Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

BMC TM02 eTAP / to upgrade or not?
Quote | Reply
Currently riding a BMC TM02 M/L (old model) equipped w/ SRAM eTAP, Syntace Stratos basebar & Syntace C3 aerobars.

The bike feels fine, ride quality ,while fairly harsh, is pretty good overall. Shifting on the eTap is just a delight.
I know, there probably isn't a reason to upgrade the frame / bike. However, I'm - as a lot of people on here - a bike geek, always looking out for new materials, equipment and bikes ;)

Having done my Iron distance debut this year, I plan to do a 70.3 (or two) next year.

If I was to upgrade my bike, I'll be looking for a bike with:
  • Lots of adjustability and ease of use (e.g. for travel)
  • Storage options (e.g. Bento Box) and top tube bosses
  • Easy to adjust brakes (argh, the rear brake is killing me on my timemachine)

Any ideas / recommendations?
Quote Reply
Re: BMC TM02 eTAP / to upgrade or not? [basti89] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I've ridden the old model TM01 (mechanical) since 2012. It's a great bike and I do not consider the ride to be harsh. I travel with my bike a lot and would love something a little easier to pack ... which is why I'm looking at the new TM01. The ability to remove the entire cockpit with just a few bolts is ingenious and makes it probably the absolute best bike on the market for ease of travel. It does have a bento box with bosses, but I don't know if they've made the rear brake easier to work on. The other bike I'm looking at is the QR PR6 - also known for easy maintenance and travel.

I had a bike fit yesterday by a very experienced fitter. He noted that the manufacturers online geometry charts are insufficient and will contact each to get additional information before he provides me his professional opinion on which is the better bike for me.
Quote Reply
Re: BMC TM02 eTAP / to upgrade or not? [HuffNPuff] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Any more recommendations? How about the Tririg Omni or Ventum One?
Quote Reply
Re: BMC TM02 eTAP / to upgrade or not? [basti89] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The Ventum is a heavy bike. While fast it was last place in the independent areo testing published on ST in Jun. I don't use liquid bladders, and most important it is ugly.

Re TriRig...folks here have written about quality issues.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Ventum is only good when it comes to crosswinds because of the lack of down tube.
At the end, just go with what fits you the best and wheat you can get the best deal on. Alot of the Traditional looking super bikes like the Felt IA and Specialized Shiv is still ridiculously fast compared to some newer bikes even though it is an outdated frame.
Your body position causes the most amount of drag. If you really want to go with the BMC Timemachine, go with the Ultegra one instead of the eTap one and then go for an aero test with Alpha mantis. The Mavic CXR vs the Zipps is only a difference of less than 5 watts, you will save even more watts with the aero test.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
HuffNPuff wrote:
The Ventum is a heavy bike. While fast it was last place in the independent areo testing published on ST in Jun. I don't use liquid bladders, and most important it is ugly.

Re TriRig...folks here have written about quality issues.

Redo the aero test and make all bikes carry 2 bottles and I bet the results change.

Ventum is lighter than a P5-X.

Make Inside Out Sports your next online tri shop! http://www.insideoutsports.com/
Last edited by: BryanD: Dec 23, 17 7:41
Quote Reply
Re: BMC TM02 eTAP / to upgrade or not? [BryanD] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Don't want that one or any beam bike. Takes a lot of carbon layup to get the stiffness back when you eliminate the downtube. These are great bikes ... just not for me.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Ventum doesn’t have a liquid bladder or whatever that means. It’s a bottle that holds 2 water bottles.

Make Inside Out Sports your next online tri shop! http://www.insideoutsports.com/
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
That would be a bladder. I am a bottle toss and replace guy. No refilling while biking. Keep it simple!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
A bladder is soft and flexible. The Shiv has a bladder. The Ventum has a bottle. Tossing bottles is old school.

Last edited by: BryanD: Dec 23, 17 16:37
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
BryanD wrote:
A bladder is soft and flexible. The Shiv has a bladder. The Ventum has a bottle. Tossing bottles is old school.

When I see someone on a Ventum toss what you call a bottle then, and only then, will I call it a bottle. Either way, it is a hassle I don't need.
Quote Reply