Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Orca's hunting Great White sharks
Quote | Reply
It appears that orcas are hunting great white sharks and killing them so they can eat their livers.

http://www.foxnews.com/...an-battleground.html

Quote Reply
Re: Orca's hunting Great White sharks [rick_pcfl] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
We don't need to worry unless there's a run on Fava beans and nice Chianti
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yup, there have been a few reported cases of that in the past off California - pretty badass.

I like the bolded, underlined part below (from the great white shark Wikipedia page). Sharks are like, "holy shit, somebody killed Joe - I'm outta here...."

"An incident was documented on 4 October 1997, in the Farallon Islands off California in the United States. An estimated 4.7–5.3-meter (15–17 ft) female orca immobilized an estimated 3–4-meter (9.8–13.1 ft) great white shark.[82] The orca held the shark upside down to induce tonic immobility and kept the shark still for fifteen minutes, causing it to suffocate. The orca then proceeded to eat the dead shark's liver.[65][82][83] It is believed that the scent of the slain shark's carcass caused all the great whites in the region to flee, forfeiting an opportunity for a great seasonal feed.[84] Another similar attack apparently occurred there in 2000, but its outcome is not clear.[85] After both attacks, the local population of about 100 great whites vanished.[83][85] Following the 2000 incident, a great white with a satellite tag was found to have immediately submerged to a depth of 500 m (1,600 ft) and swum to Hawaii.[85
Last edited by: wimsey: Dec 8, 17 13:30
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
rick_pcfl wrote:
It appears that orcas are hunting great white sharks and killing them so they can eat their livers.

http://www.foxnews.com/...an-battleground.html

Wow! I hadn't heard of that.

Orcas are amazing hunters and transmit their knowledge culturally - different pods have different techniques and prey species. Some pods will beach themselves to grab seals, some kill whales (especially calves) by repeatedly butting them in the gills.

And some have learned to strip black cod from fishermen's lines:
https://www.adn.com/alaska-news/2017/06/18/in-a-bering-sea-battle-of-killer-whales-vs-fishermen-the-orcas-are-winning/
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I seem to recall reading about that some time within the last few years. I like that we are still finding new and interesting things about the natural world all the time.
Quote Reply
Re: Orca's hunting Great White sharks [eb] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
eb wrote:
some kill whales (especially calves) by repeatedly butting them in the gills.

Whales have gills?

Once, I was fast. But I got over it.
Quote Reply
Re: Orca's hunting Great White sharks [hblake] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
hblake wrote:
eb wrote:

Whales have gills?

Last edited by: ThisIsIt: Dec 8, 17 14:30
Quote Reply
Re: Orca's hunting Great White sharks [ThisIsIt] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ThisIsIt wrote:
hblake wrote:
eb wrote:

Whales have gills?

Mammal, fish, whatever!
Quote Reply
Re: Orca's hunting Great White sharks [hblake] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
hblake wrote:
eb wrote:

Whales have gills?

Jeez, what was I thinking? I plead guilty to being an idiot.

Here's some video - at one point you can clearly see an orca come up from below and butt the shit out of the poor calf.

http://www.sfgate.com/news/article/Gray-whale-successfully-defends-calf-from-orca-pod-11113110.php
Last edited by: eb: Dec 8, 17 17:29
Quote Reply
Re: Orca's hunting Great White sharks [eb] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
eb wrote:
hblake wrote:
eb wrote:

Whales have gills?

Jeez, what was I thinking? I plead guilty to being an idiot.

Here's some video - at one point you can clearly see an orca come up from below and butt the shit out of the poor calf.

http://www.sfgate.com/news/article/Gray-whale-successfully-defends-calf-from-orca-pod-11113110.php

Very intelligent animals but also realize there are several sub species and their food sources can vary. Would rather see them eating white sharks over fellow whale species. :-(

I know a guy who scuba dived with a pod on the coast of Vancouver Island. He's been all over the world diving but calls it the best dive of his life.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
     Uh, it's a faux news story, obviously not true.
Quote Reply
Re: Orca's hunting Great White sharks [dave_w] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
dave_w wrote:
Uh, it's a faux news story, obviously not true.

Unless its on Fox News.
Quote Reply
Re: Orca's hunting Great White sharks [wimsey] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
im more suprised it swam to the waters of hawaii....didnt think you would find a white there
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Wait til they figure out how great shark fins are! Have to wonder how orcas discovered they like shark liver vs. the rest of the shark. Interesting.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
A doco that has had a bit of air time in Oz on Discovery is one about a mysterious 'super predator'.

Story is based on a 3-4m great white that had been tagged and traced off the coast of West Oz. It swam thousands of km north along the coast then came all the way back. It then headed off the southern coast to a point where the sea floor drops right off. Here the shark suddenly accelerated straight down along the drop off, before the trace went dead. When the tag floated to the surface some time after they found that the temp suddenly rose several degrees right after accelerating and diving. Theory being something big chased it and ate it.
Quote Reply