Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Sex Harassment Revelations (Big) Downside: Fewer Women Will Be Hired
Quote | Reply
When every accusation is believed, and when an accusation can ruin a career, why run the risk? I know a lot of hiring managers and their employers will be thinking the same thing, sad to say. It's just like punishing the victim. For being the damn victim. SMH.

Congress reeling from sexual harassment deluge.

"Congressional leaders are struggling to get ahead of the wave of sexual harassment allegations that are engulfing their institution.

With no clear roadmap for how to deal with such topics, House Speaker Paul Ryan (R-Wis.), House Minority Leader Nancy Pelosi (D-Calif.) and other leaders are responding to the allegations on a case-by-case basis — and on the fly.

The stream of public revelations has put leaders in a pressure cooker. Immediately after allegations surface, they face pressure to forge quick judgments about the credibility of the allegations and the severity of the misconduct, often while relying on reports from anonymous accusers.

The makeshift method has led to swift calls for resignation for some members and a messy, painful, drawn-out process for others. "

"Politics is just show business for ugly people."
Quote Reply
Re: Sex Harassment Revelations (Big) Downside: Fewer Women Will Be Hired [big kahuna] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
   or maybe more voting for women because they don't have a penis...
-
https://video.search.yahoo.com/...f15&action=click
-

edit to add that I work in a large corporate environment, and the atmosphere is already one in which you expect management to believe anything a female or minority says over what the male/white argues. So I don't see much change in this type of workplace. Also, there is already an HR person in every interview for a position in my dept, so you'd better have a damn good reason if you plan to pass on an applicant from one of the protected classes. My take is it's just one way that congress may have to act and live by the same rules as the rest of us. Not on his to do list, but for this I think we probably can actually thank the harasser in chief!
Last edited by: dave_w: Dec 9, 17 11:05
Quote Reply
Re: Sex Harassment Revelations (Big) Downside: Fewer Women Will Be Hired [big kahuna] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
By that way of thinking it could also be solved by not hiring men.

I'm beginning to think that we are much more fucked than I thought.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I mentioned this very thing in one of the first threads about this subject, oh, a month or so ago.

I got flamed.

IIRC I said that this shit would end up hurting women in the end because the easiest way to avoid a sex harassment lawsuit would be to simply not hire any women.

Fortunately for me there simply aren’t any women wanting to do the work that I do.

Civilize the mind, but make savage the body.

- Chinese proverb
Last edited by: Duffy: Dec 9, 17 11:20
Quote Reply
Re: Sex Harassment Revelations (Big) Downside: Fewer Women Will Be Hired [j p o] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
j p o wrote:

That would be an elegant solution as well. Hopefully, there's some happy medium in all this, and EVERYONE CAN ACT LIKE ADULTS about this stuff.

Sadly, what are the chances of that happening?

Quote Reply
Re: Sex Harassment Revelations (Big) Downside: Fewer Women Will Be Hired [j p o] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
j p o wrote:

Except that little problem of all those jobs that women just won’t do.

- Chinese proverb
Quote Reply
Re: Sex Harassment Revelations (Big) Downside: Fewer Women Will Be Hired [dave_w] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
dave_w wrote:
-
-

^^^^^^^^^^THIS^^^^^^^^^^

"Can Michigan afford to have a female Governor, Attorney General, and Secretary of State?" This begs the question and personally galls me no end. In the century of women's right to vote, nobody asked this question about having men in the same office. My gender represents 52% of the population; it's about damn time we flexed our collective intellectual power with the vote.

DFL > DNF > DNS
Quote Reply
Re: Sex Harassment Revelations (Big) Downside: Fewer Women Will Be Hired [SallyShortyPnts] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm not what was more chauvanistic, the idea of an all woman Democratic ticket being bad or her sexist rants about men and inappropriate behaviour. Do we need to remind her of all of the paedophile female school teachers?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Just a few thoughts
umm you know that sexual harassment does not just go in one direction.
* I think you are wrong. there are already too many women in the work force, that have positions of power
* In addition, the whisper society that enables this stuff to go on is changing. People are not being shamed into silence
* By not hiring based only on a persons sex, is also going to cost a business a lot of money as well???

How about we realize that unacceptable behavior is wrong, and stop enabling those who do it.

2017 Cervelo P2
2017 Cervelo S2
itraininla.com
#itraininla
Quote Reply
Re: Sex Harassment Revelations (Big) Downside: Fewer Women Will Be Hired [racin_rusty] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
racin_rusty wrote:
I'm not what was more chauvanistic, the idea of an all woman Democratic ticket being bad or her sexist rants about men and inappropriate behaviour. Do we need to remind her of all of the paedophile female school teachers?

Yes you do need to remind me of the 1/1000 of 1% paedophile women school teachers. I live in the world of the 99.999%; I definitely do not identify as a 1%'er.

Being concerned that women are being held down and back by speaking up against injustice is simply ludicrous. You are arguing for the status quo of white men in power; I opt for inclusion of all genders, and sexual orientations to have a shot at employment, housing, and happiness.

BTW, if Duffy has a job that women will not do, then this is a moot argument Women can't lose a job that they are unwilling to do in the first place.

DFL > DNF > DNS
Quote Reply
Re: Sex Harassment Revelations (Big) Downside: Fewer Women Will Be Hired [SallyShortyPnts] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
SallyShortyPnts wrote:
dave_w wrote:
-
-

^^^^^^^^^^THIS^^^^^^^^^^

"Can Michigan afford to have a female Governor, Attorney General, and Secretary of State?" This begs the question and personally galls me no end. In the century of women's right to vote, nobody asked this question about having men in the same office. My gender represents 52% of the population; it's about damn time we flexed our collective intellectual power with the vote.

How about voting for people based on qualifications, positions on issues and moral character rather than things that don’t have any bearing in those qualities (like gender).

- Chinese proverb
Quote Reply
Re: Sex Harassment Revelations (Big) Downside: Fewer Women Will Be Hired [dave_w] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
dave_w wrote:
-

Men are now a liability and woman are an asset. That's not sexist at all.
Quote Reply
Re: Sex Harassment Revelations (Big) Downside: Fewer Women Will Be Hired [Duffy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Duffy wrote:
SallyShortyPnts wrote:
dave_w wrote:
-
-

^^^^^^^^^^THIS^^^^^^^^^^

How about voting for people based on qualifications, positions on issues and moral character rather than things that don’t have any bearing in those qualities (like gender).

Then what would they do with all the hats?

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
big kahuna wrote:
j p o wrote:

That would be an elegant solution as well. Hopefully, there's some happy medium in all this, and EVERYONE CAN ACT LIKE ADULTS about this stuff.

Sadly, what are the chances of that happening?

That's just crazy talk.

I have never found it all that difficult to not sexually harass people. From what I am told it is very hard to avoid.

I'm beginning to think that we are much more fucked than I thought.
Quote Reply
Re: Sex Harassment Revelations (Big) Downside: Fewer Women Will Be Hired [Duffy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Duffy wrote:

How about you quit making sense?
This is the LR after all......
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
any man in power, not just WHITE MEN.

#METOO
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Quote:
BTW, if Duffy has a job that women will not do, then this is a moot argument Women can't lose a job that they are unwilling to do in the first place.

I just find it somewhat ironic (and cute) that women claim to want equality in the workplace yet there are certain jobs that women just don’t do.

- Chinese proverb
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Duffy wrote:
..would end up hurting women in the end because the easiest way to avoid a sex harassment lawsuit would be to simply not hire any women.
Not true; it's hot women who need to be worried.
Silver lining: job prospects for homely women are about to get VERY good.
Quote Reply
Re: Sex Harassment Revelations (Big) Downside: Fewer Women Will Be Hired [spookini] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
spookini wrote:
Duffy wrote:
..would end up hurting women in the end because the easiest way to avoid a sex harassment lawsuit would be to simply not hire any women.

I don’t know, man. I’ve been looking at a lot of these accusers and I’m not seeing hot chicks.

- Chinese proverb
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
dave_w wrote:

I work in a large corporate environment, and the atmosphere is already one in which you expect management to believe anything a female or minority says over what the male/white argues. So I don't see much change in this type of workplace. Also, there is already an HR person in every interview for a position in my dept, so you'd better have a damn good reason if you plan to pass on an applicant from one of the protected classes.
I really hate the way HR Dept's have attempted to live up to their name. They want to be in charge of all "human resources", as if humans were just one more "resource" to be "managed" instead of people to be "led".

The appropriate role for HR is for themselves to be a resource for employees and managers to call upon if they choose. It is harmful for HR to inject themselves into the relationship between boss and subordinate. By sticking in their unwanted nose, they damage boss-subordinate relationships. With only good intentions, our HR department tries to "take care" of the employees so their boss's don't have to. Altho on the surface this looks nice, what it does is set up weak boss's for failure because it removes some of the incentives for the weak boss to be play a more central role in keeping their subordinate squared away and happy.

Involving themselves in the opposite direction, HR encourages employees to come to HR with their concerns re. their boss and their coworkers, INSTEAD of trying to work out the issue with boss and coworkers themselves. This makes it less likely that people in the dept will work out mutually agreeable solutions themselves. HR actively interferes with boss's learning the concerns of their subordinates, and vice versa.

Managers create workplace environments sure to get the least out of their folks. This in contrast to a leadership environment where the boss will go to great lengths to help a subordinate succeed and be happy, and the subordinates work darn hard to make the boss look good. If the spectrum of boss's range from crappy managers to strong leaders, the impact of HR is to move boss's down the performance scale a notch. Instead of being an influence that teaches and encourage boss's to be leaders, they make it harder to be a leader by interfering, and they make it easier to be a manager by encouraging the boss to hand off some leadership tasks to HR.

I've always jealously guarded the hiring process in my dept. HR's role is to hire the person that my dept collectively has decided to hire. On a personal basis, my dept is really tight with the HR folks. The HR ladies love to hang out in our area because the IT Dept is full of fun and hilarity. The HR dept brings us donuts and brownies, not unsolicited advice.

Re. hiring fewer women due to all the sexual harassment press. Every dept should be wary of hiring protected classes. Our culture has trained protected classes to assume that their status is the reason for every slight, real or imagined. That's just one of many problems with the terrible concept of protected classes.

Books @ Amazon
"If only he had used his genius for niceness, instead of Evil." M. Smart
Quote Reply
Re: Sex Harassment Revelations (Big) Downside: Fewer Women Will Be Hired [spookini] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
spookini wrote:
Duffy wrote:

Hahahahahahaha! I never thought of it that way. That's awesome! ;-)

Quote Reply
Re: Sex Harassment Revelations (Big) Downside: Fewer Women Will Be Hired [RangerGress] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
RangerGress wrote:
dave_w wrote:

I work in a large corporate environment, and the atmosphere is already one in which you expect management to believe anything a female or minority says over what the male/white argues. So I don't see much change in this type of workplace. Also, there is already an HR person in every interview for a position in my dept, so you'd better have a damn good reason if you plan to pass on an applicant from one of the protected classes.

I really hate the way HR Dept's have attempted to live up to their name. They want to be in charge of all "human resources", as if humans were just one more "resource" to be "managed" instead of people to be "led".

The appropriate role for HR is for themselves to be a resource for employees and managers to call upon if they choose. It is harmful for HR to inject themselves into the relationship between boss and subordinate. By sticking in their unwanted nose, they damage boss-subordinate relationships. With only good intentions, our HR department tries to "take care" of the employees so their boss's don't have to. Altho on the surface this looks nice, what it does is set up weak boss's for failure because it removes some of the incentives for the weak boss to be play a more central role in keeping their subordinate squared away and happy.

Involving themselves in the opposite direction, HR encourages employees to come to HR with their concerns re. their boss and their coworkers, INSTEAD of trying to work out the issue with boss and coworkers themselves. This makes it less likely that people in the dept will work out mutually agreeable solutions themselves. HR actively interferes with boss's learning the concerns of their subordinates, and vice versa.

Managers create workplace environments sure to get the least out of their folks. This in contrast to a leadership environment where the boss will go to great lengths to help a subordinate succeed and be happy, and the subordinates work darn hard to make the boss look good. If the spectrum of boss's range from crappy managers to strong leaders, the impact of HR is to move boss's down the performance scale a notch. Instead of being an influence that teaches and encourage boss's to be leaders, they make it harder to be a leader by interfering, and they make it easier to be a manager by encouraging the boss to hand off some leadership tasks to HR.

I've always jealously guarded the hiring process in my dept. HR's role is to hire the person that my dept collectively has decided to hire. On a personal basis, my dept is really tight with the HR folks. The HR ladies love to hang out in our area because the IT Dept is full of fun and hilarity. The HR dept brings us donuts and brownies, not unsolicited advice.

Re. hiring fewer women due to all the sexual harassment press. Every dept should be wary of hiring protected classes. Our culture has trained protected classes to assume that their status is the reason for every slight, real or imagined. That's just one of many problems with the terrible concept of protected classes.

Leaving aside the woman-specific talk, I've found that HR has been pushing for line authority status in organizations, and that's the movement the organized HR profession is heading up.

For various reasons, I don't think it's too wise to give the HR folks that kind of solid-line power outside their own departments. They're dotted line on the org chart and should remain that way. They're staff, in other words. They perform staff functions. They're not line leaders.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
big kahuna wrote:
When every accusation is believed, and when an accusation can ruin a career, why run the risk? I know a lot of hiring managers and their employers will be thinking the same thing, sad to say. It's just like punishing the victim. For being the damn victim. SMH.

There's a little thing called the quota system that seems to be universally favoured in western societies to make things 'fair'.
Quote Reply