Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

1st running race in over a decade, 1mile 10;28 and couldn't be happier!!
Quote | Reply
Yes that is correct, 10;28 but pacing my 6 year old son in his first ever road race. I was such a proud dad at the end, figured he was closer to 15 minutes pre race. He has been doing a low key running club every Monday after school, but they barely run a mile combined in the hour they spend out on the grass.

Of course it would have been a different story without old dad pacing, those little kids run like our dogs, flat out until they can hardly breath, then walk until they can do it again, only shorter each time. Told him not to worry about all the kids in front, wait until the last 3 minutes when we pass all the walkers!! Out in 5;28 back in 5;00, full sprint to the finish!! 9th overall boy 6 and under, and a dad that is now ready and stoked for the 100x 100's!!

https://results.chronotrack.com/...ts/event/event-35408
Last edited by: monty: Dec 2, 17 17:48
Quote Reply
Re: 1st running race in over a decade, 1mile 10;28 and couldn't be happier!! [monty] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
That is awesome! Great job to both Junior and Dad!

Travis Rassat
Vector Cycle Works
Noblesville, IN
BikeFit Instructor | FMS | F.I.S.T. | IBFI
Toughman Triathlon Series Ambassador
Quote Reply
Re: 1st running race in over a decade, 1mile 10;28 and couldn't be happier!! [monty] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Congrats to your son Monty. It's a great ride. Will you get involved coaching youth sport? That was some of the best times in my life coaching kids all the way from grade 1 age to high school seniors.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Negative split!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
damn 6 years old already?

Mike Plumb, TriPower MultiSports
Professional Running, Cycling and Multisport Coaching, F.I.S.T. Certified
http://www.tripower.org
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Nicely done! I still have pix of that Outlaw running his first Margarita Mile with the Womens.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Congratulations Wyatt!!!!!

clm
Nashville, TN
https://twitter.com/ironclm | http://ironclm.typepad.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Awesome! My girls are a little older but I love watching them run and compete.

Formerly DrD
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Great to hear Monty. My son Simon went from 12:57 last year as an early 5 year old (late October birthday) to a very solid 10:05 this year. But the fastest kids (7 years old) both ran 6:32

Simon’s twin Max who has mild CP ran 20:16 in 2016 and 16:10 yesterday.

Both of them were part of the crazy running program this year here in WSNC
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
well done, monty - i just got home from the hospital with my newborn daughter and am already imagining a lifetime of this stuff!

http://howtobeswiss.blogspot.ch/
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Way cool, Monty. Congrats to your son.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
But was he able to keep down the beer at the end?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
That's great. I've got a 2km run with my 7 year old on Wednesday for Finnish independence day. She'll get to meet the big kids that I coach.
Quote Reply
Re: 1st running race in over a decade, 1mile 10;28 and couldn't be happier!! [iron_mike] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
well done, monty - i just got home from the hospital with my newborn daughter and am already imagining a lifetime of this stuff! //

Cant even begin to tell you what your are in for, good thing we are competitors at heart.

And yes it was very cool as I'm not pushing my kid to do anything in particular, just expose him to a lot of different things hopefully in a way where he enjoys them and wants to continue. No swim teams yet, but we do 25's for time from the deck at the end of each play swim, he is down in the mid 40's now just messing around.

But this running thing is going to have the added caveat that old dad is getting excited about running again. Nothing real or concrete has kept me from running, just have not felt like it for quite sometime. But the old fire is coming back, so have to be smart, keep a good supply of Hoka's, and it will be a race to the day when he waits for me in training!!!

And yes Herbert, there are some really fast kids out there, top 6 year old was around 8+ minutes in this race. Then each year you go up that time drops dramatically, I suppose because the bodies of those kids change so quickly. I actually looked at the 60+5k winners time yesterday and thought, I could have done that with minimal training, we will see if my thoughts actually connect with reality!!

Quote Reply
Re: 1st running race in over a decade, 1mile 10;28 and couldn't be happier!! [Herbert] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
That is awesome for Max and Simon.
One of the most impressive things I’ve ever seen including watching many of Chrissie’s wins in person before my med tent shift in Kona was watching one of Heather Gollnick’s twins do the iron kid race at FL70.3 when it was still held at Disney. It takes a heck of a lot more grit for kids with movement challenges to get out there than the naturally athletically gifted.

I start working one weekend a month in WS at Brenner/Forsyth in the NICU starting in January BTW so I’ll get to know your stomping grounds.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Love it!!!

Ian
Quote Reply
Re: 1st running race in over a decade, 1mile 10;28 and couldn't be happier!! [Herbert] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Herbert wrote:
Great to hear Monty. My son Simon went from 12:57 last year as an early 5 year old (late October birthday) to a very solid 10:05 this year. But the fastest kids (7 years old) both ran 6:32

Simon’s twin Max who has mild CP ran 20:16 in 2016 and 16:10 yesterday.

Both of them were part of the crazy running program this year here in WSNC

Really? You're comparing mile times of 5,6 and 7 year olds?

Leave the stopwatches at home.

"Good genes are not a requirement, just the obsession to beat ones brains out daily"...the Griz
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Awww :-)
I assume he can swim?

maybe she's born with it, maybe it's chlorine
If you're injured and need some sympathy, PM me and I'm very happy to write back.
disclaimer: PhD not MD
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Great job Wyatt!

I look forward to seeing you grow and improve, until you dust the Old Man đź‘´

DFL > DNF > DNS
Quote Reply
Re: 1st running race in over a decade, 1mile 10;28 and couldn't be happier!! [stringcheese] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The times from the previous year were a great target for them. Neither of them was going to win so we set the goal to beat last year’s time.

For Max who I “ran” with that really helped to keep him focused
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Monty: "those little kids run like our dogs, flat out until they can hardly breath, then walk until they can do it again, only shorter each time"

Cracks me up! Every local 5 K I do, myself and my buddies line up next to the little guys at the front of the start. They are all ready to win, talking smack with one another. Gun goes off and those kids run like the dickens and after about 200 yards, they start dropping off. Their enthusiasm is great to watch! Then there is the occasional kid who just keeps going, like the 10 year old who finished about 30 seconds behind me this past weekend...that guy ran a low 22:xx race on a 3.2 mile course. He's got some talent.

-----------------------------------------------------------------
Blog: https://swimbikerunrinserepeat.wordpress.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
That's awesome! Your 6 year old is already faster than me!

Quote | Reply
SallyShortyPnts wrote:
Great job Wyatt!

I look forward to seeing you grow and improve, until you dust the Old Man đź‘´

Is that getting "kidded"?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Fun stuff! Shame you slowed him down so much though. Next time find someone his pace to run with him to allow him to go faster!

Just this fall my 14 year old daughter has finally overtaken me. I can now barely break 21 mins for a 5km (18:45 PR) and she is now running low 20 mins. She made HS varsity as a Freshman and had a great season. Now she's doing winter track and loving that too. I will only ever see the back of her heels now...

And yes, it seems like yesterday I wheeled her out of the hospital!
Quote Reply