Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: The Most Important Element for Success Poll [LazyEP] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
LazyEP wrote:
Financial at the 70.3 level and above.
M Dot branded entry fee. Buying speed (bike, wheels, wetsuits). Opportunity costs for investing time & $$$ for the training. Doubtful one will tackle a 70.3 if you're a member of the working poor.

that's my vote too.. financial is the bar to entry, fail to clear that and it really doesn't matter what your gifts or motivation are. Once you can clear it comfortably, it brings with it the ability to buy speed, plus enough leisure time to train and rest effectively. Then the gifts and motivation start to matter..

My brand new used car cost less than half a superbike..
Quote Reply
Re: The Most Important Element for Success Poll [doug in co] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote:
that's my vote too.. financial is the bar to entry, fail to clear that and it really doesn't matter what your gifts or motivation are. Once you can clear it comfortably, it brings with it the ability to buy speed, plus enough leisure time to train and rest effectively. Then the gifts and motivation start to matter..

I don't know. Most (not the very top) pro triathletes are the definition of working poor.

Work ethic and attitude will help make the sacrifices needed to live on a low budget, plus get out and hustle for sponsors, etc.
Quote Reply
Re: The Most Important Element for Success Poll [efernand] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Don’t know how this can be anything other than genetic gifts. You can have all the other things on the list but youre never going to win Kona unless you’re genetically gifted.
Quote Reply
Re: The Most Important Element for Success Poll [Patrick E] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Patrick E wrote:
Don’t know how this can be anything other than genetic gifts. You can have all the other things on the list but youre never going to win Kona unless you’re genetically gifted.

The issue is that generally things like income, training load, frequency, volume, distribution, modulation, technical choices etc can be (reasonably) measured.

Genetics (within the context of performance) and motivation can’t currently be measured within the context of reasonable science or opinion.

So, if stuck between “motivation” and “genetics” and staring in the mirror which would you choose?

We’re all human😀
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
"Don’t know how this can be anything other than genetic gifts. You can have all the other things on the list but youre never going to win Kona unless you’re genetically gifted. "

I think most people (pros and AGers) would not need to win Kona in order to achieve success.
Quote Reply
Re: The Most Important Element for Success Poll [SLOgoing] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The most important element is the Element of Surprise.
Quote Reply
Re: The Most Important Element for Success Poll [Dilbert] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
What is this, the Spanish Inquisition?

Swimming Workout of the Day:

Favourite Swim Sets:

2020 National Masters Champion - M50-54 - 50m Butterfly
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Dan....

Not sure if this has been mentioned, but did you give any thought to a category of age/position in life. By that , I don't mean "age group" or even necessarily "age", but it seems to me, the "place" (not location) you are in your life when you are serious about training has a lot to do with success. You can have all of the other things on the list but if you aren't in a "place" in your life to be able to commit to training, "success" is more difficult. Do you have young (or any) kids? Does your job require certain commitments that make training more difficult? Are there are personal things going on in your life that would make training more or less difficult?

For me personally, I am in that place now and seeing the most improvements. I suspect I am not alone as I have read threads where similar sentiments were expressed.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Patrick E wrote:

Absolutely.

Genetics are the start and end for any discussion about true pro/elite level performance in just any sport or any task.

Hard work does not make you a champion without the genetics.

Some people really seem to have a hard time accepting that.
Quote Reply
Re: The Most Important Element for Success Poll [rubik] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
rubik wrote:
Patrick E wrote:

Some people really seem to have a hard time accepting that.

They also pay a lot of money to learn it.
Quote Reply
Re: The Most Important Element for Success Poll [efernand] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Maybe but they usually have a parachute if things go wrong. If you come from a poor family and don't have much education. not likely .

They constantly try to escape from the darkness outside and within
Dreaming of systems so perfect that no one will need to be good T.S. Eliot

Quote Reply
Re: The Most Important Element for Success Poll [rubik] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
"Genetics are the start and end for any discussion about true pro/elite level performance in just any sport or any task. "

Nobody is disagreeing with that, but the poll specifically referenced AGers as well where your statement is not true.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Learning how to urinate on the bike.

In a group.

Without making a mortal enemy.

(“while” on the bike, not actually “on” the bike)
Quote Reply

Prev Next