Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: How much do you drink (alcohol)? [OneGoodLeg] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
OneGoodLeg wrote:
I can think of one pal in particular; great guy and when he found out I was a serious cyclist (at least more serious at the time) he wanted me to take him out riding on several occasions (we also ran together as well) but despite him being younger and appearing to be in better overall shape than I was (easily leaner; 10 out of 10 people would pick him as the better endurance athlete just looking at the 2 of us standing side by side) I was surprised how easy it is to dust him whenever I felt like it, and it wasn't simply a matter of conditioning or specificity ~ it always looked like he could crank it up if he really wanted to, yet never did; he just seems like he's perpetually stuck in a mellower cruising gear and doesn't attack things

GCN had a term for this that went along with other cyclist terms like "wheelsucker" or "halfwheeler"........it's called a "soft pedaller".

Cruising along at pace with a smile and nose breathing.

Then again, I know thin folks who put in tons of hours in Z2 with some Z3/4 (power zones out of 5) for maybe a min or two. Not personality I guess, just maybe not in their goal set.

Then there's me.......segment you know up a 3 minute hill comes on the route......oooooohhhhhhhh ohhhhhhhhh let's bomb that shit and try for top 10 on the leaderboard! Crest the top about to vomit. Do it a few more times on the ride.......get to the house nursing a cramp you got right at the end of the last gut buster.......then remember it's fun to do an all out sprint at the bottom of the hill near your house where it flattens up for 1/8 mile before your driveway. Turn off the ride on the Bolt to save your epic average speed with all those hills and circle the cul de sac like a 4 year old on a tricycle for 5 minutes cooling down. Then hope you can stand up long enough to finish taking a shower.
Quote Reply
Re: How much do you drink (alcohol)? [RandMart] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
RandMart wrote:

I guess I could be considered an Endorphin Addict, and as I've said before: Endorphin Withdrawal is a terrible thing to experience, and horrible to watch

Fortunately, its easily cured with substantial alcohol.
Quote Reply
Re: How much do you drink (alcohol)? [OneGoodLeg] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
OneGoodLeg wrote:
slidecontrol wrote:
"I feel sorry for people who don't drink. When they wake up in the morning, that's as good as they're going to feel all day."

Dean Martin

I always thought I'd heard it attributed to Frankie instead, but I guess they were good drinking buddies anyway...

Another vote for Frank

In regards to the very wordy post that followed ...

"Write drunk, edit sober" = Hemingway

"What's your claim?" - Ben Gravy
"Your best work is the work you're excited about" - Rick Rubin
Quote Reply
Re: How much do you drink (alcohol)? [RandMart] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
http://riotfest.org/...rummer-ran-marathon/

Joe: You shouldn’t really ask me about my training regime, you know.
Q: Why?
Joe: Because it’s not good and I wouldn’t want people to copy it.
Q: Don’t make me beat it out of you.
Joe: Okay, you want it, here it is. Drink 10 pints of beer the night before the race. Ya got that? And don’t run a single step at least four weeks before the race.
Q: No running at all?
Joe: No, none at all. And don’t forget the 10 pints of beer the night before. But make sure you put a warning in this article, “Do not try this at home.” I mean, it works for me and Hunter Thompson but it might not work for others. I can only tell you what I do.

Quote Reply
Re: How much do you drink (alcohol)? [burnthesheep] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
burnthesheep wrote:
[ Turn off the ride on the Bolt to save your epic average speed with all those hills and circle the cul de sac like a 4 year old on a tricycle for 5 minutes cooling down.

Heh, so I'm not the only one :)

"They're made of latex, not nitroglycerin"
Quote Reply
Re: How much do you drink (alcohol)? [tri_yoda] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Seasonal or holiday parties. That covers it. When we have a XMAS party, or 4th of July party or birthday party. No bars or social drinking at dinners for me. Typically have to drive so I don't even bother--I'd go for coffee instead, water. The Mike's Hard Limeade is pretty awesome, or any of those Smirnoff flavored beverages. Not a beer/wine/hard liquor guy either. Rare I'd have one, but it does happen a few times a year. In total, I drink a dozen times a year which is the number of parties I may be at or host.
Quote Reply
Re: How much do you drink (alcohol)? [Vincible] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
+1 on the I'm fat and slow. BOP Clydesdale
I will never give up my scotch no matter how fast I think it would make me. I race for the fun and being with all the people ahead of me.
2 to 3 drinks 5 times a week.
Mho drink high end scotch and enjoy life.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I probably drink 2-3 on a weekday, there are times were i don't drink anything. This is typically towards the end of the night, after the kids are in bed and I have done whatever work out I am doing - so usually around 9pm or so. On a weekend it really depends. I have been working on toning it down but it could be upwards of 7 or 8 throughout the course of the day. I like to get a run/bike in and then I am in yard work mode. I like to think that makes it better, but it doesn't :(

Use this link to save $5 off your USAT membership renewal:
https://membership.usatriathlon.org/...A2-BAD7-6137B629D9B7
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I was a drunk until about 3 years ago. Back in 2010-2012 when I was racing my best, I was drinking at my best too. Minimum of 6 high alcohol IPAs every night, sometimes a half bottle of red wine too. I was hungover maybe once a week. Slept 5 hours a night, trained 14-18 hours a week. Won the first national aquabike, VA state 40k title in 51:20, and 2nd master at AG nats in Burlington. The hardest part was not drinking for a couple night before major races. It's really ridiculous when I write it out like that. I pissed away a lot of talent, and race weight was a bitch. Not recommended.
Quote Reply
Re: How much do you drink (alcohol)? [FindinFreestyle] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
FindinFreestyle wrote:
I was a drunk until about 3 years ago. Back in 2010-2012 when I was racing my best, I was drinking at my best too. Minimum of 6 high alcohol IPAs every night, sometimes a half bottle of red wine too. I was hungover maybe once a week. Slept 5 hours a night, trained 14-18 hours a week. Won the first national aquabike, VA state 40k title in 51:20, and 2nd master at AG nats in Burlington. The hardest part was not drinking for a couple night before major races. It's really ridiculous when I write it out like that. I pissed away a lot of talent, and race weight was a bitch. Not recommended.

Funny you should say that. I've been away from the forum for a while - maybe those 3 years. And it seems to me you're a lot more agreeable than you used to be. But that could also be me misremembering.

Citizen of the world, former drunkard. Resident Traumatic Brain Injury advocate.
Quote Reply
Re: How much do you drink (alcohol)? [Richard Blaine] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Richard Blaine wrote:
FindinFreestyle wrote:

Funny you should say that. I've been away from the forum for a while - maybe those 3 years. And it seems to me you're a lot more agreeable than you used to be. But that could also be me misremembering.

Oh no, you remember perfectly. I was banned three times I think. I was a train wreck, but I was also good at stuff, so I could get away with it. So much of my training was alcohol fueled. I am happier on the coaching side of the sport now.
Last edited by: FindinFreestyle: Dec 6, 17 19:01
Quote Reply
Re: How much do you drink (alcohol)? [kiki] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
kiki wrote:

When friends are getting a round of drinks I'll have tea -- which also seems to 'disappoint' them less than water.

ha !
in dry spells, I fill a beer bottle with water, and camouflage myself that way..

usually go dry for Lent, just to make sure I still can.
the rest of the year, a beer or 2 glasses of wine with dinner on most days.
since 11/9 I seem to have developed a whisky nightcap habit, it helps to stop thinking..

Going dry for the forty days of Lent has no effect on anything - sleep, rhr, weight, race times, etc. I've been doing this for decades now and the training logs are consistent..
Last edited by: doug in co: Dec 7, 17 14:20
Quote Reply
Re: How much do you drink (alcohol)? [windschatten] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
windschatten wrote:
Dilbert wrote:
windschatten wrote:
Dilbert wrote:
I don't drink at all. Don't see the point myself. Not one to cave in to peer pressure either.

Not really directed at you, Dilbert, but at the other 99% who claim the same thing to be true:

And we don't run any Stop signs of any kind either....

Hello alternative reality!

A claim too fantastic for you to believe? Why is that? Do you know?

Because pretty much all the time, humans cheat themselves.

It is human nature, and has been a large contributor to our success!

And besides, several of human's greatest achievements have been conceived or were born in drug fueled states.

My last post was written after enjoying a bottle of Italian Chianti....

People have a hard time believing everyone else isn't exactly like them. I know people who honestly believe everyone drives drunk ("tipsy") because they do. There are people who think everyone smokes weed, everyone litters, and everything else. This is reinforced because people tend to socialize with others like them. I can absolutely assure you there are people who don't drink (and no, that's not me). But maybe do some introspection and think about why you can't imagine someone not doing it.

Heck, I once went on a (one!) date with a girl who seriously believed I was lying when I said I didn't like Chik-fil-a and just made myself avoid it because of racing. No, it's disgusting and also crap, and I'm honest about the unhealthy food that I crave but avoid.

The point is, ladies and gentleman, that speed, for lack of a better word, is good. Speed is right, Speed works. Speed clarifies, cuts through, and captures the essence of the evolutionary spirit.
Quote Reply
Re: How much do you drink (alcohol)? [Toby] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Toby wrote:
People have a hard time believing everyone else isn't exactly like them.

I whole-heartedly disagree; people do things to celebrate their superiority or uniqueness

People who regularly drive drunk, don't do it because "everyone does it" they do it because they see themselves as the best at it

People who get high at work do it because they are the best at working while high AND the best at not getting caught

I pride myself at being the only 50 year-old skatepunk, doing finance at the real Stark Industries

People who litter are just lazy, and most people are, so I'll give you that one

Quote Reply

Prev Next