Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

~8.5 months enough time to train for an ironman?
Quote | Reply
Hi everyone,

I was wondering if you guys think ~8.5 months is enough time to train for an ironman? I have done triathlons before. But I am fairly fit, I have recently ran 2 back-to-back marathons. So my fitness/endurance base level is there. Also, I never have done a HIM either. So my plan is to do a HIM around late April/early June, and then a IM in Sept. Do you guys think this will be enough time for me to train for an ironman?

Also, what is a popular IM training plan?
Quote Reply
Re: ~8.5 months enough time to train for an ironman? [Tri_ing_it_out] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
That's plenty of time, especially since you are in shape and aren't having to learn to swim. Also a HIM is not necessary if you get good training in before the IM. They are such different races, that day would probably be better spent on a big brick workout.

Oui, mais pas de femme toute de suite (yes, but I am not ready for a woman straight away) -Stephen Roche's reply when asked whether he was okay after collapsing at the finish in the La Plagne stage of the 1987 Tour
Quote Reply
Re: ~8.5 months enough time to train for an ironman? [Tri_ing_it_out] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
With a fitness background absolutely yes that's enough time. Even without a fitness background the answer would probably be a yes.

Sounds like you got the run down. Extend the bike rides gradually to 100 miles and do a whole series of 100 mile bike rides going into the IM with the last one 2 or 3 weeks before the race. How's your swim background?
Quote Reply
Re: ~8.5 months enough time to train for an ironman? [Dilbert] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Dilbert wrote:
With a fitness background absolutely yes that's enough time. Even without a fitness background the answer would probably be a yes.

Sounds like you got the run down. Extend the bike rides gradually to 100 miles and do a whole series of 100 mile bike rides going into the IM with the last one 2 or 3 weeks before the race. How's your swim background?

I am am an ok swimmer. I would say im above a beginner and like low to mid tier intermediate swimmer. I think the more practice i get into open water, the better ill get.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
yes

Eliot
blog thing - strava thing
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Just stay in decent shape. Completing an Ironman is not that hard no matter what some want to say. Have a life, unless doing this is putting food on your table.

Dave Campbell | Facebook | @DaveECampbell | h2ofun@h2ofun.net

Boom Nutrition code 19F4Y3 $5 off 24 pack box | Bionic Runner | PowerCranks | Velotron | Spruzzamist

Lions don't lose sleep worrying about the sheep
Quote Reply
Re: ~8.5 months enough time to train for an ironman? [h2ofun] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
yes

Yellowfin Endurance Coaching and Bike Fits
USAT Level 1, USAC Level 3
Quote Reply
Re: ~8.5 months enough time to train for an ironman? [h2ofun] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
h2ofun wrote:
Just stay in decent shape. Completing an Ironman is not that hard no matter what some want to say. Have a life, unless doing this is putting food on your table.

Hell.....I have to agree (somewhat). Completing an ironman is not that hard.

The training......to make race day seem "not that hard".....is hard.
Quote Reply
Re: ~8.5 months enough time to train for an ironman? [nc452010] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
nc452010 wrote:
h2ofun wrote:

Hell.....I have to agree (somewhat). Completing an ironman is not that hard.

The training......to make race day seem "not that hard".....is hard.

yep

Dave Campbell | Facebook | @DaveECampbell | h2ofun@h2ofun.net

Boom Nutrition code 19F4Y3 $5 off 24 pack box | Bionic Runner | PowerCranks | Velotron | Spruzzamist

Lions don't lose sleep worrying about the sheep
Quote Reply