Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Norway and borealis?
Quote | Reply
Looking to maybe go to Norway next year for a trip, mainly to see northern lights in the north, Senja, Tromso, etc. Will have a week and will initially fly into Oslo.

I understand lights best (only?) between Sept - March.

Anyone been? Advice? Itineraries?

TIA
Last edited by: ChrisM: Dec 5, 17 12:20
Quote Reply
Re: Norway? [ChrisM] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ya , i went to Narvik to check out the midnight sun. Pretty strange.I took the train all the way there from the south. Very interesting traveling through the lapland.

sometimes
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I would def stay in Oslo for a couple of days to see the city. I skied in Geilo for a few days and got their by train from Oslo. Was reasonable skiing but not a big resort. May not work for where you need to go up in the north.
Quote Reply
Re: Norway? [Kay Serrar] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yes, from what I am seeing where we want to go (Senja) is very small and can be covered in 4 days.. twice LOL. So seeing Oslo would be good I think
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
ChrisM wrote:
Looking to maybe go to Norway next year for a trip, mainly to see northern lights in the north, Senja, Tromso, etc. Will have a week and will initially fly into Oslo.

I understand lights best (only?) between Sept - March.

Anyone been? Advice? Itineraries?

TIA

I've never been to Norway, but I live at latitude 65 so will chime in on the aurora. The best times of year for aurora viewing are around the equinoxes when the Earth's magnetic field is optimally aligned for aurora to occur. So September and March are your best bets - there will normally be substantially fewer good displays in Dec-Jan. Of course any single strong solar event can override that rule of thumb. Similarly, the best time of day is solar midnight (normally around midnight, but could be as late as 2 a.m. depending on time zone and longitude. Again, it all depends what the sun has been doing, but the equinox at midnight gives you the best odds..

Good luck - a strong aurora is one of the most amazing sights on the planet. Here's an example (shameless plug - shot by one of my neighbors):
Quote Reply
Re: Norway? [eb] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Wow... thanks for the info.

Living in so cal, Northern Lights is on that life list for us, so while not a guarantee we'd like to give it the best shot we can
Quote Reply