Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Ultraman World Champs race report [robgray] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I see that you were using Glukos products. How many calories per hour? How does this compare to your old homebrew maltodextrin mix?
Quote Reply
Re: Ultraman World Champs race report [kbd] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
kbd wrote:
I see that you were using Glukos products. How many calories per hour? How does this compare to your old homebrew maltodextrin mix?

About 400 calories per hour on the bike (also had gummy worms in addition to the Glukos), and then 250 per hour on the run.
The main difference is convenience - last year we spent a lot of time mixing drinks - this year we just put 12 scoops of Glukos powder in a large bottle of Arrowhead water (or Crystal Geyser, one of those large bottles), so it was very easy. With the homemade mix I can get more calories in, but with the multi-day approach, my calorie intake during each day is adequate, then I get to refuel after each day. For normal races I still use the homemade mix, because I can get a very good concentration going in a single bottle (like 1200+ calories per bottle). I think Glukos would be too sweet if highly concentrated, plus the malto/fructose combo allows me to take in a bit more per hour.

Are you ready to do an Ultraman? | How I calculate Ironman race fueling | Strength Training for Athletes |
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hi Rob, great result! 400 cals/hr, whats that in total CHOg ? cheers.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Cool, thanks, will check out that cage. I have gotten pretty decent at getting bottles out of it with practice. Still can’t put one in without slowing to almost zero though.

Dimond Bikes Superfan
Quote Reply
Re: Ultraman World Champs race report [ericlambi] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ericlambi wrote:
Cool, thanks, will check out that cage. I have gotten pretty decent at getting bottles out of it with practice. Still can’t put one in without slowing to almost zero though.

I couldn't remember the name, but I looked it up and it's the Elite Pria Pave. Oh yes, getting a bottle back in is quite the feat!

Are you ready to do an Ultraman? | How I calculate Ironman race fueling | Strength Training for Athletes |
Quote Reply
Re: Ultraman World Champs race report [endoverend] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
endoverend wrote:

day 1 was about 500g total CHO for the ride (excluding the 3 x starbucks I had on the swim, which totals 135g CHO)
day 2 was about the same, but the day was almost 8 hours vs about 5 hours of riding the day before (day 2 was about 230 calories per hour, didn't feel like I could take in much more). I did eat quite a bit just before the start of day 2, since there is a lot of extra time for stuff to digest with that first long downhill.

Quote Reply
Re: Ultraman World Champs race report [endoverend] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
endoverend wrote:
Isn't the math there 1g CHO = 4kcal?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hey Rob,

I still didn't read your report - super busy. I just wanted to congratulate you on your huge achievement. Due to family circumstances, I had to pull out of the race but I'm planning to do it in 2018.

Boki
Quote Reply
Re: Ultraman World Champs race report [boki] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks Boki, I look forward to meeting up again in 2018!

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
robgray wrote:
Thomas Gerlach wrote:
All I saw was "supersonics"... Wow, just wow!!! Super congrats!!!

Amazingly they still look brand new. And on the Hilo side the roads are strewn with little volcano rocks and debris. Very impressed with them.

Definitely impressive. Kona is the one place where I am kind of unsure about them. That is because of the rock but there are so many wire bits from blown tire casing (car) as well.

Save: $50 on Speed Hound Recovery Boots | $20 on Air Relax| $100 on Normatec| 15% on Most Absorbable Magnesium

Blogs: Best CHEAP Zwift / Bike Trainer Desk | Theragun G3 vs $140 Bivi Percussive Massager | Normatec Pulse 2.0 vs Normatec Pulse | Speed Hound vs Normatec | Air Relax vs Normatec | Q1 2018 Blood Test Results | | Why HED JET+ Is The BEST value wheelset
Quote Reply
Re: Ultraman World Champs race report [Thomas Gerlach] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thomas Gerlach wrote:
robgray wrote:
Thomas Gerlach wrote:
All I saw was "supersonics"... Wow, just wow!!! Super congrats!!!

Amazingly they still look brand new. And on the Hilo side the roads are strewn with little volcano rocks and debris. Very impressed with them.

Definitely impressive. Kona is the one place where I am kind of unsure about them. That is because of the rock but there are so many wire bits from blown tire casing (car) as well.

Definitely has boosted my faith in them. I'm not sure what prompted me to take this risk, since I've been reluctant to even race Ironmans on them this year. Maybe it's because I had a crew who can replace a wheel as soon as needed, plus I had some GP4000s in case I got multiple flats. I'm going to continue riding them in training and see how long they last. By the way, thanks for the Air Relax code, I got some for this race and they worked great.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Rob, did you ever mention what running shoes you trained and raced in? Did you invest in some of the super cush Adidas Boost type materials?

----------------------------------------------------------
Zen and the Art of Triathlon. Strava Workout Log
Interviews with Chris McCormack, Helle Frederikson, Angela Naeth, and many more.
http://www.zentriathlon.com
Quote Reply
Re: Ultraman World Champs race report [ZenTriBrett] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ZenTriBrett wrote:
Rob, did you ever mention what running shoes you trained and raced in? Did you invest in some of the super cush Adidas Boost type materials?

I ran in Hokas (Clayton) but I think next year will be Adidas. I train in various shoes and switch them up frequently: Nike Lunar Tempo, Hoka Clifton, Hoka Valor, Saucony A5. And occasionally a pair of Nike middle distance track spikes (on track only of course). Touch wood, zero injuries.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Congrats Rob, amazing stuff!
Quote Reply

Prev Next