Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Trainer Longevity - is direct drive worth 2x the price?
Quote | Reply
I'm looking at wheel on v. direct drive trainers. I already have P1 pedals so power isn't a deal for me. I'm more interested in the ability to dial in a workout (which both can do). So, in the end, is a direct-drive worth nearly 2x's the price? Does a direct drive hold up twice as long as a wheel on? Thanks group.
Quote Reply
Re: Trainer Longevity - is direct drive worth 2x the price? [jkoszarek] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
If you already have power stay with what you got. Easy on easy off.
Quote Reply
Re: Trainer Longevity - is direct drive worth 2x the price? [jkoszarek] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
IMO, the primary advantage to direct drive is not having to check your tire pressure and do a spin down calibration.
Quote Reply
Post deleted by Administrator [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The direct drive vs. wheel on is not about durability or longevity. It is unit performance and convenience. Direct drive trainers are generally: more precise with their own power meters; quieter; able to deliver higher power; able to simulate higher grades; have heavier flywheels (except for Neo); do not wear your rear wheel & tire.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have the P1 pedals as well and instead of buy a "smart trainer" and re-spending money on another powermeter that I don't need i purchased a hammer silencer and it works well for me!

Quite as it can be, magnetic so problem like with fluid trainer and direct drive so no worries about tires, tubes, wheel, air pressure or calibration/spin down like with other trainers!

I did have to get creative with speed sensor, which I can post pics of you want to see what I've done and it is otherwise perfect for me at the fraction of an expensive ass smart trainer

I feel like I even be putting so much power that in the speed department it may not during training but you can tell on the road!

Speed kills unless you have speed skills!!!
Quote Reply
Re: Trainer Longevity - is direct drive worth 2x the price? [runner66] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
runner66 wrote:
The OP has P1 pedals. The tire pressure and spin down should not be issues. Isn't the tire pressure irrelevant with a PM? And I have the P1 pedals and have not needed to do any calibration.

I’m that case, no need to check tire pressure or roller tension other than for general function purposes.
Quote Reply
Re: Trainer Longevity - is direct drive worth 2x the price? [runner66] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
To fully utilize TR workouts a speed sensor is needed, obviously cadence is managed by P1 but still need a form of speed... at least that's what I was told by TR rep!

Also your P1 pedals don't measure speed, that's managed by your head unit (if garmin) or by your speed sensor thru your head unit if not garmin.

I use my Samsung table A with garmin tri HR, P1 pedals, bontrager BLE speed sensor & hammer silencer direct drive trainer without an issue

Quote Reply
Re: Trainer Longevity - is direct drive worth 2x the price? [playero] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
playero wrote:
To fully utilize TR workouts a speed sensor is needed
A speed sensor is unnecessary for TrainerRoad if you have a smart trainer. TR will capture speed and distance, if you have a sensor, but it "doesn't care" from a workout point of view. Here is TR's article about it: https://support.trainerroad.com/...on-an-Indoor-Trainer

If you have a dumb trainer, then TR must have a speed sensor to calculate virtual power from wheel speed.

Now, Zwift may need a speed sensor with a smart trainer (if the trainer doesn't already broadcast speed), since you are virtually performing against a course and other riders. But, I am not a Zwift guy. I use TR-- no speed for me.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Nope, is a direct drive but still a dumb trainer! The benefit of it is the direct drive and queiteness of it! No different than any other magnetic trainer except obviously the direct drive part

Quote Reply