Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Women are naturally more fit than men
Quote | Reply
Press release coming out of my University this morning:

Women are naturally more fit than men
Monday, December 4, 2017
Women can process oxygen more quickly than men when they start to exercise, according to a new study from the University of Waterloo.

Quick oxygen uptake places less strain on the body’s cells and is considered an important measure of aerobic fitness.

“The findings are contrary to the popular assumption that men’s bodies are more naturally athletic,” said Thomas Beltrame, lead author on the study.

The study compared oxygen uptake and muscle oxygen extraction between 18 young men and women of similar age and weight during treadmill exercise. Women consistently outperformed men with around 30 per cent faster oxygen handling throughout the body.

“We found that women’s muscles extract oxygen from the blood faster, which, scientifically speaking, indicates a superior aerobic system,” said Richard Hughson, a professor in the Faculty of Applied Health Sciences, and Schlegel Research Chair in Vascular Aging and Brain Health at Waterloo.

By processing oxygen faster, women are less likely to accumulate molecules linked with muscle fatigue, effort perception and poor athletic performance.

“While we don’t know why women have faster oxygen uptake, this study shakes up conventional wisdom,” said Beltrame. “It could change the way we approach assessment and athletic training down the road.”

The study is published in Applied Physiology, Nutrition, and Metabolism

So, could these findings mean that if women can get the same amount of muscle mass/muscle types as men, there is the possibility they could be faster?
Quote Reply
Re: Women are naturally more fit than men [M~] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
M~ wrote:
So, could these findings mean that if women can get the same amount of muscle mass/muscle types as men, there is the possibility they could be faster?

No.

There are plenty of examples of equivalent muscle types and mass, and men have a much higher aerobic and anaerobic threshold on average. It's a click bait title.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Sample Size = 36. Bogus.

https://markmcdermott.substack.com
Quote Reply
Re: Women are naturally more fit than men [marklemcd] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
marklemcd wrote:
Sample Size = 36. Bogus.

It appears the sample size may have been 18 total. Yikes...

Nevertheless, the speed at which your body processes the oxygen is only part of the equation and is dwarfed by Vo2 max.

Vo2 max is the amount of oxygen that an individual can utilize during intense, or maximal exercise. Men have larger engines by nature.
Quote Reply
Re: Women are naturally more fit than men [LifeTri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ignoring the potential holes in the study; if it were true how do you think training would evolve for women? I'm not sure I think it really would, or it would make much difference.

Brian

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I always knew men had a better work ethic. This just confirms it. We do more with less!
Quote Reply
Re: Women are naturally more fit than men [afrizzledfry] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
afrizzledfry wrote:
I always knew men had a better work ethic. This just confirms it. We do more with less!

A year ago I would have assumed this was a joke and forgot about it. These days I'm not so sure anymore.

Citizen of the world, former drunkard. Resident Traumatic Brain Injury advocate.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hello M~ and All,

And ....... women last longer ..... (but some say they need a lot of maintenance)

A centenarian is a person who lives to or beyond the age of 100 years. Because life expectancies worldwide are less than 100, the term is associated with extreme longevity. In 2012, the United Nations estimated that there were 316,600 living centenarians worldwide.[1] As life expectancy is increasing across the world, and the world population has also increased rapidly, the number of centenarians is expected to increase quickly in the future.[2] According to the UK ONS, one-third of babies born in 2013 in the UK are expected to live to 100.[3]

The Good News! Look at how many people are over 100 in the USA …..

A growing number of Americans are living to age 100. Nationwide, the centenarian population has grown 65.8 percent over the past three decades, from 32,194 people who were age 100 or older in 1980 to 53,364 centenarians in 2010, according to new Census Bureau data.Jan 7, 2013

The population of the United States in 2010 was approximately 309 million. Thus, today only 0.0173% of Americans live to 100.

The Bad News! Hmmmmm …. For me this is not looking so good … Females provide about 83% of Centenarians ….. 17% is left for males or 9,072 men of the 53,364 centenarians.

US Male odds are 309,000,000 / 9072 = 0.0029%* ‘Anything is Possible’ …. but those odd look like a tough challenge.

Should be noted those odds are at birth .... actually when you get to 85 years of age or so the odds are about 7% for all in US and if you get to 99 years of age the odds are quite good to get to 100.

Those of us that are in our 80’s now were born too soon …. As 1 out of 3 babies born now in UK are expected to live to 100.

Japan has 48 centenarians per 100,000 whereas the US has 22 and the UK 21.49 …. Canada 22.31 ….. Russia sucks at 4.76 (do not move there.)

Here is some information on aging: https://www.ted.com/...s_we_can_avoid_aging

So what to do to extend life?

1. Move to Japan …. Odds in Japan are more than twice as good as in the US for humans to make it to 100 years.

1. Follow in Caitlyn Jenner’s footsteps and go female …. Odds are about 5 times better for female than male human to make it to 100 years.

What do you think?

95 % CI:
0.0027 to 0.0031
z statistic
Significance level
P < 0.0001

Cheers, Neal

+1 mph Faster
Quote Reply
Re: Women are naturally more fit than men [Richard Blaine] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Richard Blaine wrote:
afrizzledfry wrote:

A year ago I would have assumed this was a joke and forgot about it. These days I'm not so sure anymore.

Def a joke.
Quote Reply
Re: Women are naturally more fit than men [nealhe] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
When you consider the lifestyles and job opportunities between men and women over the past 100 years, it's fairly easy to see why women survive longer than men. Men do the lion's share of most of the dangerous, dirty, and unsanitary jobs. And we haven't had a history of being very health/ safety conscious. The hope for the next generation of men isn't all that great either, if we use epic fails as video evidence of how stupid boys/ men typically are at taking unnecessary risks and ending life early.

Take a short break from ST and read my blog:
http://tri-banter.blogspot.com/
Quote Reply
Re: Women are naturally more fit than men [Tri-Banter] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Tri-Banter wrote:
When you consider the lifestyles and job opportunities between men and women over the past 100 years, it's fairly easy to see why women survive longer than men. Men do the lion's share of most of the dangerous, dirty, and unsanitary jobs. And we haven't had a history of being very health/ safety conscious. The hope for the next generation of men isn't all that great either, if we use epic fails as video evidence of how stupid boys/ men typically are at taking unnecessary risks and ending life early.

True. Men often die trying. And if they fail, they then commit suicide at a far greater rate then women.

https://therationalmale.com/.../01/men-and-suicide/

Indoor Triathlete - I thought I was right, until I realized I was wrong.
Quote Reply
Re: Women are naturally more fit than men [afrizzledfry] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
afrizzledfry wrote:
Richard Blaine wrote:
afrizzledfry wrote:

Def a joke.

Oh I know. I didn't really doubt that. Was mostly an observation on the insane times we live in.

Citizen of the world, former drunkard. Resident Traumatic Brain Injury advocate.
Last edited by: Richard Blaine: Dec 4, 17 16:04
Quote Reply
Re: Women are naturally more fit than men [rruff] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
rruff wrote:
M~ wrote:

No.

There are plenty of examples of equivalent muscle types and mass, and men have a much higher aerobic and anaerobic threshold on average. It's a click bait title.

x2.

[/grumpy]

I talk a lot - Give it a listen: http://www.fasttalklabs.com/category/fast-talk
I also give Training Advice via http://www.ForeverEndurance.com

The above poster has eschewed traditional employment and is currently undertaking the ill-conceived task of launching his own hardgoods company. Statements are not made on behalf of nor reflective of anything in any manner... unless they're good, then they count.
http://www.AGNCYINNOVATION.com
Last edited by: xtrpickels: Dec 4, 17 20:29
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Well, I guess USA Triathlon can dump the sex adjusted athlete rankings.
Quote Reply
Re: Women are naturally more fit than men [Tri-Banter] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hello Tri-Banter, IT, and All,

Tri-Banter wrote: When you consider the lifestyles and job opportunities between men and women over the past 100 years, it's fairly easy to see why women survive longer than men. Men do the lion's share of most of the dangerous, dirty, and unsanitary jobs. And we haven't had a history of being very health/ safety conscious. The hope for the next generation of men isn't all that great either, if we use epic fails as video evidence of how stupid boys/ men typically are at taking unnecessary risks and ending life early.

So now you are telling me that women are more naturally fit, live longer, and are smarter than men?

Next you will be telling me women are better looking than men ...... (and have nicer shoes)

Cheers, Neal

+1 mph Faster
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
M~ wrote:
“We found that women’s muscles extract oxygen from the blood faster, which, scientifically speaking, indicates a superior aerobic system,” said Richard Hughson, a professor in the Faculty of Applied Health Sciences, and Schlegel Research Chair in Vascular Aging and Brain Health at Waterloo.

I do not think that conclusion is appropriate and supported by the data.

The aerobic system is more than just "extraction and processing of oxygen".

I would agree with him, that fast oxygen extraction/utilization in women is critical, especially when thinking about gestation, especially development of a fetus.

Pompous Academic Statement.
Quote Reply
Re: Women are naturally more fit than men [lutzman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
lutzman wrote:
Well, I guess USA Triathlon can dump the sex adjusted athlete rankings.

Now we are making progress here. Not only rankings can be dumped but separate competitions, scholarships, etc. across all sports.

In fact, men pacing women are probably holding those women back during marathons and other competitions! pink

I'm so over "you go girl" research and pop culture portrayals that perhaps climate change is hype too. not pink

Gosh, if true, why would women in an evolutionary sense ever let men catch them? Unless they let men catch them in order to trick men into supporting them.

Indoor Triathlete - I thought I was right, until I realized I was wrong.
Quote Reply