Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Slowman, can we have a forum for those 55+? [devashish_paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have two tri-bikes, one with 170mm cranks and the other with 172.5mm. I've always felt the one with short cranks fits a little better although I perform well on either. I had my first bike fit in 4.5 years this weekend with a very experienced fitter who confirmed for me that 170mm is my best option. So 170mm for the win without a half year of "testing."
Quote Reply
Re: Slowman, can we have a forum for those 55+? [NealH] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
NealH wrote:
I do not favor a 55+ forum because I think there would be quite a bit of duplication, and I am afraid that, as in in other bike and/or exercise forums for the older set, there would be way too many posts are about medical problems and issues, such as my lower back hurts, I have a pain in my ass what should I do about it, my heart is pitter patting, my knee hurts do I need a replacement, my hip flexor hurts, broke my collarbone when can I swim, etc, etc. If you got a medical problem, go to medical forum. Or better yet, go to your doctor. A triathlete forum should focus on triathlete exercises, performance, news stories, rules, equipment, etc. I just don't see the need for age group forum separations. Just my opinion.

Good points. Duplication is an issue. I agree with your reasons.

As older triathletes, we do tend to be going through changes/injuries and for different reasons than the younger athletes. We seem to run up against problems at a quicker rate and for different reasons and our resolution or work around for the problem might not be pertinent to younger triathletes.

Managing to a lower and lower heart rate, for example, is a unique problem for us.

Also the way we address one another within our age group is part for the reason for a 55+ group.

Indoor Triathlete - I thought I was right, until I realized I was wrong.
Quote Reply
Re: Slowman, can we have a forum for those 55+? [devashish_paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
devashish_paul wrote:
JasoninHalifax wrote:
Felt_Rider wrote:
If let's say there is this guy who is 54 1/2 and he doesn't want to be found guilty of posting outside his AG and he employs let's say a banned ST member that happens to be 55 to post for him. Is that acceptable or is that skirting the thread rules?

asking for a friend

54 1/2 is a Catholic 55. So your "friend" is OK.

Under USAT rules if the guy is 54.5 on June 30th and will be 55.0 on Dec 31, then as far as USAT cares that person is 55. So I would think this would allow for posting in the old guy forum. Can we move all crank length testing threads to that forum too or do we just force everyone on that forum to use 175's? No 165's no 200's....everyone on 175's and call it done!

135's

Dave Campbell | Facebook | @DaveECampbell | h2ofun@h2ofun.net

Boom Nutrition code 19F4Y3 $5 off 24 pack box | Bionic Runner | PowerCranks | Velotron | Spruzzamist

Lions don't lose sleep worrying about the sheep
Quote Reply
Re: Slowman, can we have a forum for those 55+? [RandMart] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
hahahaha or jajajaja (en espanol)

Your cartoons on older men in the locker room are so true. It's like the older guys don't care and the younger ones still are in middle school gym class locker room mode.

Well, when you don't feel like you are going to be long for this world, maybe one does lose some inhibitions.

Quote Reply
Re: Slowman, can we have a forum for those 55+? [Felt_Rider] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Felt_Rider wrote:
If let's say there is this guy who is 54 1/2 and he doesn't want to be found guilty of posting outside his AG and he employs let's say a banned ST member that happens to be 55 to post for him. Is that acceptable or is that skirting the thread rules?

asking for a friend

Only if you/they are caught. Not as serious as trying to buy alcohol when underage or selling it to someone underage. I guess we will find out when it happens. Until then please be discreet.

Last edited by: IT: Dec 11, 17 8:01
Quote Reply
Re: Slowman, can we have a forum for those 55+? [IT] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Isn't that what the AARP is for? ;-)
Quote Reply
Re: Slowman, can we have a forum for those 55+? [HuffNPuff] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
HuffNPuff wrote:
I have two tri-bikes, one with 170mm cranks and the other with 172.5mm. I've always felt the one with short cranks fits a little better although I perform well on either. I had my first bike fit in 4.5 years this weekend with a very experienced fitter who confirmed for me that 170mm is my best option. So 170mm for the win without a half year of "testing."

No you're gonna need a 20,000 post thread on this forum for us to decide if 170's or 172.5's is perfect for you before you get to decide. But aren't you supposed to post that in the 60+ thread. Meanwhile, I am 2 years early crashing this thread, but I'm originally from Quebec and we were allowed to buy alcohol at age 18 vs 21, so I am carrying my 3 year Quebec "early entry" card over here.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
devashish_paul wrote:
No you're gonna need a 20,000 post thread on this forum for us to decide if 170's or 172.5's is perfect for you before you get to decide. But aren't you supposed to post that in the 60+ thread. Meanwhile, I am 2 years early crashing this thread, but I'm originally from Quebec and we were allowed to buy alcohol at age 18 vs 21, so I am carrying my 3 year Quebec "early entry" card over here.

Pretty sure its going to be near impossible to have a serious crank length discussion for a little while. :-)

Are you saying the Canadians wait until it is legal to purchase alcohol to begin drinking it? Cuz...yeah, we don't do that down here in Texas.
Quote Reply
Re: Slowman, can we have a forum for those 55+? [Tom_hampton] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
"Canadians wait until it is legal to purchase alcohol to begin drinking it"

hahahahahahahahaha

good one....wait til its legal....oh boy you crack me up, that's a good one... wait til legal... pffftt

Swimming Workout of the Day:

Favourite Swim Sets:

2020 National Masters Champion - M50-54 - 50m Butterfly
Quote Reply
Re: Slowman, can we have a forum for those 55+? [h2ofun] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
h2ofun wrote:
devashish_paul wrote:
JasoninHalifax wrote:
Felt_Rider wrote:

asking for a friend

Under USAT rules if the guy is 54.5 on June 30th and will be 55.0 on Dec 31, then as far as USAT cares that person is 55. So I would think this would allow for posting in the old guy forum. Can we move all crank length testing threads to that forum too or do we just force everyone on that forum to use 175's? No 165's no 200's....everyone on 175's and call it done!

135's

When did you go to 135's? I say you go back to 175's and call it done! (I must have said that around the first page on that other thread)!!!!
Quote Reply
Re: Slowman, can we have a forum for those 55+? [IT] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
sLowTwitch?
Quote Reply
Re: Slowman, can we have a forum for those 55+? [Bruizer] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Bruizer wrote:
Isn't that what the AARP is for? ;-)

AARP does give discounts...

Haven't seen anything about triathlon in AARP yet.

Quote Reply
Re: Slowman, can we have a forum for those 55+? [Titanflexr] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Titanflexr wrote:
sLowTwitch?

I think; but not sure I get your joke/innuendo.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
devashish_paul wrote:
HuffNPuff wrote:

Dev,

I may start on serious (really) thread on crank length about my take on it.

1) It has something to do with mass as much or more than height. A more massive rider might handle a longer crank more easily than a less massive rider.

2) Crank length as it pertains to age/ability could allow us to step down/descend into a more comfortable mode as we lose hip flexor ability, etc. So I don't recommend the Dave goes right to the shortest available. Once he is at the shortest length and then has a problem, what are we going to do?

You are right about your current suggestion to Dave on crank length.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
devashish_paul wrote:
h2ofun wrote:
devashish_paul wrote:
JasoninHalifax wrote:
Felt_Rider wrote:

asking for a friend

135's

When did you go to 135's? I say you go back to 175's and call it done! (I must have said that around the first page on that other thread)!!!!

I havent gone anywhere, just testing. So far have tried 145's. Waiting for parts for shorter.

So far really like the 150's. I have yet to find anything negative really with shorter. And since so many say shorter gives one better bike fit, if the numbers are the same or better,
why not go "real" short. Unless I find a negative, I would probably try my first race on something short. Will only be one way to put an end to this testing.

Dave Campbell | Facebook | @DaveECampbell | h2ofun@h2ofun.net

Boom Nutrition code 19F4Y3 $5 off 24 pack box | Bionic Runner | PowerCranks | Velotron | Spruzzamist

Lions don't lose sleep worrying about the sheep
Quote Reply

Prev Next