Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Dee Snider awesomeness!
Quote | Reply
For any Twisted Sister fans. This brings a whole new meaning to this song.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2-DhlrMqKNk

Quote Reply
Re: Dee Snider awesomeness! [TropicPlace] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Not someplace I can listen to the audio, but will later.

I did watch the Twisted Sister documentary on Netflix awhile ago. It was actually pretty good. I had no idea their background and history. I only became aware of them back in the MTV days when We're Not Gonna Take It finally broke them through in the US mainstream...after a very long history of ups and downs.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I once went to a Twisted Sister theamed pnp party.

Civilize the mind, but make savage the body.

- Chinese proverb
Quote Reply
Re: Dee Snider awesomeness! [Endo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Endo wrote:

I did watch the Twisted Sister documentary on Netflix awhile ago. It was actually pretty good. I had no idea their background and history. I only became aware of them back in the MTV days when We're Not Gonna Take It finally broke them through in the US mainstream...after a very long history of ups and downs.

I just watched the documentary. It was very good and covers the early days up to their first Atlantic record, before the hit it big with We're not gonna take it. Fascinating. Respect those guys.

I was interested in the show as in late 1970s Twisted Sister was always playing in the clubs around where I grew up in New Jersey. Always heard of them. Wish I had gone to see them. I also really had no idea about their background.

One interesting thing one of the fans said about late 70s, which was true, nothing to do at night except go to movie or go see a band at a bar.

________
It doesn't really matter what Phil is saying, the music of his voice is the appropriate soundtrack for a bicycle race. HTupolev
Quote Reply
Re: Dee Snider awesomeness! [Duffy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Duffy wrote:
I once went to a Twisted Sister theamed pnp party.

People have prenup parties?

They constantly try to escape from the darkness outside and within
Dreaming of systems so perfect that no one will need to be good T.S. Eliot

Quote Reply
Re: Dee Snider awesomeness! [H-] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
H- wrote:
Endo wrote:

I just watched the documentary. It was very good and covers the early days up to their first Atlantic record, before the hit it big with We're not gonna take it. Fascinating. Respect those guys.

I was interested in the show as in late 1970s Twisted Sister was always playing in the clubs around where I grew up in New Jersey. Always heard of them. Wish I had gone to see them. I also really had no idea about their background.

One interesting thing one of the fans said about late 70s, which was true, nothing to do at night except go to movie or go see a band at a bar.

Yeah, I just thought they were a gimmick band one hit wonder thing back in the 80s. Didn't know their roots before that time.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
TropicPlace wrote:
For any Twisted Sister fans. This brings a whole new meaning to this song.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2-DhlrMqKNk

Lost a close cousin and a schoolmate to childhood cancer. I've never understood how a rational universe makes children suffer through such agonies. And if ever there were a cause worthy of government support and peoples' charity dollars, the fight against this killer is certainly it.

As far as the song, it's great to hear Mr. House of Hair, the immortal Dee Snider, deliver Twisted Sister's iconic piece with such fine voice and phrasing, which perfectly matched the video's subject matter. He still has it more than 30 years later, in other words.

Personally, my favorite song on their "Stay Hungry" album -- from which "We're Not Gonna Take It" came -- was also the song "Stay Hungry." You can tell these guys spent a lot of years paying their dues. Their musicianship and tightness comes through as loud and clear as Snider's anthemic vocalizing throughout.

"Politics is just show business for ugly people."
Quote Reply
Re: Dee Snider awesomeness! [big kahuna] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
We're not gonna take it was never played on the documentary, which mostly takes place before that album. There is a hint of "another story" at end, that of the band once it makes it big. As it was, it was a long flick, 2hr, 15min, but I watched it straight through, despite not being a fan and starting with the intention of just watching for half an hour.

Well done story and interesting. But I was also interested as I grew up in that era in New Jersey. I recognized the names of many of the clubs and had been to two that were close to me. Twisted Sister only played in Manhattan once in those early days (well twice sort of -- and it is quite a story), but in the late 1970s were a staple of the suburban/metro area big clubs within about 100 mile radius of Manhattan. That was the scene shown in the movie.

I graduated high school in 1981 so I remember those days. Also interesting from the movie was that the club scene largely died when the drinking age was raised to 21 in the early 1980s. To me the movie was as much a snapshot, or time capsule, of that era as it was about the band.

________
It doesn't really matter what Phil is saying, the music of his voice is the appropriate soundtrack for a bicycle race. HTupolev
Quote Reply