Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Miami 70.3 bites the dust!
Quote | Reply
I noted in some other threads over a month ago that Miami 70.3 was a dead letter after hearing the city did not renew the contract. Today, the race disappeared from the list of IM70.3s and is no longer on the map. I've heard that that WTC was looking for a new venue but apparently they haven't got anything to make an announcement similar to Waco 70.3 (introducing Waco to replace Austin). They did announce a new 70.3 in Slovenia today but I don't think that counts.

IM70.3 North Carolina and New Orleans are both still listed as TBD for October 2018. I won't be surprised if they disappear as well.

Any other rumors out there on existing North American races on the chopping blocks and any potential new IM/70.3 races?
Quote Reply
Re: Miami 70.3 bites the dust! [HuffNPuff] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Wow...That sucks. Great race with a great turnout. Im not sure about years past, but the traffic in DT was a nightmare for hours after the race this year. Im guessing that has something to do with it.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Miamiman FTW!

That's #2 this year for local half's besting IM70.3's..Racine closed up shop and the Door County half lives on.

It can be done.

"Good genes are not a requirement, just the obsession to beat ones brains out daily"...the Griz
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
They had posted a date for IM NC 70.3 of Oct. 13th with signups starting Dec. 5th. However, the 5th has come and gone, and you still can't register, so who knows.
Quote Reply
Re: Miami 70.3 bites the dust! [Fluffyfin] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Fluffyfin wrote:
Wow...That sucks. Great race with a great turnout. Im not sure about years past, but the traffic in DT was a nightmare for hours after the race this year. Im guessing that has something to do with it.

That could be a reason why Miami wasn't interested. The city doesn't really need an event like this to bring people downtown, and no doubt they heard plenty from people tied up in the traffic.

I never did it, but I did read many bad reviews on it; most describing it as a notorious draftfest. Regardless, unless WTC finds a nearby Fall replacement, then MiamiMan is likely to sell out much sooner.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
IM70.3 North Carolina and New Orleans are both still listed as TBD for October 2018. I won't be surprised if they disappear as well.

-----------

It makes absolutely no sense for IM 70.3 NC to disappear. But oh yeah forget this is all about the benjamins baby!

Brooks Doughtie, M.S.
Exercise Physiology
-USAT Level II
Last edited by: B_Doughtie: Dec 8, 17 8:07
Quote Reply
Re: Miami 70.3 bites the dust! [MRid] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
MRid wrote:
They had posted a date for IM NC 70.3 of Oct. 13th with signups starting Dec. 5th. However, the 5th has come and gone, and you still can't register, so who knows.

Total speculation, but they may be waiting on permits. I won't be surprised if New Orleans goes by the wayside with its history of weather issues; but North Carolina would seem to be a lock if they get the permits...unless they are trying to get back into Hilton Head again! See what I did there?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Well I was hoping to do NC this year, but I was also at NOLA last year, so maybe I'm just bad luck.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Many of them need to bite the dust. There are simply too many
Quote Reply
Re: Miami 70.3 bites the dust! [Herbert] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Herbert wrote:
Many of them need to bite the dust. There are simply too many

Meanwhile, this state still has IM70.3 Florida, IM70.3 Gulf Coast, the Intimidator, the Florida Half (Jensen Beach), two HITS offerings and Miami Man. But of that smorgasbord, only Miami Man is in the fall. I've heard from two separate sources that WTC is looking for a replacement venue...possibly because the fall schedule is wide open down here.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Looks like North Carolina and New Orleans both have official dates. 10/13 for North Carolina and 10/21 for New Orleans. North Carolina is posted on the web site. New Orleans still shows TBD on the website, but they just sent out an email with the date for 10/21.

So they are at least around for another year.
Quote Reply
Re: Miami 70.3 bites the dust! [stringcheese] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Maybe the WTC will buy Miamiman.
Quote Reply
Re: Miami 70.3 bites the dust! [Skyline Chili] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Skyline Chili wrote:
Maybe the WTC will buy Miamiman.

Ha, ha. Multi-race has quite a series across South Florida. I expect they would tell WTC to pound sand.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I saw the update for North Carolina. Odd that they didn't update the date for New Orleans. But if it does go another year, then I wouldn't expect a large turnout, and the future will be riding on it going off without a single hitch.
Quote Reply