news times.
Quote Reply
Re: Explosion on 42nd St. [Tatonka] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Our 25 year old daughter used to pass through there at least twice a day when she worked near Bryant Park. Thankfully, she's working in Flatiron now around 22nd & Broadway. She sent us a text at 7:50am this morning that there was an explosion in the PA, but she was okay and not near there. Similar to the text we received on Halloween after the truck attack.

Her career is on rocket fuel and we're proud of her, but we can't help wishing she'd come back to the Louisville area where this kind of stuff just doesn't happen.

Lifeguard: "Do you need help?" Me: "No, that's just my butterfly."
Quote Reply
Re: Explosion on 42nd St. [TriHard Indiana] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Usually when something happens in the city I send a text to my wife letting her know I'm nowhere near there.

This morning I was in the midst of people hurrying out of PA (still not knowing what happened) and I got a text from my mother. She said 'are you ok? anywhere near PA?'. That was how I found out what happened (or at least that there was an explosion).

I think the biggest mess was Penn Station. With the subways not running and cops at every exit, people were crammed in there like sardines not knowing where to go.

I talk to myself because mine are the only answers I'll accept - George Carlin
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
TriHard Indiana wrote:
Our 25 year old daughter used to pass through there at least twice a day when she worked near Bryant Park. Thankfully, she's working in Flatiron now around 22nd & Broadway. She sent us a text at 7:50am this morning that there was an explosion in the PA, but she was okay and not near there. Similar to the text we received on Halloween after the truck attack.

Her career is on rocket fuel and we're proud of her, but we can't help wishing she'd come back to the Louisville area where this kind of stuff just doesn't happen.

"Doesn't happen AT PRESENT." It will, sooner or later. Sadly, only a matter of time.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
sphere wrote:

I sure hope this fellow didn't come here on one of those green card lottery thingies. If he did, that'll pretty much spell its end. And he just gave the Orange-Haired Wonder a big old stick that he'll use to bludgeon into senselessness any opponents of his upcoming immigration reform plans.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply

- Chinese proverb
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
TriHard Indiana wrote:

If you make any decisions in your life (or encourage others to make decisions on theirs), based on the threat of this kind of event then you have a severe misunderstanding of statistics.

I lived in London when the IRA was still setting off bombs and I walk through Penn Station twice a day, and I have never felt at threat in the slightest. Your daughter will not be the victim of a terrorist attack. She is far more likely to be hit by a vehicle crossing the street looking at her phone. Now that you should warn her about, because I see dozens of people doing it every day in NYC.
Quote Reply
Re: Explosion on 42nd St. [Kay Serrar] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Kay Serrar wrote:
TriHard Indiana wrote:

If you make any decisions in your life (or encourage others to make decisions on theirs), based on the threat of this kind of event then you have a severe misunderstanding of statistics.

I lived in London when the IRA was still setting off bombs and I walk through Penn Station twice a day, and I have never felt at threat in the slightest. Your daughter will not be the victim of a terrorist attack. She is far more likely to be hit by a vehicle crossing the street looking at her phone. Now that you should warn her about, because I see dozens of people doing it every day in NYC.

I get what you're saying, but I think it misses the point a little bit.

Firstly, not everyone (in fact I'd say nobody) makes all their decisions in life based on statistics.

Secondly, the fact that the risk of being hurt in a terror attack is statistically small doesn't mean there aren't ways to make that risk smaller. While you're correct that the risk is small, TriHard Indy is probably right as well - the risk is probably even lower in Louisville than it is in Penn Station.

The question is whether you let that small risk affect big decisions like where you live or how you get to work. I lived in England when the IRA was still bombing stuff as well, and I often take public transportation in to work in Boston. Unlike you, I felt/feel the risk in both situations - it's hard not to recognize the risk exists when you couldn't find a trash can in many train stations or public squares (annoyance I routinely ran into in certain parts of England where there was a fear of bombs being left in them), or when I see law enforcement in body armor on the subway platforms on high risk days like the Boston Marathon. I just choose to live with that risk because as you note, it's pretty small from a statistical perspective.
Quote Reply
Re: Explosion on 42nd St. [Kay Serrar] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Kay Serrar wrote:
TriHard Indiana wrote:

I know all that, I'm just a dad who's concerned over the safety of his daughter. My wife and I keep our concerns between us and remain our daughter's biggest cheerleaders. It doesn't keep us from visiting the city several times a year. It's impossible (at least for me) to simply "shrug-off" these occurrences as statistical outliers when you've got loved ones there.

Lifeguard: "Do you need help?" Me: "No, that's just my butterfly."
Last edited by: TriHard Indiana: Dec 11, 17 9:29
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
big kahuna wrote:
sphere wrote:

I sure hope this fellow didn't come here on one of those green card lottery thingies. If he did, that'll pretty much spell its end. And he just gave the Orange-Haired Wonder a big old stick that he'll use to bludgeon into senselessness any opponents of his upcoming immigration reform plans.

Looks like he came here on what's informally called a "chain migration visa." The F43 visa he obtained was a "nephew visa," for the under-21 child of a person getting a green card because he/she is the sibling (F41 visa) of a US citizen.

I'll say it again: are you KIDDING me?

What's the point of having any defined immigration system at all if we're passing out these sorts of permissions for foreign nationals to come on in and make themselves at home as they'd like?

Mark Krikorian on Twitter: "The Bangladeshi jihadist came on what amounts to a "nephew visa" - F43 visa, for the under-21 child of a person getting a green card because… https://t.co/rJXO6l4b0h"

Edited to add:

He came here from Bangladesh (and I know there's a crying need for Bangladeshis to come here and do God-knows-what jobs that we Americans won't do for ourselves ;-) with his visa on February 23, 2011.

NYC blast suspect Akayed Ullah aimed to avenge Muslim deaths, sources say - NBC News

Last edited by: big kahuna: Dec 11, 17 19:40
Quote Reply
Re: Explosion on 42nd St. [mck414] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The suspect is reportedly from Bangladesh, any bets how long until Trump adds Bangladesh to his list travel ban countries?

My bet is that it will take as long as it does for Trump to find out what a Bangladesh is and where someone could locate it on a map. Then the whack-a-mole strategy may commence.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Duffy wrote:

Right on cue: ;-)

White House calls for immigration reform after NYC terror attack.

Quote Reply
Re: Explosion on 42nd St. [Sanuk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Sanuk wrote:

My bet is that it will take as long as it does for Trump to find out what a Bangladesh is and where someone could locate it on a map. Then the whack-a-mole strategy may commence.

This looks like some people from that area.

Quote Reply