Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Son getting picked on in school [jwbeuk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jwbeuk wrote:
jimatbeyond wrote:
Maybe he is getting picked on because he is in band and Boy Scouts.

Your comment may be the dumbest in this thread. I was in band, chorus and drama. I was also a four year letter winner in FB, BB and track and earned a college scholarship as a catcher in baseball. I was bulled from 6th grade through my freshman year in HS because I was in band, chorus and drama. The "cool" kids who played only sports were nasty, until I beat them out for starting positions my sophomore year. They starting leaving me alone, but I still caught some crap off the field.

You just said you got picked on for being in band, chorus, and drama until you put the bullies in their place by being good at sports.
Quote Reply
Re: Son getting picked on in school [AlanShearer] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
AlanShearer wrote:
windywave wrote:
RangerGress wrote:
mv2005 wrote:

As for the ones that were on the receiving end. If they're lucky they look back at school and say certain years weren't the best. Others might have few fond memories of school but their career may have taken a hit as a consequence. But many kids have taken their lives as a consequence of it. It's serious shit.

If your kid is getting bullied then you bring the rain on their behalf. If you suspect your own kid is bullying then you need to also clamp down on that hard. Too many lives destroyed (at times permanently) because too little was done at a time when young lives should be at their happiest, responsibility free.

If my kid was coming home in tears then I'd be calling the school and getting the other parents dragged into a meeting and gauging their level of empathy. There must be legal avenues available through civil courts that would get their attention.

I wish you luck whatever course your take. Just don't leave it to fester too long.

I don't agree. Our culture is creating weak children. As a result those children struggle with normal adversity far more than my generation did (I'm 55). Kids commit suicide not because bullying can be intolerable, but because they were too weak to tolerate it. Stamping out bullying isn't the answer. Of course that was the modern answer because by default we now shield our children from adversity, ignoring the fact that it's that very adversity that turns children into capable adults.

Bullying is as human as breathing. If the kid doesn't learn how to deal with it as a youngster, how are they going to deal with it as an adult. Because they will have to deal with it. The solution is helping kids be full of moxie and self-confidence. The kind of thing that comes with taking on challenges and wrestling each one to the ground.

Caveat. By "bullying" I mean the kind of no-account thing that objectively doesn't do you much physical harm. If some big kid hassles your kid and the latter ends up with a broken arm, that probably assault, not bullying.

Also, I'm only talking about boys. I don't know anything about girls. Other than....girls have reserves of meanness that they can wield like a weapon the likes of which no boy has any idea. Boys are simple creatures. Bullying is a shove or physical intimidation. Girls, if they so choose, can be evil incarnate and revel in the pain they create. Thank god we have no girls. I'd be helpless.

Were you the bully or the bullied?

How is that question even remotely relevant?

It may change the lense through which things are viewed.
Quote Reply
Re: Son getting picked on in school [AndysStrongAle] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
My son is a sensitive soul and we used to have a lot of meltdown problems. Putting him on the naughty step, stand in swimming teacher, loss at soccer etc could all cause horrendous episodes. He was terrible at 4 and is now 9 and a lot better. There is a book called ‘The Highly Sensitive Child’ by Elaine Aaron that helped us a lot- may well be worth a read.
Quote Reply
Re: Son getting picked on in school [j p o] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
j p o wrote:
RangerGress wrote:
I didn't deal with the bullying effectively. I was scared and as a result I was a punching bag. But I grew up in a time where kids were given lots of unsupervised time with their buddies so my peer group and I were emotionally stronger then kids today. So altho the bullying was a pita, it wasn't soul crushing.

Re. my thoughts on suicide are stupid and uninformed. Ok, lets do a thought experiment. We take 2 kids, one whom is an emotionally frail kid who takes personally anything that does not go their way. They've never accomplished much of anything their own, they've not had much experience working thru conflicts with their buddies, because parents are ever-present. The other kid led the kind of rough and tumble unsupervised childhood that was the norm for my generation. Due to the lack of helicopter parent, the 2nd kid has much more experience dealing with life's vagaries. Now we expose both these children to a equal bullying environment. It's just a hypothetical so we can do "equal". Which of these two kids will likely become more distraught due to the bullying?

Compare and contrast teen suicide rates from when you were a kid to today.

I know you mean well, but I think you are just wrong on your basic premise.
You're evading addressing my thought experiment.

So if I note that teen suicides are relatively stable, that invalidates the idea that "less sheltered" kids are emotionally stronger? I don't pretend to have a lot of insight into teen suicide, but it seems like common sense to me that kids that are emotionally stronger are better equipped to deal with life's setbacks and being harassed by their peers.

I would argue that helicopter parenting is delaying the maturation of our kids. So when they do get out of the house, they're in for a shock. https://www.campusreform.org/?ID=10254

Books @ Amazon
"If only he had used his genius for niceness, instead of Evil." M. Smart
Quote Reply
Re: Son getting picked on in school [Moonrocket] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Moonrocket wrote:
One thing that helped me as a kid and I think has helped my daughter a lot is finding activities where the children are mixed with different ages. It gives a more natural leader follower dynamic. So many activities these days are say all 4th graders - I think it’s good for kids to interact with both older and younger kids. Also gives them a wider perspective.

I was an odd, anxious kid and was picked on pretty mercilessly grades 5-7. I had been in Girl Guides (Canadian version of Girl Scouts) grades 3-4 before we moved to a new city. It seemed like a good idea to join again in Vancouver, but a lot of the bitches who made life rough in school were in my troop, and the troop leaders were pretty disinterested in general, so it wasn't an escape. In retrospect it would have been good to do something with a different group of kids, but I don't think it would have worked with everything else going on in my family at the time.

I had the opposite problem of the OP's son. I was tall for a girl which, coupled with a general geekiness, made me a bit of a target.
Quote Reply
Re: Son getting picked on in school [RangerGress] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
RangerGress wrote:

So if I note that teen suicides are relatively stable, that invalidates the idea that "less sheltered" kids are emotionally stronger? I don't pretend to have a lot of insight into teen suicide, but it seems like common sense to me that kids that are emotionally stronger are better equipped to deal with life's setbacks

Being equipped to deal with life's setbacks is a definition of emotional strength. And in the right, I dare say most, circumstances fostering self-reliance will create to emotional strength.

But none of that has one damn bit to do with suicide.
Last edited by: ajthomas: Dec 11, 17 13:16
Quote Reply
Re: Son getting picked on in school [ajthomas] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ajthomas wrote:
RangerGress wrote:

So if I note that teen suicides are relatively stable, that invalidates the idea that "less sheltered" kids are emotionally stronger? I don't pretend to have a lot of insight into teen suicide, but it seems like common sense to me that kids that are emotionally stronger are better equipped to deal with life's setbacks

Being equipped to deal with life's setbacks is a definition of emotional strength. And in the right, I dare say most, circumstances fostering self-reliance will create to emotional strength.

But none of that has one damn bit to do with suicide.
I'm talking about boys being bullied. You're the one that keeps talking about suicide, not me. The one time I brought suicide up I was just setting up a new line of attack on mv2005. I calculated that he perceived the problem to worsening so I was trying get get him to juxtapose the ideas of "more suicides" and "cultural changes in parenting". It was a debate ploy, not an attempt to make any assertions re. suicide. To make the point work, suicides didn't actually have to be in the increase, I could make the point strike his self-assurance using his perception that the problem was larger. Once one perceives a truth, they can find their own way around statistics that disagree.

Books @ Amazon
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
RangerGress wrote:
Also, I'm only talking about boys. I don't know anything about girls. Other than....girls have reserves of meanness that they can wield like a weapon the likes of which no boy has any idea. Boys are simple creatures. Bullying is a shove or physical intimidation. Girls, if they so choose, can be evil incarnate and revel in the pain they create. Thank god we have no girls. I'd be helpless.

Girls become evil in 5th grade. My daughter was a very happy-go-lucky kid until 5th. Girls are vindictive and as you stated, boys shove or something, with girls it's mostly mental and relentless. There are still things from 5th grade that bother her.

_____
TEAM HD
Each day is what you make of it so make it the best day possible.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm not so much saying "we should toughen the kids up". I'm saying that in this last eyeblink of human history we've created this small experiment in our corner of the planet. The experiment is to surround our children with cotton balls and prevent/delay them from experiencing the challenges that help turn them into strong adults. I mean things like spending all day with your buddies, w/o adult supervision, so the kid and their buddies have to figure out stuff on their own. Figure out how to cooperate, to lead, to follow, figure out how to deal with disagreements, figure out how to get home from miles away, etc. This little experiment, I'd argue, is turning our children into snowflakes.

You have been implying that kids need to toughen up or accept the consequences. Then you keep going off on this tangent about unsupervised playing being the panacea to bullying.

I roamed far and wide as a child. I was bullied on occasions. It sucked and some of it stuck with me and adversely shaped my character. My son roams free with his mates. He has also been bullied. He has been in tears. Can you explain to me how I (or my parents before me) failed, by overprotecting our children?

I don’t think anyone disagrees with you on letting your children discover certain parts of life on their own. They are disagreeing with you that we shouldn’t step in to stamp out bullying; that by doing so will result in our kids becoming snowflakes in every aspect of their lives. I see very little correlation between unsupervised playing and dealing with bullying.

The ideal solution to bullying rests with education of the parents of the bully. Though in some cases this is wishful thinking as some parents don’t give a damn. I can only speculate that it’s a lack of care, abuse or exposure to abuse that makes kids bully others, so it’s not all their fault.

The issue has become significantly worse with the advent of that scourge called social media and those wonderful devices we call mobile phones. Victims no longer have ‘safe’ zones. We have to become smarter about how we address this. No parent should out live their child.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
RangerGress wrote:
j p o wrote:
RangerGress wrote:

I didn't deal with the bullying effectively. I was scared and as a result I was a punching bag. But I grew up in a time where kids were given lots of unsupervised time with their buddies so my peer group and I were emotionally stronger then kids today. So altho the bullying was a pita, it wasn't soul crushing.

Re. my thoughts on suicide are stupid and uninformed. Ok, lets do a thought experiment. We take 2 kids, one whom is an emotionally frail kid who takes personally anything that does not go their way. They've never accomplished much of anything their own, they've not had much experience working thru conflicts with their buddies, because parents are ever-present. The other kid led the kind of rough and tumble unsupervised childhood that was the norm for my generation. Due to the lack of helicopter parent, the 2nd kid has much more experience dealing with life's vagaries. Now we expose both these children to a equal bullying environment. It's just a hypothetical so we can do "equal". Which of these two kids will likely become more distraught due to the bullying?

So if I note that teen suicides are relatively stable, that invalidates the idea that "less sheltered" kids are emotionally stronger? I don't pretend to have a lot of insight into teen suicide, but it seems like common sense to me that kids that are emotionally stronger are better equipped to deal with life's setbacks and being harassed by their peers.

I would argue that helicopter parenting is delaying the maturation of our kids. So when they do get out of the house, they're in for a shock. https://www.campusreform.org/?ID=10254

I'm not evading it. I am dismissing it because I believe it is based on a faulty premise.

You have stated repeatedly that you think kids from our generation were emotionally stronger and that kids going through these types of things makes you more immune to bullying and that sort of thing and that weak kids are the ones that kill themselves.

If kids were stronger from our generation and only weaker kids kill themselves one could reasonably expect teen suicide rates to be higher now than then. They are not. In fact, until the very recent uptick they were markedly lower.

There is also a distinct difference between helicopter parenting and paying attention to when your kid is being bullied.

I'm beginning to think that we are much more fucked than I thought.
Quote Reply
Re: Son getting picked on in school [TheRef65] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
TheRef65 wrote:
RangerGress wrote:

Girls become evil in 5th grade. My daughter was a very happy-go-lucky kid until 5th. Girls are vindictive and as you stated, boys shove or something, with girls it's mostly mental and relentless. There are still things from 5th grade that bother her.

As our boys have moved thru grade school and Jr. High, I've watched their interactions with girls of the same age. I was routinely astonished at how much more mature the girls were. After a band concert, a couple years ago, a bunch of the boys and girls wanted to go out for ice cream. The boys sat at one table and the girls sat at another. The parents kinda distanced themselves to give the kids some space. From a distance, I studied the behavior of the kids intently. I'm talking 6-8th graders. The girls were entry-level adults. The boys, our 3 among them, were complete idiots. It was fascinating.

Oh, and band is awesome.

Books @ Amazon
Last edited by: RangerGress: Dec 11, 17 15:18
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply

There is likely a correct middle ground in the many responses on this thread. We have people saying to tar and feather the school board if they don't police every interaction their kid has, and then we have the toughen em up and teach em how to kick nuts method. Helicopter parenting is not doing kids any favors, and expecting a school admin to police every interaction between kids is not realistic.

It was mentioned earlier in the thread that kids can't get away from the negativity anymore with social media and such removing their escape when they go home. It would seem this is more of a time than ever to teach kids the tools to deal with adversity rather than training them that mom, dad, or the school admin will be there to take care of them every time something bad happens. How is a kid ever going to learn independence or how to gain respect of his peers or others if their parents or admin are constantly babysitting them?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
j p o wrote:
RangerGress wrote:
j p o wrote:
RangerGress wrote:

I'm not evading it. I am dismissing it because I believe it is based on a faulty premise.

You have stated repeatedly that you think kids from our generation were emotionally stronger and that kids going through these types of things makes you more immune to bullying and that sort of thing and that weak kids are the ones that kill themselves.

If kids were stronger from our generation and only weaker kids kill themselves one could reasonably expect teen suicide rates to be higher now than then. They are not. In fact, until the very recent uptick they were markedly lower.

There is also a distinct difference between helicopter parenting and paying attention to when your kid is being bullied.

Re. weak kids are the ones that kill themselves. It seems to me like you are just seeking conflict. Except for the debate ploy vs. mv2005, I've not made any assertions re. suicide. I am talking about bullying. You can talk about suicide all you want, but I'm making no point in that area. Suicide is complicated. Drawing blithe conclusions is hazardous.

Re. "reasonably expect teen suicides to be higher higher now than then". I say again, suicide is complicated. You're attempting do draw simple conclusions re. causation. I am not in. I don't have enough knowledge re. teen suicide to participate in that conversation.

Re. "helicopter parenting and paying attention to when your kid is being bullied". Sigh. Of course they are different. I argued that helicopter parenting makes kid's emotionally weak. I never suggested that parents should "not pay attention" to bullying incidents. I said they should be wary of reflexively intervening.

Can we just give this up? The debate has become a series of you attacking and me pointing out that I didn't actually make the points that you're attacking. Is hard to stay interested in the debate.

Books @ Amazon
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
j p o wrote:

I assume this means you have some statistics ready at hand. My brief google research shows that the rates have increased. While that doesn't confirm what RG has been saying, with which I only partially agree, it doesn't contradict it either.

My guess, however, is that both teen suicide and various anti-bulling policies/practices are a sufficiently complex issue that it would be difficult to find some well-founded correlation between the two. On one hand, I suspect it's extremely difficult to determine even in many individual cases why someone committed suicide. On the other, policies and approaches to bullying vary wildly, to the point where a so-called zero tolerance policy at one school and under certain administrators may actually be more permissive of bullying behavior than at another school that took a more nuanced approach.
Quote Reply

Prev Next