Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Oh that car hit you? Here’s a ticket for not activating the crosswalk lights
Quote | Reply
Adding insult to (literal) injury is just how we roll in Canada.

http://www.ctvnews.ca/...ing-button-1.3715199

How does Danny Hart sit down with balls that big?
Quote Reply
Re: Oh that car hit you? Here’s a ticket for not activating the crosswalk lights [BLeP] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Good, the idea that a pedestrian should have right of way over a 5000 lb hurtling object is just stupid.
Quote Reply
Re: Oh that car hit you? Here’s a ticket for not activating the crosswalk lights [BLeP] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
This is ALMOST California stupid. Almost.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
BLeP wrote:

People are idiots, and walk out into the street all the time without looking, or against the lights, or with their heads buried in their phones. Pay attention and cross with the light, or risk getting hit.

Slowguy

(insert pithy phrase here...)
Quote Reply
Re: Oh that car hit you? Here’s a ticket for not activating the crosswalk lights [slowguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
slowguy wrote:
BLeP wrote:

People are idiots, and walk out into the street all the time without looking, or against the lights, or with their heads buried in their phones. Pay attention and cross with the light, or risk getting hit.

Yes obviously. I think he learned his lesson though. Was the ticket necessary?

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
BLeP wrote:
Was the ticket necessary?

No
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
A few years ago, a 5-foot-nothing, 90 something year old polish lady who is a close family friend got a ticket for taking too long to cross the street at a downtown intersection. I guess she started walking as or right before the light went from "walk" to a warning countdown and made it around half way through the intersection before the opposing light turned green. The officer's argument was that she started crossing during the countdown, and should have waited for the next light, and was holding up traffic.

It was a Sunday afternoon, there were maybe 2 cars waiting to get through the light (both of which made it after she made the crossing) so no harm was done, and there happened to be a reporter for the local paper walking by that saw the whole thing go down, so the reporter went up and interviewed her and the story made a big splash in the local news.

This little old polish firecracker absolutely tore a strip off the officer in her interview that went in the local paper. Something like "Who trained this simple person? He should have been helping me cross the road, not giving me a $200 ticket. Even in nazi occupied Krakow, the SS never gave me a ticket for something so stupid!" It was pretty funny. Anyways, she had to go to court to fight the ticket, the courtroom was packed due to the news getting involved... and the officer didn't show. Pussy.

Long Chile was a silly place.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If you were the driver of the car you would hope they get cited, much harder to recover from you.

I'm beginning to think that we are much more fucked than I thought.
Quote Reply
Re: Oh that car hit you? Here’s a ticket for not activating the crosswalk lights [JD21] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
We have plenty of stupid to share here in SD. A co-worker gets hit by car while on his bike. He is unconscious, ambu arrives before copsand is transported to Hosp, cop takes statement from lady that hit him. Charges co worker with leaving the scene of an accident. Yes, it was dropped, but still, a charge of leaving the scene.....
Quote Reply
Re: Oh that car hit you? Here’s a ticket for not activating the crosswalk lights [windywave] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
windywave wrote:
BLeP wrote:
Was the ticket necessary?

No

If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went. - Will Rogers

Emery's Third Coast Triathlon | Tri Wisconsin Triathlon Team | Push Endurance | GLWR
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
BLeP wrote:
slowguy wrote:
BLeP wrote:

If someone were in a car and pulled out in front of a freight train gets hit and survives, should they get a ticket? Sort of the same thing, also just because as a pedestrian we have the right of way doesn't mean we're going to win the collision.
Quote Reply
Re: Oh that car hit you? Here’s a ticket for not activating the crosswalk lights [j p o] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
j p o wrote:
If you were the driver of the car you would hope they get cited, much harder to recover from you.

That's what I was thinking.

Don't know about Canada, but here, a properly issued citation can accomplishes two things. First, it establishes a record form a relatively independent party as to who was at fault, and second, if not contested or if contested and lost, the fault determination can be binding.
Quote Reply
Re: Oh that car hit you? Here’s a ticket for not activating the crosswalk lights [AlanShearer] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
There's the difference between our two countries...

If a Canadian gets hit by a car because they walked when they weren't supposed to they would feel stupid and probably apologize to everyone involved.

An American will call a lawyer.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
BLeP wrote:
slowguy wrote:
BLeP wrote:

The ticket wasn't necessary, but that has nothing to do with whether he learned something by being hit.

Getting hit by a car when you walk into the street is a cause and effect issue you should learn from for your personal understanding of risk/reward. Getting a ticket is a separate risk/reward issue, and is pertinent to society enforcing its laws. You don't escape the legal rconsequences of your actions just because something bad happened to you while you were breaking the law.

Slowguy

Quote Reply
Re: Oh that car hit you? Here’s a ticket for not activating the crosswalk lights [slowguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
slowguy wrote:
BLeP wrote:
slowguy wrote:
BLeP wrote:

The ticket wasn't necessary, but that has nothing to do with whether he learned something by being hit.

Getting hit by a car when you walk into the street is a cause and effect issue you should learn from for your personal understanding of risk/reward. Getting a ticket is a separate risk/reward issue, and is pertinent to society enforcing its laws. You don't escape the legal consequences of your actions just because something bad happened to you while you were breaking the law.

Sometimes I am convinced that you are a robot.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
BLeP wrote:
slowguy wrote:
BLeP wrote:
slowguy wrote:
BLeP wrote:

Getting hit by a car when you walk into the street is a cause and effect issue you should learn from for your personal understanding of risk/reward. Getting a ticket is a separate risk/reward issue, and is pertinent to society enforcing its laws. You don't escape the legal consequences of your actions just because something bad happened to you while you were breaking the law.

Sometimes I am convinced that you are a robot.

Sometimes I am convinced you're not really looking for any discussion, just reinforcement of your existing opinion.

Slowguy

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply

Why should being injured absolve you from your legal obligations? If a drunk driver crashed their car into a tree or into your front wall and broke their arm, should they be let off?

What degree of personal injury (other than death!) becomes the line in the sand for being let off? I suppose even in death there may be a need to sue an estate?

Edit: having not read through I see you’ve been bombarded with sufficient ‘if’ scenarios.
Last edited by: mv2005: Dec 11, 17 14:21
Quote Reply
Re: Oh that car hit you? Here’s a ticket for not activating the crosswalk lights [mv2005] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
mv2005 wrote:

Why should being injured absolve you from your legal obligations? If a drunk driver crashed their car into a tree or into your front wall and broke their arm, should they be let off?

What degree of personal injury (other than death!) becomes the line in the sand for being let off? I suppose even in death there may be a need to sue an estate?

Edit: having not read through I see you’ve been bombarded with sufficient ‘if’ scenarios.

You’re comparing not pressing a button with drunk driving.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
BLeP wrote:
mv2005 wrote:

You’re comparing not pressing a button with drunk driving.

Ok so then if they stepped into the road and a car swerved to avoid and side swiped another car, or hit a light pole and a passenger was injured. Then what?

Again my belief is that whether the pedestrian was injured or not is irrelevant.
Quote Reply