Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

White Cop who Shot Walter Scott in the Back, Killing Him, Sentenced to 20 Years
Quote | Reply
No discussion here of this yet, so... Let's get started.

http://www.sandiegouniontribune.com/...-20171207-story.html

This is the cop who was caught on video shooting an African American man in the back while the man was running away. He plead guilty to federal charges and was sentenced today to 20 years in prison.

War is god
Quote Reply
Re: White Cop who Shot Walter Scott in the Back, Killing Him, Sentenced to 20 Years [Crank] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Crank wrote:

This is the cop who was caught on video shooting an African American man in the back while the man was running away. He plead guilty to federal charges and was sentenced today to 20 years in prison.

I don't remember the specifics of this case in particular but just from what the article had, I think he may have got the minimum, based on the obstruction aspect.

I do remember the other incident, which an officer asked a man for his identification on a seat belt charge and shot the man when he reached for his wallet. fwiw, I think anytime an officer asks you for something, it's a good practice to say something to the affect that it's in my rear right pants pocket, is it ok if whip it out now.

Much respect for the Scott family for the class they handled this very difficult situation.

#WeAreTheForge #BlackGunsMatter

"Look, will you guys at leats accept that you are a bunch of dumb asses and just trust me on this one? Please?" BarryP 7/30/2012
Quote Reply
Re: White Cop who Shot Walter Scott in the Back, Killing Him, Sentenced to 20 Years [Crank] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Why did the original Murder trial end up in a mis-trial?

As an outside observer, it all seemed pretty obvious - the officer shot the Walter Scott in the back, as he was moving AWAY from him! He then tried to change, certain aspects of the crime scene, to make it out like something else happened ( and he may have had assistance in this from an accompanying Officer on the scene). The officer then lied when giving his version of events - and all this was corroborated an proven by video evidence that was submitted by by-standers - at which point, the Officers original Lawyer resigned from the case!

Steve Fleck @stevefleck | Blog
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Pretty sure this one has been hashed out. The cop shot the guy for no good reason.

Thanks for pointing out to us that Scott was black and the Cop was white. That's important information.

How does Danny Hart sit down with balls that big?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Glad he was convicted but pissed that the South Carolina jury didn't convict him.
Quote Reply
Re: White Cop who Shot Walter Scott in the Back, Killing Him, Sentenced to 20 Years [BLeP] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
BLeP wrote:
Thanks for pointing out to us that Scott was black and the Cop was white. That's important information.

You think it's unimportant in this case and in the context of the other police shooting cases? Ok....

War is god
Quote Reply
Re: White Cop who Shot Walter Scott in the Back, Killing Him, Sentenced to 20 Years [Dan Os Fan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Dan Os Fan wrote:
Glad he was convicted but pissed that the South Carolina jury didn't convict him.

It’s really hard to convict cops in these cases.

If the cop “feared for his safety” he can legally use deadly force. Even if video evidence shows that he probably shouldn’t have been afraid it doesn’t matter, legally. If the cop was in a state of fear that’s it.

Civilize the mind, but make savage the body.

- Chinese proverb
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Crank wrote:
BLeP wrote:

You think it's unimportant in this case and in the context of the other police shooting cases? Ok....

Is the race of the dead guy important information or is it not?

How does Danny Hart sit down with balls that big?
Quote Reply
Re: White Cop who Shot Walter Scott in the Back, Killing Him, Sentenced to 20 Years [Duffy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
If the cop “feared for his safety” he can legally use deadly force. Even if video evidence shows that he probably shouldn’t have been afraid it doesn’t matter, legally. If the cop was in a state of fear that’s it.

I get that, but what if the guy is running AWAY from you, he has no weapon, and you have a gun - where is the fear? Where is it coming from?

I believe I read something attached to this case that Police officers are taught, and trained to NOT use deadly force (shoot an assailant), if they are not worried about their one personal safety and that of others. What risk was the assailant, Walter Scott in this case?

Steve Fleck @stevefleck | Blog
Quote Reply
Re: White Cop who Shot Walter Scott in the Back, Killing Him, Sentenced to 20 Years [Fleck] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The answer is in the post you replied to.

It doesn’t really matter if the fear is justified. All that matters is the presence of fear.

It’s up to a prosecutor to convince a jury that the did not actually feel fear. That’s a difficult task.

I’m not saying I agree with it, that’s just the way it is.

Civilize the mind, but make savage the body.

- Chinese proverb
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Crank wrote:

FWIW, after seeing the video, this cop definitely needs to do time. The guy was running away from him and presenting zero threat. Absolutely no need to kill the guy.