Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Anyone know any college students in Puerto Rico?
Quote | Reply

Please spread the word.

If you know any college students in Puerto Rico

Pomona College has plans to enroll up to 10 qualified undergraduate students from Puerto Rico affected by Hurricane Maria. Pomona College will waive the accepted students’ tuition and fees, as well as room and board charges, for the Spring 2018 semester.
Undergraduates currently enrolled in an accredited college or university in Puerto Rico are eligible to apply. Those accepted will be able to enroll at Pomona for the upcoming spring semester, enabling them to continue their progress toward a bachelor’s degree at their home institution in Puerto Rico.
Application materials and more information are available online, and the deadline is Dec. 11, 2017.
All students will be notified of their admission decision Dec. 21, 2017. Spring semester at Pomona begins Jan. 16, 2018.
For more information, students from Puerto Rico should contact Adam Sapp, director of admissions, at adam.sapp@pomona.edu.
About Pomona College
Located in Claremont, California, Pomona College is widely regarded as one of the nation's premier liberal arts colleges. Established in 1887, Pomona College is known for small classes, a challenging curriculum, close relationships between students and faculty, and a range of student research and leadership opportunities. Pomona is home to about 1,650 students. www.pomona.edu

More information is available at:
https://www.pomona.edu/...cted-hurricane-maria

maybe she's born with it, maybe it's chlorine
If you're injured and need some sympathy, PM me and I'm very happy to write back.
disclaimer: PhD not MD
Quote Reply
Re: Anyone know any college students in Puerto Rico? [Dr. Tigerchik] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Pomona College will waive the accepted students’ tuition and fees

With the new tax law, I wonder if that means they'd have to pay tax on the waived tuition. (I have no idea how PR taxes work). Since you're a recent grad student, you've probably heard that grad students will owe tax on any waived tuition. Have you heard any discussions on this at your university?

Quote Reply
Re: Anyone know any college students in Puerto Rico? [Dr. Tigerchik] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Pfft. Lots of schools are doing that
Quote Reply
Re: Anyone know any college students in Puerto Rico? [windywave] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote:
Pfft. Lots of schools are doing that

... which is great.

If you're injured and need some sympathy, PM me and I'm very happy to write back.
Quote Reply
Re: Anyone know any college students in Puerto Rico? [schroeder] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote:
With the new tax law, I wonder if that means they'd have to pay tax on the waived tuition. (I have no idea how PR taxes work). Since you're a recent grad student, you've probably heard that grad students will owe tax on any waived tuition. Have you heard any discussions on this at your university?

Yes, my current and former institution were actively lobbying against that. I don't know anything about the current state of affairs.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
There is a FB group called Puerto Rico Maria Updates. Try posting there. It has 250k members - not all active - with a mix of people from the island and the mainland. They'll spread the word quickly.
Quote Reply