Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

WTH is wrong with me
Quote | Reply
18 year old male. 6’2”.
Due to a lot of things, haven’t exercised anywhere close to what I should be doing this year. Severe asthma and seasonal allergies. Peanut and penicillin allergy.

Here’s what’s been going on. Was on my mountain bike a little during the spring, then 0 rides for a few months with the smoky summer, and then 1-2 rides a month with school/work/other obligations.

I noticed something funny in the spring. I was eating horribly, worse than I ever had, and riding less than I have since I was 8years old and got my first road bike. But I was getting faster. And I peaked at 155 pounds.

My diet has remained close to the same, maybe marginally better. Exercise is near non existent. Yet on the 1-2 rides a month my segment times are still improving across the board. Climbs, descents, straight or twisty, it makes no difference.

But i’m losing weight.
The day before thanksgiving I thought it would be funny to weigh myself. Naked and on the same scale as in the spring. 154 lbs.
day after thanksgiving. 151.
Today, 150.

I know it isn’t a lot, but I thought it was interesting. And yes, I will be bringing up with my doctor (:

Also, my apologies Blep, I know I talked about some touchy subjects, hope the semi medical question offsets it ;)
Quote Reply
Re: WTH is wrong with me [Koala Bear] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Losing weight that doesn’t make sense given one’s diet and exercise level is reason enough to go see a doc.

Quote | Reply
A) go see a doc
B) last time I was 150 was 5th or 6th grade
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You’re 18.

When I was 18 eating was a full time job.

Civilize the mind, but make savage the body.

- Chinese proverb
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
What do your daily meals consist of? Do you take any laxatives?

Maybe you're just not eating enough due to a fast metabolism or it could be a tape worm.
Quote Reply
Re: WTH is wrong with me [LuckyLo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
No laxatives. Only meds are Zyrtec and Montelucast for asthma.

Diet consists of a fair bit of fast food, and usually a bagel or a ham and cheese sandwich on a bagel for breakfast, lunch is a homemade ham, turkey, or roast beef sandwich (sometimes panini-fied) and dinner is usually mexican (authentic, and in large quantities), pasta, fast food, burgers etc. Everything but the fast food is typically homemade.

As far as drinks go, I drink about 3-6 litres of water per day, and will have either an iced black tea or a caramel macchiato.

Edit: Oh I forgot, I snack pretty much 24/7 on chips, fruit, salad, spare meals in the fridge...
Last edited by: Koala Bear: Dec 3, 17 15:57
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I ate a lot and never gained any weight until I was 30.

It sounds like you are pretty normal to me.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Another stage of growth. Do not sweat it.

Quote | Reply
I was a chubby kid until high school. Without doing a lick of exercise and eating like shit, I lost weight and was really scrawny. Grotesquely scrawny. That lasted until I was about 21 and then things started to catch up with me, got chubby and fat for a couple of years, dieted a ton and exercised in the way that typical gym-goers exercise (i.e. without a plan and not "training"), lost a bunch of weight in a hurry, gained it back for a couple of years, got really active and started making fitness and healthier eating a lifestyle, started competing. Now I'm thin, fit, have some visible abs, but have to be pretty careful to maintain it. I'm convinced that it would have been easier to keep fat at bay had I made it a lifestyle habit when I still had youth on my side.

Your youthful metabolism may just be giving you grace right now. But if your experience is like mine, it won't last and will catch up to you unless you nail down healthy habits now.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
3-6 litres of fluid a day is a lot. Are you thirsty alot this year compared to last. Peeing more than normal ? Make sure your doc checks for diabetes (type 1) .

They constantly try to escape from the darkness outside and within
Dreaming of systems so perfect that no one will need to be good T.S. Eliot

Quote Reply
Re: WTH is wrong with me [len] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Good call. I missed that part. A friend of mine started losing weight and then ended up in the ER where they found out he had type 1. It's nothing to screw with.

len wrote:
3-6 litres of fluid a day is a lot. Are you thirsty alot this year compared to last. Peeing more than normal ? Make sure your doc checks for diabetes (type 1) .
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
len wrote:
No, I’ve been this way since about freshman/sophomore year of high school. I’ll definitely mention and ask about it at my next appointment. I pee quite a bit but I’ve always just attributed that to drinking quite a bit.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I know a guy who grew 8" in height between age 18 and 25. Ended up winning a gold medal at the Olympics in rowing. Men generally have huge caloric requirements at your age as you're probably not done growing.

Long Chile was a silly place.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It's easy to dip test some pee. Don't pee just before your appt.

They constantly try to escape from the darkness outside and within
Dreaming of systems so perfect that no one will need to be good T.S. Eliot

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
len wrote:
True, but if he was type 1 (and it doesn't sound like it to me...my son has T1D) he would be pissing like a racehorse and no matter how much he drank, he would still be thirsty.
Its pretty dramatic (the thirst and the pissing) and weight loss doesn't typically occur until BGL's are very high
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Aids. Definitely Aids. Sorry.

===============
Proud member of the MSF (Maple Syrup Mafia)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
We weigh about the same. I am 5'7".

You are too skinny kid.

How does Danny Hart sit down with balls that big?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
6’2’’ 150lbs. enjoy it while it lasts.

sometimes
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply

What the hell is wrong with me?
I'm not who I want to be
I tired spot cream an' I tried it all
I'm crawling up the wall